Author Topic: What do you think about cost control?  (Read 35685 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: What do you think about cost control?
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »
Fred, I think I'd have used the  :evil: instead of the  :dhorse: in your situation.  I agree about the relative costs, though.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2014, 05:37:06 PM »
When any asks, I say "What price glory?"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »
Well, maybe Tom didn't like the answers... he has left the building... Slim, did you do something to unfriend him?
Maybe it was the overuse of dead horse beating... anyway maybe he will be back after he gets his easy hats with his car. 
Tom, special construction cars... the engine is probably  the cheap part....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »
Nah, I wouldn't do that to a new guy.  Someone like you -- maybe.  But not a new guy. :-D  Especially someone like you. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2014, 02:09:07 AM »
Every year I take an afternoon off from racing to stroll through the pits.  I try to see all the bikes and say hello to folks I know.  There is a decline in the diversity of the different types of bikes and there seems to be fewer people.  The biggest decline is in the number of streamliners.  This is the top end of the racing classes and I know the expenses have hurt at least one team enough so they are not there.

It is inevitable that the records will get so high that only a few are interested in pursuing them.  It might be affecting us now.  We need to consider ways to contain costs and provide opportunities.  It might be vital to do address this in a decade or two if the sport is to have broad appeal. 

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2014, 08:18:58 AM »
I don't think LSR has a very broad appeal.   There are a 1000 participants in a nation of 300,000,000.

Jessechop

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2014, 08:27:22 AM »
I see all this talk about records. I could run pass after pass  and never set a record and I would be fine with that. Just being involved keeps my glass half full.....well sometimes its only 1/4 filled, and sometimes the glass breaks...well you get my point  :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »
I don't think LSR has a very broad appeal.   There are a 1000 participants in a nation of 300,000,000.

Yep if it was easy everyone would be doing it  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ken s

• New folks
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »

Yep if it was easy everyone would be doing it  :-D
  The hard part is taking time from building/crewing/ racing to volunteer your help to make the event happen.  The ones who can are real participants, special thanks to them!

Ken S

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »
That's a valid point, Ken.  We've slacked off on racing one of our bikes -- and manage to keep enjoyably busy enough moving toilets and selling t-shirts & rule books (me, Nancy).  And then there's this website to put stuff on, and helping out with sundry other jobs as they appear.  And with all of this -- it's still a veritable ball for us.

That isn't saying that I don't take my leathers and helmet and stuff with when we go to the salt.  I'll always be begging for rides - no change there! :evil: :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »
 "The biggest decline is in the number of streamliners."

Wobby..I've got to totally disagree with you. This year there were 33 streamliner pre-entries not counting M/C's, in 2005 there were 22 pre-entries (and that's before the economical crunch) and in 1997 there 15 pre-entries.

This shows the class is more popular than ever and we all know others are being built. There were 6 pre-entries for classes over 400..I believe will never lack for streamliners or anything else for that matter...............JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »
You are probably right on this.  I was posting about the number of streamliners I saw running.  It wasn't very many of the really fast ones.  The course condition was the big influence on what I saw.  It was wet around the edges and this likely made some folks stay away.

Offline joea

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »
most of the fastest ones EVER were out there running...in 2014 for the limited time and salt
available......

Vesco Turbinator...Vesco liner..Royal Purple Nish...Danny Thompson...Marlo Treit's Project 550
Speed Demon, Ack Attack, Castrol liner....etal

Offline JimL

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2015, 02:04:17 AM »
Bo (wobbly) you are right about the motorcycle liners at your BMST event.  Not many left in that game.  At Speedweek we also see far more records broken in Vintage or Pushrod bike classes.  There are not many who can afford or ride those superfast, hot rodded superbikes.  They have already reached incredible speeds, far beyond what most of us would ever try.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2015, 02:29:37 AM »
Regarding motorcycle liners, there was the big attempt a few years back to up tubing size.  It would have essentially scrapheaped quite a few of them.

I don't know what the rules folks are thinking right now, but if I were contemplating a bike liner, I'd certainly be looking for an approach that would be able to circumvent any potential disqualification.

So I'd have to add in the cost of a crystal ball - clearly less opaque than the rules committee.

To Tom -

I'm sorry if we came across as harsh, but look at what's happened because you suggested an out-of-the-box idea!

This has turned into a really good discussion, and we'd certainly like to hear your thoughts.

These threads don't always work as the original poster intends, but very good thoughts and information are coming out of it, and we have you to thank for that.

I think you should sign back on.  :cheers:

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: