Author Topic: In Memoriums  (Read 11604 times)

Offline Bob Drury

In Memoriums
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:03:38 AM »
  Slim, I know we have talked about this in the past but I can't seem to find the post so it may have been a P.M.
  I just happened to see the late Don Penningtons birthday coming up on the site calendar and have two different ideas to offer so someone who might not know of a members death doesn't make a fool out of their self by posting some ill timed message.
  One would be to erase the deceased from the Birthday Roster and add a separate permanent Memorial listing below the existing Birthday Roster.
  The other option would be to put a asterisk in front of the deceased members name on the Birthday Roster with the asterisk explanation  at the bottom.
  Personally I would vote for option one and have a separate listing to honor all the LSR racers in the sky.
                                                                                                                        Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: In Memoriums
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 10:52:51 AM »
ORB:  Here's a graphic example of the hassle that'd arise if we do what you want.  Let's say that someone posts that Bob Drury has kicked the bucket.  I know who he is, but does Bob Clancy (for instance)?  Your registration doesn't have your "real" name and not everyone under the sun - or even all of the racers out there in internet-land - know there's a connection between Drury and ORB.  Glen Barrett -- yes, we know wo he is -- he uses his plain English name, but what about Stan Back? And so on.  I'd like to think that everyone on the planet knows just who SSS really is -- but I expect that, for instance, Andy Green has found other things to occupy his mind.

So says Bob C -- who, as "Web Elf" -- might go un-memorialsed until his wife or son lets us know that he's taken that last long ride.  In fact -- here's perzackly what he said:

"I see there's a new topic about this.  Seems to me the big hangup is knowing who's who.  I can put a deceased tag up there somewhere, but the person's real name isn't captured when they sign up.  There may be discussion of the passing using their real name, but we need to know what screen name they went by.  People know, but I don't....

Bob"

Make sure that we know your name, or tell us specifically in your obit, who you really are and what moniker you use on the Forum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »
You mean Stan Back isn't his real name!  :-o
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »
Rite!

My first name's really Stanley.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »
Rite!

Until proven guilty.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »
Well, you know what I mean.  After all, there's always the guy that signs himself as "Elmo Rodge" - but answers to "Wayne" - and his real name is lost to the ages.  See? :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Rite!

Did you know Livingstone or Oliver?   :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

gkabbt

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »
Well, you know what I mean.  After all, there's always the guy that signs himself as "Elmo Rodge" - but answers to "Wayne" - and his real name is lost to the ages.  See? :-D

And then there's gkabbt who signs each post as Gregg and then name becomes Gerry, Guido, Guillaume, George or any other name that starts with the letter G.....Confusing! :-D  :-D  :-D

Gregg

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:52:57 PM »
GKKAbbt:  Try these to see what's left to use.

www.thinkbabynames.com/list/1/G

www.behindthename.com/names/letter/g

Over to you. . . :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 02:55:38 PM »
Actually, this brings up a topic which can be frustrating if you're trying to find an obit here on the forum.

Many times the thread title will not contain the person's name, nor his or her "handle".

And if a dozen or so threads have the same title, it makes it difficult to find the information.

I'm not saying we need to use the New York Times style guide, but a person's name in the title of their obituary or death announcement is not an unreasonable expectation.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 03:42:38 PM »
Personally I don't see a solution to this... short of everyone writing their own obit (be sure to include your real name and screen name) and posting it prior to taking that last run.   :roll: 
I guess it would be a good idea to be careful what you post.  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 04:07:23 PM »
If it's my obituary, I don't give a Dodge what name you use or what you say.   RF

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »
I guess it would be a good idea to be careful what you post.  :cheers:

That's what the Web Elf says.  I don't want to take any chances on marking somebody as dead..... a few are obvious, many I can guess at, and some... not a clue.
Web Elf

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »
  Stan has smelled dead for some time.................. :roll:              One Run (not my real name), out................
Bob Drury