Author Topic: forks?  (Read 10811 times)

filmermikey

forks?
« on: December 30, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »
well, i now have my land speed project, 1998 kx100, and i plan on lowering it soon, what would be a good strategy to lower the front end? if i just moved the forks up in the triple tree, they would stick up about 10 inches(doesnt seem too safe to me). so should i go to a junkyard and find some fork tubes that will fit from a street bike or should i modify these forks? what are you guys running?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: forks?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 04:36:31 PM »
what class,

we tried that in PP and we had to raise it back up---next year we has some "much softer and shorter springs" --- the ride height  was where we wanted it

I am not a bike guy -- just helped on two different bikes---

in the spirit of Ford Boy ---"So many Cats"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:38:06 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »
Drag straps.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 07:23:52 PM »
have a talk with an 'olskool dragbike racer,, those forks that you have are quiet easy to lower internally,  :-),,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »
First I'd consider tire size because you'll probably have a hard time finding a speed rated tire to fit that rim size. Don't know if you have the standard KX100 or the "big wheel" but dropping down to a 17 is going to lower the front a few inches. That's going to require a different wheel so start by checking to see if you can cross reference the KX100 axle to another Kawi bike and then search for wheels. BikeBandit has all the part numbers. You might be able to lace a smaller wheel onto your hub, too.

Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

filmermikey

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 01:05:29 AM »
First I'd consider tire size because you'll probably have a hard time finding a speed rated tire to fit that rim size. Don't know if you have the standard KX100 or the "big wheel" but dropping down to a 17 is going to lower the front a few inches. That's going to require a different wheel so start by checking to see if you can cross reference the KX100 axle to another Kawi bike and then search for wheels. BikeBandit has all the part numbers. You might be able to lace a smaller wheel onto your hub, too.

its a 19 in the front and a 17 in the rear the kx100 was pretty much an 85 with a big bore kit and big wheels

filmermikey

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 01:45:35 AM »
Drag straps.

Are drag straps legal for el mirage?

Jessechop

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 09:28:43 AM »
When I built the YZ250 to run at Loring I took the forks apart, cut the springs and made spacers for the damper tubes. On the rear I went with a shorter spring. I forget the rate but it was a typical coil over, late model asphalt type deal. I also put a bump rubber on the rear shock

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 09:50:25 PM »
The method described in the previous post has the benefit of increasing the overlap between the inner and outer tubes.  This, and the effect of shortening the fork assembly, makes them more rigid.  It is a good way to do it.