Author Topic: 2nd 100cc APS build  (Read 178232 times)

Offline joea

Re: 2nd 100cc APS build
« Reply #180 on: March 23, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »
Mike, the change /adjustment to tail might possibly be one of those "blessing in disguises"

I honestly don't know how much of an effect the tail has on bikes, no certain how effective or in effective they are at reducing drag and or increasing stability

But...you will be adding surface area to the rear, and raising it, hopefully it helps with the air coming off you and the front of the bike

I think its common to assume it will help, but as with most assumptions it's a crap shoot imo, until proven out, there are a lot of bikes that are very stable with minimal tails, and nearly naked, and many bikes that are struggle with swoopy body's

At any rate, many find some gain in speed when butt raised a bit, your adjustment in height will be near that region, so hopefully this helps, you may consider an assortment of removable tail fin configurations that can be readily swapped out in your quest to find more speed

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2015, 01:14:32 AM »
Well, Joe, you may be right about the blessing in disguise.  We'll see.  This re-do is bringing me back to how it was supposed to be in the first place.

The multiple tail sections will have to wait for another year.  I've got a list of things to do as long as your arm and the clock is ticking.

Today after work I cut off that tire hump and cut an old 180/60 - 17 rear tire in half to slip over my little rear tire for the correct shape and clearance.  I'll have plenty of room now.  Fairing it in will be a challenge.  I'm thinking I'll hot glue both ends of 1/16th welding rods to the surface of the tail and let them bow around the dummy tire naturally.  That should give a nice smooth shape.  That's the plan, anyhow.  For now.  Maybe.  :|  :-D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:18:59 AM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline joea

« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »
i wasnt suggesting multiple tails....only multiple fins, in case you had remorse or wondering about
the effect of going without the first one

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2015, 01:04:28 AM »
Joea, I believe you were right about the blessing in disguise.  The new framework I've made is better and it's what I had planned in the first place.

I used 1/16" aluminum welding rod to make a "birdcage" around the dummy tire.  I let the rod make it's own bow shape and it came out really well.  Only problem is that the rod is so easily bendable I don't think I can tape directly over it without damaging the shape.  Steel rod would have been better but I had the alum. laying around.  I plan to wet out some 1" strips of glass cloth and just drape them over it to get some structural strength before I apply the skin.  I thought of using paper mache' but I'm worried it might turn to mush when I try to lay on the glass. 
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2015, 01:47:52 AM »
Mike, it doesn't appear that you've allowed for tire growth. It's an unfortunate fact even at relatively low speeds. You may want to check that out before you redo that glass. It would be a shame to have to do it again after the body was completed. Then again, are racing vehicles of any sort ever completed if they're serious?  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »
The tire you can see is the old street tire I cut and slipped over the real tire. I also put little half inch blocks between them for more clearance. I'll have over an inch clearance above the race tire when done. 
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2015, 11:50:32 AM »
Mike, if you lay wetted cloth over the wires you will have to do a lot of filling to get it smooth (as you know). Why not use your spray foam to fill in the gaps between the wires and then sand to the wires, then do your aluminum tape trick?
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2015, 03:26:03 PM »
Mike, if you lay wetted cloth over the wires you will have to do a lot of filling to get it smooth (as you know). Why not use your spray foam to fill in the gaps between the wires and then sand to the wires, then do your aluminum tape trick?
Don
Yeah, I think you're right, Don. If I go acros the rods I'll link them together without disturbing them.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2015, 06:51:50 PM »
Put duct tape or masking tape over the wires first and then glass it.
Take a more diagonal route, less sag.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2015, 12:11:32 AM »
I did the foam thing yesterday and it worked well.  I found that the technique is to hold the nozzle perpendicular and about 1" or so from the surface. That way the foam catches on the rods and then surrounds the rods as it expands.  I sprayed the foam in single strips about 4" apart.  After letting that expand and cure about an hour I shot more foam into the remaining gaps (about 1").   I came back today and trimmed it all down to the wires with my Fein tool and foil taped it.  Nice and sturdy. :-D  I'll glass it tomorrow.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2015, 01:00:14 AM »
Awesome job Mike. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2015, 01:06:11 AM »
Awesome job Mike. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I was thinking the same thing. You did a really nice job of blending the shapes.

Pete

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #192 on: March 29, 2015, 12:34:58 AM »
Thanks.  Actually the rods did all the work.  I can recommend this method when there's no good way to support the body form. Use steel rods, though.  Despite that, I'm not very happy with the whole top of the tail section but it will have to wait for next winter to be changed. (always gotta' have a project  :-D )

Me and the belt sander went at it hot & heavy today!  There's a few thin spots and burn-thrus but I've been planning to do some reinforcing from the backside anyhow - so no biggie.  All in all, I'm real happy with it.  When I got to the lower sections I rolled the bike on it's side to make things easier.  :evil:

Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2015, 12:24:04 AM »
Today I got to do a little of the fun stuff - rippin' and tearin'!  :-D :-D
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2015, 01:36:56 AM »
Weird feeling tearing up all the hard work hey Mike?. :-D