Author Topic: What do you think about cost control?  (Read 35635 times)

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
Re: What do you think about cost control?
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2015, 02:46:07 PM »
I personally think a lot of the 'liner records in the motorcycle class won't get beat because of a rule change. When the Smokey Yunick of the salt (Jack Costella) started making his little itty bitty cars that were sitting on the ground with 6" wide front wheels he was onto something. Technically yes, they were motorcycle's (spirit of the rules?) and yes he went really fast without a bunch of horsepower, but to punish him and everyone else and saying they now have to lean at a 20 degree angle it became an apples to oranges thing. Now by design the liners have more surface area and less aero and will take more horsepower to go just as fast. They should have the SAME tubing requirements as a 4 wheel car just for the safety aspect, but looking at the rule change it just became harder for anyone to beat him.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »
Brad They did not make the rule to "punish" Jack. The made the rule after one of Jacks riders was killed. The rule was made in the interest of safety!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2015, 04:26:52 PM »
Its interesting to note in the 150cc records that H. Mueller's S/BF record of 150.000 mph is only 1.444 mph slower than Costella-Compton's S/F record set in 2006.  The interesting part is there is 50 years between the two records.  Its not all H.P.  A lot of it is in how you open and close the air.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:28:23 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2015, 05:22:46 PM »
I didn't post up to start an argument or have anyone mad at me. I was commenting with the comments on the "lack" of motorcycle streamliners out there. Did "raising" the motorcycle streamliner height from 3/4" to 3 or 4" make them "safer", hardly. If you're going 200+ mph, 2 or 4 wheels is irrelevant. You make the " living quarters" the safest possible, so you DON'T get killed. Sure it all costs money (trying not to get too far off track) but safety and technology always does. Knowing Jack and his simplicity, his "fuel" record was probably still with gas in the tank. Also the car design of Jack's was outlawed, so I wouldn't plan on seeing any records ever broken with that design, because you couldn't legally make anything that small again.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2015, 05:57:50 PM »
I didn't post up to start an argument or have anyone mad at me. I was commenting with the comments on the "lack" of motorcycle streamliners out there. Did "raising" the motorcycle streamliner height from 3/4" to 3 or 4" make them "safer", hardly. If you're going 200+ mph, 2 or 4 wheels is irrelevant. You make the " living quarters" the safest possible, so you DON'T get killed. Sure it all costs money (trying not to get too far off track) but safety and technology always does. Knowing Jack and his simplicity, his "fuel" record was probably still with gas in the tank. Also the car design of Jack's was outlawed, so I wouldn't plan on seeing any records ever broken with that design, because you couldn't legally make anything that small again.

I don't think anyone is mad at you.  But fear not.  At some stage Jack's records, like most, will be broken.  Designs change and somebody will come up with a design that will allow him (or her) to go faster.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2015, 09:30:19 AM »

Jack is a very talented guy, no doubt. His achievements stand on their own merit, I do like the Smokey assimilation though.
Jack also had a vehicle "red tagged". This was not for punishing or banning him. Rather it was a safety issue and trust me, the SCTA/BNI does its homework before making a move like this.

If I may offer a small bit of advise, take the time to visit one of the SCTA/BNI safety seminars. It is not a propaganda show, rather it is an informative look into safety systems and vehicle construction. It usually has a prominent guest speaker and some of the research is very eye opening. Detailed data and video analysis is incredible, do you remember the Danny Thompson crash at Bonneville a few years ago? Yes, in car video showing the reasons for just some of the current safety requirements.

We as a society have too many laws on the books trying to protect everyone from stupidity. Texting, seatbelts, helmets, etc. really?
The Rulebook is a guide line of minimum requirements to race at SCTA events, watch the video of the Gillespie crash Nov 2013 (hondata el mirage on youtube).

One last comment, the SCTA allows for people like Jack to be inventive, creative and express himself. Try that in some commie racing org.

Stepping down off soapbox now, flame away.

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2015, 09:37:23 AM »
Subscribing
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline racergeo

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
   Thanks to swap meets and Ebay I have an engine that is nearly finished with all top of the line parts for under 4K. If I live long enough I hope to go over 350 with it. You just have to go to about 10 swap meets and bid on about 200 auctions to get the right deals. If you are rich you just call Kenny Detweiler. My engine has under 300 c.i.

Offline JR529

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »
   Thanks to swap meets and Ebay I have an engine that is nearly finished with all top of the line parts for under 4K. If I live long enough I hope to go over 350 with it. You just have to go to about 10 swap meets and bid on about 200 auctions to get the right deals. If you are rich you just call Kenny Detweiler. My engine has under 300 c.i.

I second this.

IMO the only way to have cost control is for the person holding the purse strings to exercise cost control. It can't be driven externally.