Author Topic: 2nd 100cc APS build  (Read 178250 times)

Offline sofadriver

Re: 2nd 100cc APS build
« Reply #345 on: February 15, 2016, 01:08:56 AM »
last pic showing new handlebar stance.  The steering head mod requires different steering stops and I'm still deciding how to do it (I'm a little short on space). Then it's ready for paint.  Under the circumstances I can't see spending lots of time/ money so the frame will just be dark silver Rustoleum from rattle cans.

Looking forward to the NW Reunion next week.  Hopefully some new LSR news will brighten the day.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:26:43 AM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #346 on: February 15, 2016, 12:46:51 PM »
You have some great improvements there Mike! Good job. Are you doing the welding now?
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #347 on: October 23, 2016, 12:51:21 PM »
Been a long time since I posted here!

I ran at El Mirage in May. It was a disaster (long story) but a terrific learning experience.

I ran at Speedweek. Another disaster (a really long story) and another learning experience.  I did manage to get my rookie pass completed but my ignition box failed just past the one mile and I coasted past the two at 69mph.  I calculate I was at about 93mph at the one mile mark so the 99mph record was easily within reach.  But my week had ended.  The French team set a new record at 101+.

I had been adapting to run BMST but I'd been missing a line in their rules that says footpegs must be in front of the rear axle so this bike will never be BMST legal.  Darn.

Recently, I've chopped off the steering head to resolve the bike's biggest problem - lack of forward vision and a riding position that was causing me to pass out.  I discovered a probable vacuum leak while building a velocity stack so, hopefully, that will cure some jetting problems.  I'll be running an electric water pump this year.  Many more small mods in the works, too.  I will have a spare everything with me  from now on.

I've dropped 11 pounds (cut my sugar intake) and should be fitting into my "skinny" drag race cut leathers with ease.  They are much more aerodynamic and weigh about half my bulky road race leathers.

I'm more determined than ever and plan to kick some serious a$$ at Speedweek 2017.

Good luck to everyone this year and Save the Salt!
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #348 on: October 23, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »
Mike,

" lack of forward vision" - - - I can certainly relate to that!  I wish they'd put the black centerline back on the course.  Seeing those flags whiz by at 150 mph 1/4 mile apart can be disconcerting when your eyes are only 30" off the surface.

As for footpeg location, I read this in the rules:

CHAPTER 7
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION (A) CLASS
"7. F. FOOT PEGS
Mandatory equipment, location of foot pegs is discretionary." 

Tom
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:33:50 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #349 on: October 23, 2016, 09:15:09 PM »
Thanks, Tom.  You're right.  I re-read the BMST rules and I must have been looking in the wrong class before.  Oh well, I wouldn't have made it anyhow.  Maybe next year I will.  Still won't be able to run the body, though. It's totally non BMST.

By "lack of forward vision" I mean I could only see about 30' in front of me!  :-D.............. :oops:
I've shortened (raised) the lower part of the steering head by over an inch.  Since it's only a few inches from my face I should have a much taller "window". (keep in mind that I'm looking under the lower fork tree.)  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:18:22 PM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline roflhat

« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2020, 06:03:06 AM »
Just finished going through this incredible build thread, just wondering if there's a follow up?
Truly awesome work!