Author Topic: Digital GPS Speedometers  (Read 8041 times)

Offline frp

• New folks
Digital GPS Speedometers
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:57:45 PM »
I am looking for a digital 300 MPH GPS Speedometer that will be bright enough to see in a sedan bodied car.  I don't want a data logging system just a speedo.

Does anyone know a source for one. Thanks.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Digital GPS Speedometers
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:14:31 PM »
We use a garmin in the lakester... helps you find the racecourse as well... of course speeds are averages for a mile, so if you are trying to upgrade a license remember to be on your number before the mile and hold it...
We use ours to know when it is good to get off the truck and then at the end to get off the track at a safe speed.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
My Race Camera iPhone app displays speed in large numbers (MPH, Knots, and MPH) as well as altitude, heading, elapsed time, elapsed distance, top speed, and g-forces in 3 axis. In normal mode it can be read easily inside a car, but if in the sunshine you can reverse the display to read the numbers better.

In addition, it records the video display for later playback and logs all the displayed data for graphing with Excel.

The only issue is that you have to have and iPhone 4, 5, or 6. Android coming soon!

I developed this specifically for Bonneville LSR because I just could not find anything that displays and records for less than $1000. It works well but more features are coming. When not being used for racing, people use it like a Dash Cam because it has endless loop recording.

Only $4.99! I am not making money on this believe me!

You can download it from iTunes at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/race-camera/id724048633?mt=8
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 11:29:53 PM »
We have one of Don's apps, did not get to race car test it well this year, but it worked great in the truck test thru Wyoming.  For a few bucks it is worth picking up, it could be your answer for a lot less bucks.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 10:47:10 AM »
Don;

I'm looking forward to getting the Android version for my Droid Maxx.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Bookfla

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 03:18:21 PM »
Bob Behn with RBRacing makes a digital Speedo with memory in a stand alone casing. It uses a garmin GPS receiver. Look up RBRacing on the internet and he will have pictures and pricing. They are very good solid units. Hope that helps

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 10:24:21 PM »
  We got a R B Racing Orca speedo last year. Works and looks great. A little pricey but is set to record to 999.9 MPH. Should work for our old Buick powered rig.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline frp

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 12:30:17 PM »
Thanks for all these replies. I am the current PS F record holder and our down run in 2012 was 250.009 at the 4. GPS showed an exit of 260. something. We only ran to the 3 on the back-up BC I thought the motor felt a little "tight" in impound and didn't want to hurt it. Big mistake it was perfect at tear down.

Be back in 15 if there are no floods and just feel it would be helpful to be able to see the speed.

I'll check out all of these suggestions. Please feel free to send more or different options if you know of them.  Jeff @ FRP Engineering

Offline Bob Jr.

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »
There is a downside to seeing the speed while driving!!  You have a tendency to push harder on the pedal when the number is not what you want!!!   :mrgreen:
Bob Sights Jr.

"Speed is no object price is the problem"

Gear Grinder

624 G/BSTR 171.173 El Mirage

627 H/BFMR Bville 176.787, H/BGMR Bville 181.089 G/BFMR El Mirage 180.10, G/BGMR El Mirage 187.534

"Worlds fastest to the cooler of beer"