Author Topic: Rear axle parasitic loss  (Read 11601 times)

Offline Paolo Castellano

Re: Rear axle parasitic loss
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 12:26:05 AM »
Ranked by parasitic loss (lowest first):
Dana 60
Chrysler 8-3/4" (there are 3 pinion types)
Ford 9"

Pictured left to right in the 1st picture is Ford 9" 2.47, then Dana 44 2.72, then Dana Super 44 3.07....

These pics are not to discuss the parasitic loss directly, but for me to point out a few things I noticed and to ask a couple of questions:

The 2.72 standard Dana 44's splined portion is about 1/8" less OD than that of the Ford 9" 2.47. The Ford 9" 2.47 is about 1/16" less in OD than the Dana Super 44 in the Vipers. The Ford pinion has a nice conical step up to the larger diameter from the pinion spline whereas the 2.72 has a right angle step up which now explains why it breaks like glass when any kind of sticky tire gets traction on it as compared to the Super 44's 3.07 with which I have never heard of anybody having a problem.

The Ford's teeth on both the ring and pinion seem to be thicker and have more contact patch ie more drag as well as a more severe helical pitch which makes it seem to sit lower relative the ring gear than the Dana sets which I am sure also contributes to more drag/ drive line loss.

Now a question about the more obvious aspect of the Ford 2.47 which is the bearing support on the back side.... This setup with bearing support on both ends seems like it would allow the ring and pinion to maintain a tighter tolerance in relation to each other within the case which should track more consistently and be able to hold more power.

Any engineers or people who know more about this subject care to elaborate on anything else?

Offline jimmy six

Re: Rear axle parasitic loss
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 10:42:29 PM »
When you consider lubrication oils, Joe Gibbs products have served me well. They even list one for LSR. If you have room, dry sumping is another option. Also there were 3.27 and 3.54 ring and pinions sets for V8 QC's. Slowing the spur gears saves some HP. I have run Pontiacs for 39 years because of their pinion angle.

If you don't need a lot of trans gears there is a 2-speed which houses as set of QC gears on the back. You need to remove the drive shaft and rear trans plate to change them. A friend has 2 of them for sale. Good luck..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro