Author Topic: 2nd 100cc APS build  (Read 178230 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: 2nd 100cc APS build
« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »
Someone needs to do something here on the forum.

There should be a trophy of sorts awarded to the member of the month or year or whatever.

There are guys doing some awesome work outside of their comfort zone, I mean stuff they have not studied or trained for.

This forum is awesome and inhabited by awesome members and I vote for Sofadriver as "Man of the month".

Dude, you're the embodiment of what LSR is all about. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Mike (Sofadriver) definitely gets my vote too!!!! What a great job.

Mike, regarding using force I have a saying that you have probably heard:
"If it won't go, force it, if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway!"

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2015, 05:35:38 PM »
I second, or third, or whatever that!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2015, 08:24:31 PM »
What kind of releasing agent are you using, do you use any PVA (Poly Vinyl A-something) on the mold?  It is the green stuff that you either spray on or brush on.  It is alcohol based and is a good barrier for polyester resin and maybe for epoxy, but I am not sure.  You wax the material when it dries, or not and lay up on the mold.  The material is water soluble so when you take the part off you just wash the green stuff that is still on the part with soap and water. 
Keep up the work, looking good!

Matt Guzzetta

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2015, 01:04:07 AM »
Well, thanks Mike, but I'm just fooling around with a little motorcycle and some fiberglass.   Guys building 33' long streamliners from scratch all by themselves deserve awards.  Or guys who survive 200mph motorcycle crashes and then come home and make plans to build something even faster!  Or guys who've spent years refining little sports cars to go way faster than their little agricultural engines were ever meant to go.

I like keeping this build diary up to date.  It's a good way to chart my progress and get new ideas.  And I get to see all the innovative things that other people are up to.  The cool thing about this forum is that most everybody "gets it".

Anyhow...........today I got to see what's only been in my imagination for two years.  The front fender blending with the body.  I try to explain this to people and usually get blank stares.  Nice to see it in the flesh.  I have to fit the upper fairing yet.

Gettin' close.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:14:37 AM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2015, 01:13:19 AM »
What kind of releasing agent are you using, do you use any PVA (Poly Vinyl A-something) on the mold?  It is the green stuff that you either spray on or brush on.  It is alcohol based and is a good barrier for polyester resin and maybe for epoxy, but I am not sure.  You wax the material when it dries, or not and lay up on the mold.  The material is water soluble so when you take the part off you just wash the green stuff that is still on the part with soap and water. 
Keep up the work, looking good!

Matt Guzzetta

I've got some PVA but have never used it.  I don't really know why.  The problem here was the fender wrapping so far around the wheel and the tops of the fork sliders, too.  Now that it's been trimmed and the mold parts are gone it's (almost) easy to get it over the wheel.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2015, 01:32:28 AM »
Awesome job Mike. :cheers:

Just touching on what Matt said about PVA release agent.

Will you be making any molds or are all the parts one off?.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2015, 01:37:34 AM »
It's a one-off so no plans for molds now but if I run BMST rules next year I might need to.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Always good to have a spare set of body work at the track for in case.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2015, 12:19:13 PM »

Always good to have a spare set of body work at the track for in case.
Isnt that what duct tape is for?  :-D
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #249 on: April 23, 2015, 01:12:44 PM »
A lot of sanding went into getting that fender smooth. Bet your skin is itching like all hell.

Joe

Offline debgeo

« Reply #250 on: April 23, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »
Isnt that what duct tape is for?  grin

Just ask Nascar guys :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »
I'm going back to Mike/Tauruck's post about awarding the builder of the month or something.  We used to do something like that - really.  That is, when we made the Salt Talks t-shirts we'd feature the best/most commented upon vehicles of the previous year or so.  It was our way of giving them some extra accolades for their good work.  We quit doing that when it became obvious that the shirts were not selling well enough to pay for themselves.  Nowadays I've been auctioning the places on the shirts.  The three or four highest bidders get to place their vehicle (or, within reason) just about anything they want on the shirt.  No, we won't run with Freud's bare butt again nor the crew mooning the camera woman (Nancy would take the photos - - but might be ill directly after, you see :evil:). 

Anyway, I'd be happy to go back to putting great builds on the shirts - if I could find a way to monetise the shirts enough that we'd profit a bit for the site.  As it is now we can make a bit of money because we create the shirts in our laser and design shop, and that cuts costs down massively.  But we then need to sell more than half of them, like we unfortunately often do, to make a real profit.  And that is with our shop doing all of the work for free.  If you really, really want the fine builds on the shirt -- find us some big bucks and we'll do that, okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #252 on: April 24, 2015, 01:24:52 AM »
A lot of sanding went into getting that fender smooth. Bet your skin is itching like all hell.
Joe

I wear a Tyvex suit with elastic cuffs for sanding.  They're awesome.  For the fender I just used a random orbital sander hooked up to my wet & dry vacuum.  There was almost no dust at all. 

Good progress today.  Got the upper fairing cut to fit and properly cut the windshield opening shape.  There's still some final trimming but I'll wait until the body gets mounted for that. 

From the side it looks like there's a pretty big gap between the fender and fairing.  From an angle you can see the fender overlapping the fairing.  From the front the air should just see one long, smooth shape.  (I hope)
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2015, 12:58:47 AM »
Been doing lots of detail work on the body.  Trimming, sanding and some light Bondo stuff.  Almost done but have to finish up the arm openings I cut today.  Bottom pic is the final trim (painted red to show the tech committee).  Then another coat of primer filler and final sanding.  I think I recall having said "should be ready for paint next week" about a month ago.  :roll:

I got the Harbor Freight trailer I bought assembled, wired and registered.  http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html  (Hey, COOL! It was only $279 last week when I bought mine.  :-) ).  Repacked the bearings with better grease today.  The trailer wiring kit I bought for the van was defective so I have to wait for the replacement to get here before I can use it.

It's always something. 

Still waiting on the motor.  Feeling lots of anxiety.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2015, 10:13:54 PM »
After weeks of 12hr days at work and the rest of the time working on the bike, I'm pretty burnt out.  Took the evening off from the bike.

Motor guy called last week and said it's almost done and "man, this thing is gonna rock and roll!".  COOL ! 
Now I can't get hold of him again.  :x :-(

Lots of bits on order.  Many more to be fabricated.  Supposed to get started on that stuff this weekend (fingers crossed).

Paint plans have changed.  Going back to the old Safety Yellow Rustoleum.  I'm just not going to have time to prep for a spiffy paint job.  It's a race bike after all, not a show bike.  And a really nice paint job will pretty much guarantee I'll drop it at or before Speedweek. :roll:  Besides, I've already got it and the bills for my daughters wedding are starting to come due. ( I'm bleedin' money here. )

Ready for paint..........
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833