Author Topic: Ford Mustang GT Aluminum space saver rims used at Bonneville ?  (Read 4737 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Ford Mustang GT Aluminum space saver rims used at Bonneville ?
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:00:28 PM »
 On the front of my Lakester I use aluminum Ford Mustang GT space saver wheels  The wheels are 15 inch diameter 4-1/2 inches wide the bolt pattern 4-1/2 inch five hole.  The wheel center is welded 100 percent to the rim the scrub radius using this wheel works perfectly with my front axle. To date I have run these wheels to just over 181 MPH with excellent results at Loring and over 170 in Wilmington.
Will these wheels be allowed at Bonniville and if they have been used by anyone to what speeds?
  Thanks in advance for info.
     Ron
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Ford Mustang GT Aluminum space saver rims used at Bonneville ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:03:55 PM »
Yes your wheels are okay to run at Bonneville. The speed? That's up to you....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 06:27:31 PM »
The wheels on the Merkur are (modified to 5-lug) late-80s Thunderbird Turbocoupe aluminum space saver wheels and went 208 in '98.  They must be built to DOT standards (the speed restriction is for the tires, not the wheel),  so they should be good to go.

There's been a number of discussions on this site before, search "space saver wheel".   :cheers:

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »
Mike is right.  The alum space saver is dot approved.  Tested to the same specifications as any other wheel.
Per a Ford guy, and a competitor wheel manufacturer, these wheels were made by Alcoa, are forged, and fully machined.  I could not obtain the alloy or heat treat characteristics.  As Mike said, they were run on the Merk for its entire first life, with a maximum weight of 4200 lbs.  (almost 50/50
I am using similar wheels with the liner for testing and possibly on the salt  (lighter and longer) and have no concerns.
Rick

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »
Thanks guys for the information. I like the wheels and I know they certainly work well on my car.   Im confused with the rule alloy wheels 1/4 inch retainers. I use one inch hex lug nuts which of course are tapered to hold the wheels down.  Will that be OK at Bonneville ?  :?
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 04:47:22 PM »
2014 SCTA rule book.....

2.G 4th paragraph....

NON-FERROUS WHEELS: "All non-tapered lug nuts that come in direct contact with the wheel shall have a 1/4 inch steel retaining plate..."
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 04:53:20 PM »
1/4" stainless plate & (open-ended) "mag-style" lug nuts:

Rick Byrnes built.   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »
 Thanks again to everyone for the answers to my questions  :-) The guidance and information on this site is truly amazing.  One more step in our future plans to attend speed week have now been checked off the list.  :lol: