Author Topic: Rear axle parasitic loss  (Read 11655 times)

Offline V4F STR 60

• Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
Rear axle parasitic loss
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
Well, the Montana Dodge Boys have decided to move ahead with building our V4F lakester for 2015.  Fabrication starts early next year.  I'm sure it's been tossed around here in forums before, but I can't seem to find any HARD DATA about rear axle and OD transmission parasitic losses.  I'm not looking for, "I once read", or "Sparky Smith told me", or "In Australia"...   because we all know pinions spin the opposite direction in the other hemisphere, right?  :?

We do not spin our motor fast, so we need an extremely tall gear...  taller than a 2.75.  BUT, at some point we will be going to V4 and then blown V4 at which time we'll spin another 1000+ RPM.  A blown XXO Chrysler will be on the horizon as well.  I mention this because it means we might need ratios between 2.0 and 3.5 in the next 5 years.

We initially were looking at a Winter's Xtremeliner because of the available 2.0 and 3.08 Ring and Pinion options, but they're stupid expensive and way overkill for a V4F.  The tech guy at Winters assured me that a V8 QC, even with the 3.78 R&P, would be more efficient than the Xtremeliner in our application.

We then thought about a Ford 9" like in our roadster, mostly because we already have ratios from 2.47 to 3.7, but from what I've read, 9" are awfully parasitic because of the low pinion position, and changing a pumpkin in a tank does not sound like much fun.

A salty veteran friend is hell bent on running an airshifted Liberty tranny with OD, but he must have more money than us.

I know Ford 8" are less parasitic than the 9" but we'd have to buy gears, and that doesn't address the issue of swapping it in a cramped tank.

I am leaning towards a Winter's V8 with 3.78 R&P, polished gears, and low drag seals & bearings.

So, here are the questions ~

1. Does a .8 OD tranny have more or less parasitic loss than a QC with a 3.78 R&P geared to a 2.5?
2. How much parasitic loss does the above QC have?  DATA please.
3. How does the parasitic loss of the above QC compare to other rear axle options (other options must have a drop out pumpkin)  DATA please.

Thanks for playing!  See you on the SALT!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:16:59 AM by V4F STR 60 »
Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
1928 Dodge Brothers Vintage Flathead Four Cylinder Roadster & Lakester

Landspeed Records

Bonneville

2009 V4F/STR 115.681
2009 V4F/GR 116.439
2009 V4F/FR 117.597
2010 V4F/BSTR 127.352
2012 V4F/BFMR 130.843
2013 V4F/BGMR 142.956
2013 V4F/BFMR 143.254
2013 V4F/BGR 138.395
2013 V4F/BFR 138.984

El Mirage

2016 V4F/BGMR 140.961

www.facebook.com/MontanaDodgeBoys
www.fastfourspecial.com

Offline jdincau

Re: Rear axle parasitic loss
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »
According to these sources a Hypoid (most popular third members) gear set is 92 to 96 percent efficient at power transmission. A spiral bevel (V-8 quick change) gear set and a single spur gear set are both 99 percent efficient. That makes a V-8 quick change 98.01 percent efficient . Tell me again why I should dump my quick change.

http://www.zakgear.com/Hypoid_worm.html

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Drive/Gear_Efficiency.html
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:27:32 PM »
7.5   2.14 2.28 2.56 2.73 2.92 3.08/ 3.08 3.23 3.42 3.73
8.5   2.41 2.56 2.73
10-12  8/78 (almost the same as Fords 8.8)  2.28 2.42 2.56 2.73 2.92 3.08

"The driving efficiency of an automotive hypoid gear is 92%-96%. Unfortunately the spiral bevel gear can not replace a hypoid gear in an automotive drive axle because it can not transmit as much of torque as a hypoid gear."

old Ford bevel gears are in the 98% range

GM axels are the 96%-95%  range the 7.5 being more efficient

Ford 9"  is in the 92%-91%

Virtually the only company still making car and light truck axels in the USA is American Axels--  spun of GM back in the 80-90s---the reason they are still around---better mileage in this day of mandated fuel economy because they are more EFFICIENT
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:39:14 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:01:45 PM »
Pedro,

A timely post to be sure. The White Goose Bar roadster is stepping up to a Winters for next season. As a result there is a V8-QC available with so many gear sets I can't count. PM me if interested and I will put you in touch with Greg Waters.

Merry Christmas,

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jl222

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 02:21:43 PM »

Doesn't the Nascar Cup cars use the 9 in?

Their fighting for every mph.

JL222

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »
Rules dictate everything used on a Cup car.

Pete

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
I`d be more concerned with the gear reduction you will lose with an overdrive.  Put a manual trans in 2nd gear and try to rotate it by the out-put shaft.  See what I mean ??
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 03:41:39 PM »
Unfortunately the spiral bevel gear can not replace a hypoid gear in an automotive drive axle because it can not transmit as much of torque as a hypoid gear.

It depends on how much torque you need to transmit
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 03:47:01 PM »
I`d be more concerned with the gear reduction you will lose with an overdrive.  Put a manual trans in 2nd gear and try to rotate it by the out-put shaft.  See what I mean ??
Yep, going through an overdrive to get to an underdrive before you get to the wheel.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 05:07:52 PM »
it is all just high school physics ---eng. Torque x T rans. R atio x R ear Axel ratio X T ire Correction = Tractive Effort 

One is also dealing with the parasitic loss of each unit.  The rule of thumb use to be 20%  plus or minus for the whole drive train
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »
Sparky, how does the Mopar 8.75" compare with the Ford 9"?  About the same?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »
If it is a Dana it is in between the them  and if it isn't is still is most likely between them

Offline tauruck

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 07:23:48 PM »
When I saw the subject the first time I thought someone else lost his
rear axle to a "Parasite" too. :-D

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »
There ya go Bob, I recon Sparky just hooked you up with a definate maybe on that one. :-D
  Sid.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:52:17 PM by kiwi belly tank »

Offline mike f

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »
Hi to all: You guys keep throwing around percent this and percent that on gears, but have you ever seen them on a spin-tron machine or a chassis dyno?   What is important and will tell you more is the coast down numbers they show.  I have yet to see a quick change rear axle have better numbers, also how the gears are built and type of bearings used have a great influence on loss.  I would find what ratios work and type you can afford then work from there.  Our Ford 2:30 ratios set a number of records this year on the salt but some quickchange gears also set records so again work within your means and find the little things that will help.  Hope all of you have a good X-Mas and New Year.   Mike   MF Performance