Author Topic: Types Of Fuels  (Read 7911 times)

Offline gasblender37

Types Of Fuels
« on: December 07, 2014, 03:36:01 PM »
In the Blown Fuel Roadster (BFR) class what are the types of fuels, if more than one, that racers generally use?
Thanks,
Skip
Skip

"Sometimes you get what you want and it is not what you expect."
"I reckon if this stuff was easy, everyone would be settin' records"

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Types Of Fuels
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
In the SCTA it is most likely Nitro. Followed by Alky, & Nitrous Oxide (even though the latter is not a fuel per se). You can also use unapproved gasoline. Does that answer your question or were you looking for something like Propoline Oxide? Which would also be legal in the Fuel Class.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JimL

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »
...Or.....this could be exciting. :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder_engine

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
Gun powder I can see it now sealed powder kegs  :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 05:35:32 PM »
     I can also see SCTA making you pit about a half mile from everybody else.  :evil:
     Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
There's precedent, Doug and others.  Remember the hydrogen-fueled electric car?  The fuel truck and pit were stations WAY the heck over there -- at the very far corner of the pits, and maybe even outside the pit line.  Maybe Rick B. will give us more of the story/correct distances.  But anyway -- yeah, I'd think that a gunpowder fueling might be very exciting. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gasblender37

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 08:07:33 PM »
In the SCTA it is most likely Nitro. Followed by Alky, & Nitrous Oxide (even though the latter is not a fuel per se). You can also use unapproved gasoline. Does that answer your question or were you looking for something like Propoline Oxide? Which would also be legal in the Fuel Class.
Dynoroom,
Thanks for the response. My partner and I are interested in building a roadster class car sometime in the future. I am looking thru the 2012 SCTA rulebook and looking at the various class records. One stands out.  D/BFR set in 1981 at 241.848. I believe it was a 300 ci blown hemi. Would you have any idea what fuel was used?
Thanks,
Skip
Skip

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »
It's going to be alcohol and maybe nitro mixed. Unless they were burning gas and went for a record that they felt was "easy".

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 08:37:21 PM »
That was Bill Temple's roadster "Got Cha" with his son Greg at the wheel.

That was indeed a blown fuel roadster running Nitro, with a dash of alky to make it to the 5......
& if I remember correctly they even did the nitro with nitrous dance a time or two.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline gasblender37

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »
Would I assume correctly that gasoline with nitrous oxide would be considered a fuel?
Skip

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »
Yes

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 09:57:13 PM »
Something to think about is if the dyno work can be safely done.  Also the health of fellow racers and everyone nearby.   A lot of the exotics were looked into during my build and were not used for that reason.  Leaded gas is being used and plans are to phase it within a few years and to go to ethyl alcohol or unleaded gasahol.  Neither fuel make maximum power but both are less toxic for all concerned. 

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 07:08:11 AM »
Back when we were ignorant of the side effects we used propylene oxide with methanol ... now it is just about banned everywhere as race fuel

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
In the past I could care less about fuel and health.  In fact, I like the smell of nitro and leaded.  One of the things I do is to tune the bike for the fuel available before I go to the race.  Checking into leaded fuels in AUS and SA was interesting.  It can be gotten.  It is discouraged and most forms of racing there ban it.  More than one person said I should wake up to the modern world and tune the bike to run on something healthier.  Dang hippies.  In the end, I thought about it, and they are right.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »
A similar 300" hemi Fuel Roadster, Team Fercockta, has held the "soft" El Mirage record of 223 since 1975.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records