Author Topic: Just in time for Christmas  (Read 20521 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Just in time for Christmas
« on: December 11, 2014, 08:03:04 PM »
During the '14 racing season I got a few items to use as fund raisers for the website -- and I can't think of a better time than today to let you know what's available.  They're being "sold" here -- but really they'll be available for donations to the site.  It's winter and there aren't many donations -- none at all from the racing events per se...'cause there ain't no events happening.

So, to wit:  For Salt Talks '14 (which didn't happen, thank you Mr. Rainstorms) I've got a wonderful picture on canvas that Pork Pie intended for us to sell at Salt Talks.  I've still got it and think it's time to get it turned into $$.  I hope PP will chime in here and give the story behind the picture, but in the meantime -- it's of the Phoenix slowing, with chute out, after a run.  He's got the details -- but it is a great shot.  It's a photo that he took and had printed on canvas so it appears to be a portrait for hanging on your wall.  He insists that it should sell for a minimum of $200 - and I agree.  I'm hoping for at least $300.  You'll look at this photo art for years and years and show it to friends forever.  I'll try taking a photo and install it right here later, but for now -- you're welcome to chip in with a few bucks right now, or you can wait to see it.

Then there are the "Century of Speed books that David Featherstone and Ron Main put together for Save the Salt.  They debuted at Pomona in the GNRS last January.  I got a couple of them - including at least two for selling here as fund raiser items.  I'll sell them to the highest bidder - and sure think they're worth more, as donations to the site, than the cover price for one of them if you buy it now.  They're $49.95 at the Century of Speed website -- and you're welcome to get one of them from landracing.com for your donation of at least that much - but preferable more.

And, thanks to Dan Warner's help standing in line for me, I've got a hero card (as they're called) about the Speed Demon.  The day after the crash George was back on the salt signing these cards and giving them to whomever was willing to wait his turn.  You won't get the one that says "To Nancy and Slim", but there's a possibility that you'll be the high bidder for the other one -- that's addressed to Landracing.com.  The SD team gave them away for the asking, and George signed them with asking for an honorarium, but I think it's good enough for you to offer a nice handful of dollars for this one of a kind item.

That's all I can think of right now.  I'll get some photos up here in a while - maybe not 'til tomorrow morning -- but in the meantime I'll let you know that the website will pay the shipping cost on any of these items.  It's Thursday evening and I'll award the items to the highest bid placed before Sunday evening, the 14nd.  That'll give me enough time to get them packaged and shipped to you so you can have your Christmas gift in time for Christmas.  I can't promise to get any of these to Australia or South Africa or Sweden tht quickly, but I'll give it a run.  If any of you guys are the high bidder I'll ask you to pay the shipping -- since sending overseas from Skandia, Michigan gets pretty spendy.

To sweeten the pot I'll also include one Salt Talks '14 t-shirt -- the one with Ray the Rat on the back and Stainless' adventure in the A.S.S. 'liner on the front.  If you want one you'll need to tell me the size when you place your bid, of course.

Let the bids flow in starting NOW!  Send them to me posting them on this topic -- so you'll all know how much it's going to take to be the top bidder.  Thank you very much. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Just in time for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »
Hi Folks,

a support for Jon...

here a picture I done quick before I packed it to get it on the plane for Salt Lake City in August....in reality the canvas print looks much much better...I didn't took care for the right light when I shot this picture in my stereo studio....I done this picture only, just in case it went lost on the flight....that I can show what went lost...

It shows Carl Heap and the Phoenix, rolling out in 2001 from the qualifier for the first ever 250+ mph record through the mile by a "truck" at the Bonneville Salt Flats....both runs were 250+....

Carl was so busy to stop the Phoenix safe that he oversaw me, standing by the return road, that the parachute passed me only by one yard...Carl's eyes was very big under his helmet when he saw me in the last moment.... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

So, this picture is catching a very special historical moment...Carl's truck became with this record the fastest diesel vehicle on earth...faster than the Mercedes C111 IV streamliner.....

...by the way...this "light spots" on the top of the rear wheel cover are electrify in the air.......
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 11:54:13 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
Thanks, PP.  I was in the process of putting that image on the forum -- when I saw that you'd beat me to it.  Folks, it's a great photo, a wonderful bit of LSR memorabilia, and something you'll show off to folks forever and ever.  Please consider sending some $$ to landracing.com as your donation -- and getting this in return.

Here's the Speed Demon "hero card":

Again -- it's a neat bit of history and information about the Speed Demon, the team, and some of the speeds the car has run.  I'd be very happy to exchange it for some $$ donated to this website.  Get in touch - post your bid - help the site and help your collection of land speed racing historical stuff.  Thanks.

Oh - and don't forget those"Century of Speed" books that I got for the site.  Please buy one and give it to someone that'll appreciate it (which could well be you, right? :roll:).

I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
Hey, girls and boys -- how come no interest in the deal offered?  I mean -- only PP and I have posted anything.  I see a good bunch of views -- but nobody is willing to consider, if nothing else, the great memories that'll be in your mind every time you see the canvas portrait?  Isn't anybody as excited about the Century of Speed booklet as we all were back in late January?  And so on - - -.  I've got a few other things that I'd like to trade for some $$ to keep the site going, but geez -- nothin' yet.

I will suggest that most of the time the site gets donations from a select few of youse.  I won't name them, but again - geez, why don't some others help pay the way to keep this open?  Please? :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »
  Jon, why not offer up some LR coffee mugs (with man sized handles please), or some LR Tee Shirts (mocha brown for us dribblers please... and yes I use Depends for the other dribble).  How about some more LR bumper stickers?
  If you knew where to have wall plaques made (pun intended) show us a photo of your work.  Some of us who have EMPTY trophy cases might secretly order one or more "Glorified LSR HERO" awards! *
  Show us "whatshugotman". Work for it!!!
                                                                                    Old One Run (sittin here itchin to write you a check) **

*  A few years back I had Slim make up Thank you plaques for my crew and as a result they absolved me of my past transgressions I had set upon them (or was it
sat upon them?)  Anyway They were nicely done and hastely shipped and paid for at least one of Nancy's tattoo's..................... O.R.B.
** I ran out of Preperation H and Ice Cubes.................. :-P

I will start the bidding for Pork Pie's Phoenix Photo (PFTHHATS A LOT OF PEES) at $150. plus another $50. for P.P. (I think that's about $5,000 in Germany)....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:11:08 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:51:04 AM »
Hi Jon, Sent you a PM about one of the books, let me know what you think!

Cheers!  :cheers:

Graham

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
   Come on Guys and Gals, lets step up to the plate.  Jon not only pays for this site but drives two to four times a year from Bumfu*k, Michigan to the Salt Flats to Race, Report on the Races (more reliable than the SCTA site in my opinion), puts on a shindig for all to attend, lets you post and sell stuff on here for nuthin and to top it off, He is OLD.
  I try to send him or hand him the equivalent of a buck a day or $350. if you can't remember how to use your fingers.
  Is this site not worth a lousy buck a day?  You can't even buy a pack of gum for a buck.  Remember He will even accept Visa (who happens to be a sixteen year Sponsor of my Race Car).
  Remember, you can't take it with you and I doubt you can buy your way into Heaven, so what the hell, charge it....................
                                                                                                                     One Run, out..........

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:59:19 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 06:05:09 PM »
Hi Jon, just processed my donation / book purchase!  :cheers:

Thanks again for all your work on keeping this excellent resource available for us all  :-D

I'm very happy to be able to do my little bit to assist from way down here in Aus.....

Hope you get some more donations to keep the site and things like the audio from the events happening, Thank-You!

Best wishes for the holiday season!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
Not too late yet for Christmas
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 09:02:36 AM »
Well -- trying to sell/auction off the photo on canvas that Pork Pie donated to this website to be the treasure you'd get if you were the high bidder - - - went over like a fart in church, so to speak.  He's suggested, and it's certainly worth a try, to post it here instead of in the "Stuff for the website" topic.  So therefore:

Pork Pie has transferred a super-duper photo of Carl Heap in the Phoenix, chute out and slowing after a really fast run.  PP put the photo up on the other topic - I'll let him do so again here.  Nice story behind the photo -- something about PP almost being swept up in the chute as it dragged by him.  But the photo itself -- well, again I'll let him give the details.

When he originally donated it it was meant to be a nice gift/fund raiser at Salt Talks '14.  Rain happened - so I've got a great photo printed on canvas.  it looks even better than just a 16" by 24" (or so) photo -- this looks like it deserves to be on the wall in your house (too good for the shop?).  Pork Pie wanted a minimum of $200 donation for the art - so that's what I'll take as a minimum for it here.  Post your bids and I'll send it to the high bidder - in time for Christmas.  Need a cool gift for one of your crew?  For your racing spouse?  And so it goes -- I'd be happy to have you take it and send some $$ to the site.

I've got a couple of the "Century of Speed" books remaining (after sending one to Australia), and those are available in time for the holidays, too -- at $50 minimum plus postage.  Other stuff?  Go to the topic where I first offered this and you'll see what else there is.

Please, folks -- help keep this site up and running well.  Your donations all count very much.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Not too late yet for Christmas
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 09:52:53 AM »
Hi Folks, a second try.....

to support Jon and the Landracing.com...

here a picture I done quick before I packed it to get it on the plane for Salt Lake City in August....in reality the canvas print looks much much better...I didn't took care for the right light when I shot this picture in my stereo studio....I done this picture only, just in case it went lost on the flight....that I can show what went lost...

It shows Carl Heap and the Phoenix, rolling out in 2001 from the qualifier for the first ever 250+ mph record through the mile by a "truck" at the Bonneville Salt Flats....both runs were 250+....

Carl was so busy to stop the Phoenix safe that he oversaw me, standing by the return road, that the parachute passed me only by one yard...Carl's eyes was very big under his helmet when he saw me in the last moment....  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

So, this picture is catching a very special historical moment...Carl's truck became with this record the fastest diesel vehicle on earth...faster than the Mercedes C111 IV streamliner.....

...by the way...this "light spots" on the top of the rear wheel cover are electrify in the air.......

Ps.: if now, not some other member of the Landracing.com website like to stand up to support the website, the canvas picture will go to One Run Bob (thanks for your bid, Bob)

...and the 50 $ which Bob offers to me will go to Jon and Landracing.com...........................
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 10:01:51 AM »
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,14671.msg266749/topicseen.html#msg266749

Okay, you miserly bunch of Scrooges -

Not only is this one of the most frightening vehicles I've ever seen turn a wheel, it's a beautiful shot taken by one of the most knowledgeable and talented students of LSR in the world.

Am I the only one with the sack to step up?

Well if that's the case, I'm starting the bidding at $200.00.

Bid it up, ya cheapass bunch of woosies!   
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline joe55

• New folks
Re: Not too late yet for Christmas
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »
Slim I will bid 200.00

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 11:39:40 AM »
Hey -- some interest -- finally.  But when I opened the topic here on Bville general chat -- I should have closed down the other (on the "website stuff" topic.  Sure enough -- we got equal bids - one on each.  So I merged the two topics into one, here on Bville chat.

So now, Joe and Chris, you two get to duke it out - - or maybe someone will come along and offer more than your bids.  I can hope, at least. . .  Thanks for the bids, gents. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joe55

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 11:40:37 AM »
Ok I go 225.00

Offline joe55

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 11:48:05 AM »
My first time on the salt with my first roadster Carl came over to help me out without me having ask.