Author Topic: 2nd 100cc APS build  (Read 178658 times)

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
Re: 2nd 100cc APS build
« Reply #300 on: July 14, 2015, 06:50:26 AM »
It is all in the pipe on a two stroke. If the pipe was designed was for a MX bike it would be perfect.
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #301 on: July 14, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
" One mistake with this statement an engine running 11000 rpm is turning at 183 Hertz. Hertz are cycles per second."

Marc

Marc, Thanks for catching that, it was either to early in the morning or to late at night, I don't remember which. Helmholtz resonator still could be a good thing to do.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #302 on: July 14, 2015, 06:10:57 PM »
Mike

I fitted Lectrons to my Suzuki RGV 250 based Bike (V Twin Reed Valve/Crankcase Induction 2 Stroke) and they take a bit to get used to ... but worth it ...

Set the slide height and leave them alone ... tune everything in the lower end, including idle, off the Metering Rod (aka needle) once that is running clean you should not have to change it until you make changes to the engine ...

Then use the Power Jet for the Top end and any further tweeking

As makr says the pipe plays a critical role in determining your powerband ....

A few other things I have found when sorting out my Tune ....

Make sure the Carb is well supported and cannot vibrate too much ....

Having an Air Box is essential so the Carb gets still air to draw from ...

I have fitted a Zeeltronic "ECU" ... it has a CDI built in and allows you to control the Ignition Timing and the Exhaust Power Valve opening ....

By having adjustment on these two things you can juggle the Jetting/Ignition/Power Valve and maximise the Pipe ...

Exhaust Power Valves are often overlooked and having them working does make a difference in extending the influence of the Pipe ...

Trouble is each engine responds differently and getting it sorted takes time ...

But for this year run it a bit rich, get the Riding/Handling stuff sorted and have fun

Pete  :cheers:
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #303 on: July 15, 2015, 01:12:07 AM »
The modern Triumph Bonnevilles have a Helmholz resonator plate in the air box.  It functions just like folks on this thread says it should.  It provides resonance at critical frequencies to smooth out the torque curve.  The concept works.   

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #304 on: July 15, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »
Mike,
Looking at your BMEP (Brake Mean Effective Pressure) I come up with around 144 psi which is not bad but remember that when the GP class was 500 cc two strokes they had a BMEP of over 210 PSI, again they were rotary valve two strokes with lots of electronics that you don't have but they did make over 250 HP!  I would certainly expect your BMEP to be in the 160+ area which would give you HP in the 23-24 hp range. An I agree with Marc that most of the extra HP will be found in the expansion chamber. Lots of volume fairly steep angles on both expansion cone and exit cone. This of course makes the engine have a much narrower power range but HP is what makes you go fast. What design did you base your expansion chamber design on?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #305 on: July 17, 2015, 10:40:29 AM »

But for this year run it a bit rich, get the Riding/Handling stuff sorted and have fun

Pete  :cheers:
Thats the plan.
I'm just trying to get it ready for Speedweek now. Lots of little things plus paint & windscreen. I'm still working 12hrs every day and getting pretty burnt out.
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #306 on: July 21, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »
Looks like I'm going to try for BMST now that SW is canx. My fairings will be illegal there so I'll run in Open class. Might run the fairings in runwhatyoubrung but, at this late date, that would bring my entry fees up to $1000. :-o  Sure would be nice to know how well they work.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #307 on: August 06, 2015, 02:02:54 AM »
Look at Scooter's pix for the 2014 speed trials on www.scootershoots.com.  Note that there are lots of bikes running with front wheels shrouded by the fairing like yours. 

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #308 on: August 10, 2015, 12:59:07 AM »
Look at Scooter's pix for the 2014 speed trials on www.scootershoots.com.  Note that there are lots of bikes running with front wheels shrouded by the fairing like yours.  

Nope, not like mine.  BMST won't let you cover the wheel below the axle.

Thanks for all the tuning tips, guys.  Those will be winter projects.  I've been thinking about what the first and 2nd motors have in common.  #2 should make gobs more power but that's not the case.  The timing's the same (used the same cases and never messed with the timing plate).  Ignitions' the same.   The pipe is the same but cut and turned to face forward with a new stinger that's 12x as long as the i.d. of the head pipe and the i.d. is almost exactly 59% of the head pipe (1/16" smaller than #1 ........ all textbook stuff).  I'm wondering if having my EGT probe inserted too far into the pipe could be causing some sort of wave resistance.  It's too late to re-dyno it now but I'm going to move it so there's only about 1/4' in the pipe.  Can't hurt.

Been making lots of good progress but changing rules for BMST has taken lots of time.  Realized the other day that I didn't have 10" between my thumbs so have to make new bars, etc., etc.  I made up number plates and frame tabs, built leg cradles and a butt plate to keep my nether regions from rubbing on the rear tire (nasty scenario there!).  Shock mounted my spiffy new tach and EGT gauges.  And much more.  BTW, I'm pretty jazzed about this tach.  16k rpm, super easy to read, temperature gauge (with  sensor) and programmable, built in warning/shift lights.  It's really a quality unit. Gave it 9volts, hooked a wire to the coil and I was good to go.  $179 from Schnitts Racing (I suspect that's one guy working out of his garage but ........ more power to him).

Oh yeah.  Finally painted it.  (still have to add the black pinstripes that separate the colors).  I ordered two GULF stickers on flea bay.  Real retro.   Maybe some really rich guy will invite me over to take some pics next to his Lemans winning Porsche 917.  (ughh - yeah, right)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:10:05 AM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2015, 01:04:35 AM »
pics...........
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #310 on: August 10, 2015, 01:06:10 AM »
and more.........
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #311 on: August 10, 2015, 04:46:15 AM »
It looks great Mike.
Wish you lots of success.
You deserve it. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #312 on: August 10, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »
I hope your not camera-shy..............lots of pics WILL be taken of this baby :-D
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #313 on: August 11, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »
I love it! Looks great sofa! And by the way, Thanks to you and Mike for the fiberglass tips!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #314 on: August 11, 2015, 02:38:53 PM »
I love it! Looks great sofa! And by the way, Thanks to you and Mike for the fiberglass tips!
Thanks guys.
Mike has the knowledge.  I just wing it.
Still have lots to do.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833