Author Topic: BONNEVILLE 2015  (Read 129430 times)

Offline dw230

Re: BONNEVILLE 2015
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2015, 12:29:39 PM »
Stand by for a statement from the SCTA-BNI shortly. Another trip to the salt is planned for, this will take plance in 9 days.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »
This was just posted on the SCTA Facebook page....

Speed Week 2015
Not cancelled yet, but? Seems like Mother Nature is still not cooperating with us.
The SCTA/BNI met yesterday, July 12, to discuss contingency plans. We will make a final decision on Speed Week no later than July 22nd. We can tell you how it is now, but not how it will be in 10 days.
Our advance team spent the July 4th weekend on the Bonneville Salt Flats trying to find adequate salt to conduct the 2015 Speed Week event; unfortunately without much success. A portion of the courses were still underwater and other areas were suffering from rough and /or muddy salt. A pretty good analysis appeared recently in the Salt Lake City newspaper (see link below) You can see the "Mudflow" on Google Satellite Maps.
While staying optimistic, when and if the entire area dries, we are hoping to find the 7 Miles of dry/smooth salt necessary for the event. The plan is to visit the Salt again on July 20th to assess the situation. It will likely involve attempting to drag/prep some courses.
We are also considering the feasibility of having a "Short course only" event if we are able to find 4 miles of good course. We would like to know how many folks might come for such an event. I will post a survey shortly.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »
They also posted this survey.....

2015 Speed Week Survey – Please Let Us Know ASAP
Please answer our survey by commenting below:
If you are a Spectator put: “Spectator” before your answer.
If you are a Entrant put “Entrant” before your answer.
If the SCTA can conduct an event with only one short course, that is 2 miles run up to a 3rd timed mile, (same entry fee) would you come? Yes / No
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2015, 03:20:18 PM »
Richard is correct. You must "vote" on the SCTA Facebook page. So follow his link.
Michael LeFevers

Offline jh333

« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
Am not in the 21st century yet so no Facebook but count me as a NO vote on the short course only

J. Holland

Offline vette#128

« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »
This was just posted on the SCTA Facebook page....

Speed Week 2015
Not cancelled yet, but? Seems like Mother Nature is still not cooperating with us.
The SCTA/BNI met yesterday, July 12, to discuss contingency plans. We will make a final decision on Speed Week no later than July 22nd. We can tell you how it is now, but not how it will be in 10 days.
Our advance team spent the July 4th weekend on the Bonneville Salt Flats trying to find adequate salt to conduct the 2015 Speed Week event; unfortunately without much success. A portion of the courses were still underwater and other areas were suffering from rough and /or muddy salt. A pretty good analysis appeared recently in the Salt Lake City newspaper (see link below) You can see the "Mudflow" on Google Satellite Maps.
While staying optimistic, when and if the entire area dries, we are hoping to find the 7 Miles of dry/smooth salt necessary for the event. The plan is to visit the Salt again on July 20th to assess the situation. It will likely involve attempting to drag/prep some courses.
We are also considering the feasibility of having a "Short course only" event if we are able to find 4 miles of good course. We would like to know how many folks might come for such an event. I will post a survey shortly.

Slim, how 'bout making this it's own topic??
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2015, 05:28:47 PM »
I know a lot of folks want to see the really fast cars, but there's a whole lot of really cool action occurring on the short courses that often gets overshadowed by the big dogs.  I'd gladly attend a short-course only event, and voted so.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2015, 09:13:34 PM »
Ed, we sort of already do have a topic for the salt condition -- see http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,15107.msg277740/topicseen.html#new

Or do you mean that I should make a separate topic for the SCTA Facebook page stuff -- or what?  Sorry to be dense -- maybe it's the humidity.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2015, 11:21:44 PM »
Sorry in advance to SSS and everybody else for Double Posting this.
But, there are 2 areas where people are posting regarding the current SW info.

ALL !!!!!
Stainless, Jim, everybody who has not voted on the Official Scta FB site.
Please go to the Official Scta WEBSITE, yes Website and vote.
Must be a Pre Entry. Real easy to fill in and click the button. I am not going to include a link.
Just go on the Home Page and vote.
Further more, you all will notice, there will be more than "One" course, if we have the event.
Even if you are not sure if you've voted or not, just go and vote on the Website.
JoAnn and Heather will pick the info apart.

NOW, who wants to go still racing ??

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2015, 11:27:09 PM »
It was simple, It looked simple and it still told me I screwed up.  Somebody tell them yes for me. I quit. I tried the stoopid faceplant site, too. Wayno

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2015, 11:57:10 AM »
Wayno, are you a Facebook member ? Im not sure but maybe you have to be to vote. I am so I cant tell but I have friends who cant see mine because they aren't members.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2015, 12:04:56 PM »
Yep I am. Wayno

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2015, 12:34:25 PM »
I went to the SCTA website and fill out their survey!!  :cry: 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bbarn

« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2015, 02:30:03 PM »
For what it is worth....

If they have three miles of salt and they are running, we are planning on being there. We really need the chance to run the car before we change our minds about the hobby and just give up!

We drove 1/4 of the way to B'ville for the T&T before turning back, why wouldn't we drive the whole way for a T&T we could get records at? We already have rooms booked, the car is loaded, the trailer is packed, the tools are packed, the spares are packed, the chutes are pack (probably going to bring a big one if we only have three miles)...

If nothing else, we can make sure the car is sorted and ready for next year. We can also get some license passes made and who knows, maybe set a record in the 3rd mile...

Maybe the lines won't be long because people are afraid the lines are going to be long. Maybe by Tuesday the remaining people are hot-lapping, anything is possible.

As I posted to the crew this morning when we were all talking about the good things that could happen by a short track/limited season, there is this reality...

The salt is fragile this year, a passing shower could scrub the whole season completely. Not one thing any of us can do to prevent it so just be prepared to look for other opportunities to get your speed fix this year.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.