Author Topic: 2nd 100cc APS build  (Read 178877 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: 2nd 100cc APS build
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2015, 10:19:03 AM »
One thing that you do not hear too much about is the streamlining of the front and rear wheel spokes. Yours are pretty small so maybe they are OK, but it takes a lot of power to overcome the air drag when they are spinning fast. I have thought about putting some sort of airfoil shape on my Hayabusa wheels because the spokes are big and round, absolutely the worst shape for aero. It is something to consider to get that extra 1/10th of a MPH.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2015, 11:20:19 AM »
I can't really tell where your head will be when you're in riding position, but from your post # 43, it looks like the front of your helmet is just about in line with a vertical line at the back of the front wheel.  Are you sure your bodywork is not going to enclose part of your head, which is not permitted?  And the further back you position your body and head, the less peripheral vision you will have which can get confusing at speed. Otherwise, it looks like you've nailed the perfect shape so far.
Tom
You've got sharp eyes, Tom. The top fairing will end two inches in front of what you see now. I just placed that form there to get the shape.
Any comments about the aeros in that curved area under the upper fairing?
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2015, 11:27:22 AM »

Are you going to use a water tank or a radiator?

Bones
Another unanswered question  :-D
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2015, 05:58:07 PM »
Sofa
   You're doing it wrong ( sitting on the can )
  You need the special thinking stool and a beer and sit and look at the bike---   eventually it will tell you what is needed :-D
  Some times it takes a few beers

With the latest picture and the email I think you are on a winner
   Are you going to use a water tank or a radiator?

Bones

I used to build custom HD bikes. The first won a show beating out 200 others.
Customers arrived wanting different designs. I'd used up all I had on the first one.

All the others were called Tequila Design. Same stool deal and after a while the outrageous came thick and fast.
OK guys, I don't do that anymore. :-D

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2015, 12:48:20 AM »
One thing that you do not hear too much about is the streamlining of the front and rear wheel spokes. Yours are pretty small so maybe they are OK, but it takes a lot of power to overcome the air drag when they are spinning fast. I have thought about putting some sort of airfoil shape on my Hayabusa wheels because the spokes are big and round, absolutely the worst shape for aero. It is something to consider to get that extra 1/10th of a MPH.
Don
I've given that some thought and haven't come up with anything good. If you looked at a cross section of one of my spokes it would be a "C" shape with the open part alternating left & right every other spoke. If I were to fill the open part it would only make the spoke fatter. I still think about discs over the rear wheel but I can't put them high on my priority list right now. Last fall I expected to be testing the bike in April but that's never going to happen. I'll probably be wrenching on this until the night before I leave for the salt.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »
That's racing Mike.
If it wasn't for the 11th hour nothing would get done. :-D

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2015, 12:44:55 AM »
Finally got the front 2/3s of the buck done to where I could primer that super soft foam. That should make it easy to do a light color sanding
I made a little stand to set a helmet on. Now I can really see how it's shaping up. My head, and the rear of the fairing, will actually be about 4" further forward when done.

While using a belt sander to make the fairing a little narrower in front of my helmet I touched the foam.  :cry: :cry: :cry:. I'm going to fill it with drywall mud. It's the only thing I can think of that will sand really easily. I could fill it after the glass is on but I really want to keep Bondo to a minimum. Darn it!
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline tauruck

« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2015, 01:21:25 AM »
Mike, with the amount of work you're putting in you deserve a record.

This is intense stuff. Man, I'm impressed. This is what LSR is about
although I haven't raced yet.

Buy some fairing paste from a supplier that sells composites.
It sands easier than Bondo by a long shot.
It was developed for the type work you're doing.

Your attention to detail will pay off. :cheers:

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2015, 07:09:27 AM »
Have you made sure you can move the handlebars lock-to-lock with your hands and forearms in place?  I ended up bumping my fairing out to be able to do so without hitting the fairing - - twice!  Better to find out now than after your fairing is made.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2015, 11:01:32 AM »
Thanks, Tauruck. It keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.
Koncrete kid - yeah, I did the same on the last build, too. On this one, the bulbous nose is giving me more room around the handle bars.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2015, 02:34:18 AM »
I taped on a front fender shape and figured out how I'm going make it flow with the fairing and still be able to have fork travel and rotation. I never could picture it in my head. As soon as I put that pink shape on it all became clear.

Also got started with the aluminum tape. Wooohooo - shiney!  :-D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:34:59 AM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
Love the front fender! With the top part of the wheel covered the lower part is not as critical as its' speed relative to air speed actually goes to zero at the point of contact with the salt. Very neat!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2015, 10:10:57 PM »
Sofa, that is looking great! :cheers: I would love to see what the CD is in a wind tunnel. It sure is going to be slippery!

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2015, 01:01:24 AM »
Thanks, guys. Yeah, I'd love to see it in a wind tunnel too but it's never going to happen. The only things left in my budget for this year are Speed Week and my daughter's wedding. Both in August. I'll be eating lots of top ramen this fall. :-(

Didn't get a whole lot done today. Got the bike and lift turned around to start on the tail section (not an easy job in my little shop) and made a new stand to allow me to work on the tail. I ran some 7/16 threaded rod thru a frame tube and then thru some braces.  (have you checked the price of threaded rod lately?!!  :-o) Works good and makes the back end wide open. Lots of work to do back there.

I'm waiting for a response from SCTA tech or I would have finished taping the nose.  I sent a pic in for approval yesterday. I haven't seen another bike with a front end like this so figured I'd better get an OK before going any further. Shouldn't be any problems. (fingers crossed)
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2015, 11:50:09 PM »
I heard back from SCTA tech and he said the nose and fender were fine but the rest of the fairing was illegal !  :-o :-o :?
That was a real shocker. I can only assume it's because he wasn't seeing any arm openings. Everything else is straight out of the rulebook. I e-mailed back to assure him they'll be put in after the basic body shape is done. (the buck's framework keeps me from getting my arms in there)
I'm sure that's the case but, for now, the anxiety is killing me.
Anyone else see anything wrong with this fairing? I've re-read 7.G.11 of the rulebook about 20 times.  :?

I've spent all week on the tail section (well, 3 hours after work every night). Lots of fitting around the bike and fitting me on it. This requires a custom fit and it's a tough one when my eyes and arms are at the other end of the bike. Somewhere there's someone with a 3D scanner and milling machine that could make a mold for this in a snap. I doubt we will ever meet.  :-D
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833