Author Topic: '58 RE Indian MPS-750-PF Build  (Read 54945 times)

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
'58 RE Indian MPS-750-PF Build
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »
Hi Everyone Again!  It's been awhile.   :-)

Well, my original build plans fell the thru floor.  The custom heads I had built were going to cost me $4K, and with that ticket, my "financial partner" bailed out of the project.  I tried really hard to land some side jobs to pay for them, but everything just went to crap.  I ended up emailing the head builder to tell him that I couldn't afford the heads and asked if there was another interested customer that would take over.  Less than an hour later a gentleman in the UK agreed to purchase the heads, and is now currently putting his motor together with them.

With that said, I refuse to give up on this project and completely re-evaluated the build.  I decided that if I am to do this, I want to do it on my own without any "friend's" help.  Now, I am in the process of converting my original bike, my '58 Trailblazer that is already built, into a full out period correct cafe racer.  The body work is coming out very nicely, and I have acquired a "sponsor" that is going to be supplying me with a full custom one-off aluminum seat pan.  Super excited for that!  I'm also going to speak with a local parts store this week about possibly getting sponsored from them too. As I am in need of performance tires, race fuel, leathers, stuff like that.  But for the most part, all the body work is taken care off.  My seat pan should be finished around the new year, clip on bars are getting ordered tomorrow, rear sets got installed over the summer.  Really, the only other things I need to do is redo my wiring harness and fab an electrical box that will be hidden under the new seat, and build the new motor.

My original plans for the motor had a budget of about $7500 to make about 100hp.  Now, I have a build plan that should net me about 60bhp and only cost $2000.  I researched parts of other Brit bikes to try and find performance parts that are already available to try and cut some costs, it was going to cost $1300 for custom rods and pistons.  After investigating and crunching numbers, I discovered that I can use BSA steel rods, just need to machine the big end ever so slightly to match the crank journals and bearings, and Triumph forged pistons.  Cost for this is only $700.  Also, I will be sending my camshafts out to have them custom ground for .357 of lift, which should be good for about 150cfm per head, and should be able to run up to about 7000 RPMs.  With the 9:1 71mm Triumph pistons, I should be able to get the cylinder pressures up to 180-200 psi per cylinder.  It won't be the insane beast I originally wanted, but it should still make some very respectable numbers.

My bike AFTER the resto BEFORE the cafe conversion

How the tank looks now: Black base coat + 3 coats of clear, White base on the handlebar dents with gold pearl coat + 3 coats of clear,
Champagne gold marbleized stripes, decals + 5 coats of clear

And just for fun, a pic of me taking 2nd place at my FIRST EVER flat track race in the Hooligans Class this summer.   :-)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:30:26 AM by Scottie J »

Offline Peter Jack

Re: '58 RE Indian MPS-750-PF Build
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »
It looks like a fun project and sometimes a person's better just going it alone. It's usually a lot easier to sort things out when there are points of contention.  :-D :-D :-D

I'll look forward to your progress.

Pete

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »
Really good looking bike just as it sets in the picture

Offline bak189

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »
Remember me................I can now go out and spend the $200.00 ???????

No 200mph....Enfield....and I had put the monies aside for you......Oh, well.....................................

$4000.00 for a couple heads.........................racing cost dollars..............we just got a couple of BMW
(motorcycle) heads done for $3800.00................one off only............picked up 10 HP...........you pay for the best...............if you can't handle the costs, become a spectator........................Love
Question authority.....always

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 05:58:19 PM »
Come on now.  The paint looks first class.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »
Remember me................I can now go out and spend the $200.00 ???????

No 200mph....Enfield....and I had put the monies aside for you......Oh, well.....................................

$4000.00 for a couple heads.........................racing cost dollars..............we just got a couple of BMW
(motorcycle) heads done for $3800.00................one off only............picked up 10 HP...........you pay for the best...............if you can't handle the costs, become a spectator........................Love

Whoa, whoa, whoa.....  Whoa.  I said I wanted to break 200mph.  You said I couldn't, I said I could.  Then for what ever reason you said that if I broke ANY RECORD AT ALL before you die, ON AN ENFIELD then you would give me $200.  THAT was the deal, so let's not get it twisted.  And I still believe that if money wasn't an issue I could get very close the 200 mph club, but that's not going to happen because I don't have the money.  BUT, I still believe that I can break a record.

Since you were bullied by a high school kid who rode an Enfield, and now you have a life long grudge against Enfields, let's be realistic.  That is if you're still up to it.  As of 2013 the M-PF-750 record was 138.491 set by a Guzzi.  2015 I'm only going to enter Run Whatcha Brung so I can get a feel for the salt.  For 2016 I should have my new motor built and ready to make an attempt.  I think I can break at LEAST 130mph and have a running chance at that record.  What ever the record is at the time for M-PF-750 in 2016, if I can break it, you pay up.  If you're still kicking.  What do ya say?

And even if I don't break it, I'll still have one of the sexiest bikes there.  So....     8-)

All kidding aside, why do you hate RE's so much?

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:34:36 AM »
Rule #1, don't argue with potential sponsors
Rule#2, break a record 1st then go and collect subs from potential sponsors

; - ) Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline bak189

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »
OK........OK........I will  save the dollars just for you.........In fact I will pay you if you break 135mph.....
I don't hate Enfields, in fact I raced one back in the "dark ages" on dirt track....and have one of the new fuel injected models made in India.....not a bad bike for the money...............That brings up a point.... look into the present Indian Enfield injection system ....it may work on your twin.......one more point...if you are using Tri. rods and pistons, why not use a Tri. engine....you will get closer to 138mph than you will with your Enfield...PS. The dollars are in one of my tool box drawers waiting for you.......but please hurry it up...... today I turned 78 years old.....and who knows how much longer I have........and Linda WIIL NOT PAY YOU

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 11:17:55 AM »
Well Shit.... Happy Birthday Bob  :cheers:
like the rest of us, I'm sure you would have taken better care of yourself if you thought you'd live this long...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 01:10:10 PM »
Happy Birthday!  I just want to make sure you knew I was being super sarcastic with that last post.  ;-)   I want to build an Enfield for the simple fact that it is an underdog.  Besides using parts designated for something else makes it that much funner.  :-)

Offline bak189

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 06:22:38 PM »
Hey..............I took a quick look at the injector set up on my India build Enfield and it looks like with very little effort and dollars it could be adapted to a twin.........................................................................

PS. For all you Harley lovers, that are always saying "Harley only... all American build" take a look at the Harley "Street" models build by Harley in India......what is the world coming to.....................................

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
Started building my battery/electrical box today out of 1/8" plate.  It's a little heavy, but it certainly isn't going to break either.  The battery is going to be mounted to the left side of the box and a fuse panel will be mounted in the right side of the box, with an ignition key switch coming out of the lower right front corner.  This is all I could get done today without having my battery and the fuse panel there, but it's a good start.

The box will be bolted to the frame thru the 2 holes in the gussets of the frame there.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 07:57:40 AM »
Don't want to hijack your thread, but I have a question for BAK.  How good do you think those RE injectors are?  There is a Youtube video made by Southbay Triumph who hotrodded a new RE Bullet, complete with a full fairing, ported head, hot cam, etc., and were quite proud of themselves for setting a 500 MPS-PF (fuel) record at the 2014 Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials of 98 mph. (Couldn't get the MPS-PG(gas) record cause Lucille Dunn holds that at 117 or so on a Buell Blast with the stock headlight fairing for streamlining).

And Scottie, at what track did you run in the Hooligan's race?  I attended one last year in Erie and was very tempted to enter my B50SS, but was worried that the headlight might fall off (so something else).

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline bak189

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »
Don't really know how good the RE injectors are........have not looked into their workings.....but they certainly are a improvement over leaking Amal carburators......the bike starts easy,,,idle is good......
power is fair......98mph. on a hot RE certainly is not very fast.....but then the purchase price is also low....
Back in the "Dark Ages" when I sidecar road raced a RE. 750c.c. twin.....it had good low end power (it was a build engine) but the Tri. And BSA's were faster and they were 650c.c.....I don't think the RE. heads are very good...............still a nice good looking motor........

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »
The RE injectors are fair, no known problems to date that I know of.  And yes, the twin heads are a poor design and only flow 130cfm in stock form.  I'm going to grind my cams to about .360 lift so I may get a little more than that.  The bike that Southbay Triumph built was actually a new Continental GT.

Koncrete - The track I raced at was IMI in Erie.  It was a blast!  I would have had a chance at first place, but I still had the stock foot pegs on and they were scraping in the turns.  I pushed it as hard as I could tho!