Author Topic: '58 RE Indian MPS-750-PF Build  (Read 54948 times)

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
Re: '58 RE Indian MPS-750-PF Build
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2015, 09:43:38 AM »
Thanks for the pic Nortonist.  I actually have been sitting on the bike a lot, and without the seat I've been able to lay completely flat with my elbows comfortably tucked in.  Once I have the custom seat pan, I'll have my co-worker snap a couple of pics with me on the bike and tucked in.

Not much got done this week on the bike.  I did however get my new cable ends installed and the controls finished up.  The new levers are smooth as butter, especially when compared to the 50+ year old levers that I took off of the bike that have been bent who knows how many times.  Aside from the fork brace, I think I am finished with the front end for the time being, unless I decide to install a twin leading front brake.  Obviously of no use on The Salt, but I do plan on running some road tracks and drag strip as well, where it would help out.  I'll probably end up lowering my clip ons too, but I want to get a few rides in before I make any changes to them.

Some pics of the finished controls:

Also finished the Y joint on the exhaust and got it wrapped in black header wrap.  I'm thinking of painting the muffler with ceramic white paint just to add a little contrast to the bike.

Offline bak189

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2015, 11:05:40 AM »
You do know that the bike would run faster having 2 ex. pipes......................Oh, well.....................Sorry

Question authority.....always

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2015, 11:27:30 AM »
You do know that the bike would run faster having 2 ex. pipes......................Oh, well.....................Sorry

Not according to my engine guy.  But thanks for the condescending remarks, it keeps my thread interesting.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »
The problem with a 2-1 (although Blair did quite well with them, also Dunstall) is what controls the primary length?
There are theories all over the place, but the bottom line is "try this, and modify as needed". Very difficult to do with 2-1, easier to make several variants and bring with.
I'm not sure if absolutely equal length primaries is necessary, especially for a peak power application, but the calculations for staggered length are really, really complicated (read Blair's work on the Ducati).
I hate to say this (because I can't weld) but that dog-leg in 1 primary is going to bite you. Not only does it reduce flow (and may introduce a "shadow" in the pressure pattern) but it will raise the temperature in that exhaust valve and seat.
Absent other design or mechanical limitations, the best primary leaves the port aligned to the flow axis (which may not be the port centerline), goes straight for as long as practical, then changes direction with a big radius.

Single pipes do not always produce the best power, but:
cheap to make
easy to modify in situ (hacksaw + extensions & clamps)
even the worst length choice is better than a badly design common system
allow megs as an afterthought (with extra support hardware)

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2015, 03:19:11 PM »

I hate to say this (because I can't weld) but that dog-leg in 1 primary is going to bite you. Not only does it reduce flow (and may introduce a "shadow" in the pressure pattern) but it will raise the temperature in that exhaust valve and seat.

:dhorse:

I agree with Panic
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2015, 06:19:45 PM »
Bedlam Werks is making progress on my custom seat pan this week.   :-)

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2015, 06:56:17 PM »
The seat pan was finished and shipped out today.  Can't wait to see it on the bike!

Offline bak189

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2015, 08:22:57 PM »
Very...............Very nice.................
Question authority.....always

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2015, 08:34:24 PM »
Indeed.  Very nice.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2015, 10:04:28 PM »
Thanks guys.  I agree, it looks superb.  I was very fortunate to acquire this thru a sponsorship, not to mention all the people I have dealt with there at Bedlam Werks are very organized, on point and extremely friendly.  Their logos will be going on the left side of the tank, and mine will be going on the right side of the tank, and both on the fairing too when I finally decide what I want to do there.

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2015, 03:10:41 PM »
Rebuilt the heads yesterday and got the bike running again.  148psi on the left cylinder and 151psi on the right side.

The Blackhawk Start Up - Higher Compression: http://youtu.be/v0QXgQjKddw

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2015, 10:45:15 PM »
I GOT A LOT DONE TODAY!!!    :D

A member of the Royal Enfield forum sent me a brand new Dunstall that he had bought for his Bullet before he sold it but never installed it.  So a huge thank you to him for helping me complete the classic race exhaust!   ;)   I welded it directly the head pipe, since I always remove the exhaust with the muffler attached anyway, and gave it a nice little kick out.  It comes back and exits even with the rear tire and is 66" in total length.  He had already packed the core with fiberglass, and while extremely quiet, it chocked the motor out so bad the bike didn't want to run or even rev.  So after consulting with my Enfield performance guy on the phone I decided to remove all the fiberglass and cut the core down to a mere 3" in length, compared to 24".  The throttle response is crisp and has a real nice bark out the exhaust.  I am really liking the new exhaust as a whole, and between that, the heads, and the dry clutch set up (attempt) I am super excited to get out for a test ride.    ;D

Here's a video of the exhaust.  :)
http://youtu.be/3i2h4BlEYW0

And after work today I got the new Bedlam Werks seat pan installed on the bike....  Fucking Sexy!    8)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2015, 10:31:24 AM »
Back in the 60s and 70s I rode and raced triumphs and BMWs. Dave Rash at D&D headers was a good friend of mine. We discussed exhaust many times. Dave told me that he had made the same or more HP with a 2-1 over indivudual pipes. :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »
Back in the 60s and 70s I rode and raced triumphs and BMWs. Dave Rash at D&D headers was a good friend of mine. We discussed exhaust many times. Dave told me that he had made the same or more HP with a 2-1 over indivudual pipes. :cheers:

That's awesome!  D&D mufflers are pretty popular for the Enfield Bullets.  I did quite a bit of exhaust research on exhaust systems before I dove into this and built it to be most beneficial with what I had, and the only money I spent on it was for the header wrap.  I'll be honest, I'm going to race on the Salt, but I'm not really building a salt racer.  I'm trying to build something that will be fun on the streets and respectable on any type of track.  I just want a bike that is not only awesome but good at any conditions I throw at it.  I'll still be riding dirt roads and trails, because I enjoy it, and why ride a bike if you're not going to enjoy the scenery?!    :-)

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »
I made a couple of changes to the exhaust this week.  While the 1 3/8" primaries into a 1 3/8" collector produced a mass of low end torque, she just couldn't breath up top.  So I cut the pipe right at the 2" wide mark and installed a 2" exhaust pipe from a Subaru Outback that had the exact same bend at the bottom area.  I slightly smashed the pipe to oval it and match the collector and then tack welded it in place.  Then I trimmed the "silencer" to a 2" opening, bolted it to the frame and then moved it until it cleared the shifter and tacked it into place.  A quick look over and then proceeded to final welding and re-wrapped the new section with the header wrap.  The results moved the power range to about 4000 rpms+.  Now she is a pooch down low, but when she hits 4000 rpms she comes on like a 2 stroke power band.

The first video is just the bike idling and the second video is a fly by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uJiGM8NKg&list=UUOuxT3uDOINbn5OmZ0BwRVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSfpy0anocQ&list=UUOuxT3uDOINbn5OmZ0BwRVA&index=1