Author Topic: 2nd 100cc APS build  (Read 178256 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: 2nd 100cc APS build
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2015, 01:19:50 AM »
The unfortunate part is no matter what we see or how we see it we are not inspectors.  But please get it sorted before you head for the salt.  Having had the experience of arriving on the salt and the inspector says "That's illegal" and having to make on the salt mods to make the inspector happy (not to mention pass tech so I could run) its best to get it sorted before you go.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2015, 10:02:12 AM »
 :-D :-D :-D
I heard from tech and his concern was the lack of arm openings so I'll mark the proposed openings on the buck and send him a pic.
What a relief.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:13:39 AM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2015, 01:00:44 AM »
Front half is ready for glass.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2015, 12:49:29 AM »
Heading towards the tail section. Lots of details. My friends accuse me of being overly anal. I hope it pays off.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2015, 02:02:34 AM »
I've got the leg supports done. I've been stalled for days since I don't have anyone to mark the forms while I'm on the bike.

I had the frame builder over this morning to offer some tips and insights on mounting the body. I've never mounted anything with Dzus fasteners before. He made nice comments about the build which was reassuring since he's built many Pro-Mod drag bikes and knows his stuff. If he didn't like something he would have said so.

The pink foam in the pics is the shape of the upper tail fairing.  Viewed from above, the shape will cover half my legs from one foot all the way around my butt & down to the other foot. (Think "turtle shell"). Tricky to do since it's got to be snug to keep air from under it but I still need to get my legs in & out.

Glad this is almost done since this foam is really dusty and I'm tired of the mess! I'm off this week and should start on the glass on Tuesday. Hopefully, I can have the body off the buck by next weekend.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2015, 02:58:05 AM »
The amount of work and attention to detail is unbelievable.

Mike, you've outdone yourself.

You deserve a record. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2015, 03:45:17 AM »
Thanks.
Hope everything is shaping up for you again.

I deed to ask for some advice. Gonna send you a PM.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2015, 12:12:31 AM »
Mike, how did you get on?.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2015, 02:14:08 AM »
Mike, how did you get on?.

I hope to be starting the glass Tuesday. Thanks for the tip about tinting the resin. :cheers:  It's really hard to tell one layer from the other.
A while back you suggested using a little spray contact cement to hold the pieces in place before applying resin. Doesn't that make it hard to remove the piece from the plug? Does the resin "neutralize" the glue?

I got some good measurements today (Thanks, Don!) and the tail section is now all glued in place and any gaps have been filled with spray foam. Should be ready for glass Tuesday.  :-D
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2015, 11:12:58 AM »
Spray 77 is better used on a cloth fabric/Epoxy application.

I wouldn't waste it on Poly. You'll be using release agent on the silver tape right???.

I'm challenging you to just go out and try a sample Epoxy cloth matrix.
I'm sure your local supplier will give you a free lesson.
It's as easy as "Bull Slap", remember?.
It will change your life. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The difference between the breaking  record is Poly vs Epoxy!!!!!!!

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2015, 02:33:33 AM »
Mike, I've done several boat repairs with epoxy and it's the sharp corners that give me fits. I'm going the wimpy route with poly and mat. I noticed there's a mat out now that can be used with epoxy but I can't get it locally and I need to get this done while I've got the week off.

Made good progress today but won't be ready for glass tomorrow. Too many final prep things to do. Masking, release wax, etc.  Most of all I need to clean the shop!!

Top & center pics; Finished the "turtle shell" over my legs and the tail cone. I've started the bump for rear tire clearance.  That bump will end in a horizontal fence at the rear of the tail cone. I figure it will add a little stability (except in crosswinds) and look kinda' coolish.  :evil:

Bottom pic; The full side profile is visible now. I'll cut the tail cone off at 10" after the body and wheel is mounted. Add an inch for the front fender and it's going to come in right on the money at 107" overall (Yayyy! Something actually came out like I planned it !!)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 02:40:24 AM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2015, 06:38:46 AM »
Mike, the aero guys often make the comment that "it's not how an object enters the air, it's how it leaves it". It seems to me that you've worked rather hard to disturb the air as little as possible the full length of the bike. I would think the horizontal fence at the rear of the bike, especially seeing as how you're dealing with limited horsepower, might nullify all of the work you've done further forward. I'm certainly no aero expert, but I'd certainly look into it before you go stirring up the air at the back.

Pete

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2015, 08:56:53 AM »
Mike, the aero guys often make the comment that "it's not how an object enters the air, it's how it leaves it". It seems to me that you've worked rather hard to disturb the air as little as possible the full length of the bike. I would think the horizontal fence at the rear of the bike, especially seeing as how you're dealing with limited horsepower, might nullify all of the work you've done further forward. I'm certainly no aero expert, but I'd certainly look into it before you go stirring up the air at the back.

Pete

Thanks, Pete.  I can't describe this fence (fin) in words so after it's built I'll post some detailed pics.  I'd appreciate some comments then because I'm no aero expert either.  I can always change or remove it.  The important thing is that it ends up as slippery as possible.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
Mike,
I am really intrigued by your body build, it has gotten me to completely rethink how I am going to "eventually" build the body for my lakester. Once you get the plug all taped and start laying some glass what is your plan for getting the body off of the plug?

Really neat project. I will be watching your build very closely.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2015, 07:47:16 PM »
A Sawz-all,  12" channel loks, small prybar and a 2lb sledge should do it.

There will be 4 body sections. Nose, sides/belly and tail (cut vertically below the rear axle).
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833