Author Topic: Oldsmobile Aerotech?  (Read 10918 times)

Offline Paolo Castellano

Oldsmobile Aerotech?
« on: December 06, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »
As many of the people on here already know, the long tail version of this car went almost 290 MPH with similar power to the short tailed version that only went 260's.

I understand this was a super high dollar R&D effort  by Oldsmobile, but does anybody here think the recombination of the air going over and under the car like this would be less drag than just having a flattish Pro Mod rear wing and the diffuser venturi on the back of the car?

Nobody thought much of the front wheel drive stuff before Copeland did it......Has anybody tried to make a car for Bonneville with anything like this tear dropped tail section?

I thought the maximum degree of taper which allows the air to stay relatively attached is 7 degrees. The back end of the Aerotech has more taper than this doesn't it?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:50:07 PM by Paolo Castellano »

Offline tortoise

Re: Oldsmobile Aerotech?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 06:18:50 PM »
The tails of the streamliners built for the salt in the 50s looked a lot like that. Special construction cars are the only ones which the rules allow such a tail.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »
looks like a dot of drag.
maybe trying to generate downforce under that flat tail?
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline John Burk

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 07:03:29 PM »
The long tail must have let it corner faster on the high banked oval it ran on . The extra surface area increased the drag .

Offline Paolo Castellano

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 12:01:43 AM »
The long tail must have let it corner faster on the high banked oval it ran on . The extra surface area increased the drag .

I thought the whole reason the long tail version went faster was because the shape had less drag because the air above and below the car could recombine more efficiently resulting in less drag.......

As the tail gets longer and the angle becomes shallower the air can stay attached resulting in a less turbulent wake which creates less vacuum sucking backwards on the car going through the air?

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 12:13:16 AM »
those pics show a streamlined shape where the air can flow around it.
doesn't work when the volume of air allowed to go under the car isn't great enough to fill the void.
if they were really trying for slipperiness they would have applied the same shape as viewed from the top also.
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Paolo Castellano

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:51:17 AM »
those pics show a streamlined shape where the air can flow around it.
doesn't work when the volume of air allowed to go under the car isn't great enough to fill the void.
if they were really trying for slipperiness they would have applied the same shape as viewed from the top also.

That's a great point about comparatively less air going under the car.

The way the Aerotech tail is, would/(should?) still allow the over the top airflow to recombine with whatever airflow coming from the underside?

Then the question is how is the mass airflow with it's (relative to the underside flow)speed over the top combining with the lesser volume airflow from the underside and it's speed to create lift or downforce?

Sorry if I am not using the correct terminology, I am just curious.

I have also questioned why the Aerotech rear body section was not tapered more to a much narrower rear end as well.

Thanks!

Offline BHR301

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »
sofadriver, Paolo....you do both know that the Aerotech cars were built on an existing Indy car chassis don't you, the shape of the chassis would limit how much taper could be built into the rear of the body unless you wanted to built a 30 ft. long car. 

Bill

Offline Paolo Castellano

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »
sofadriver, Paolo....you do both know that the Aerotech cars were built on an existing Indy car chassis don't you, the shape of the chassis would limit how much taper could be built into the rear of the body unless you wanted to built a 30 ft. long car. 

Bill

Bill, I was aware it was based on a March Indy Car chassis.

My question here was to compare the top speed of the short and long tail cars with similar HP and discuss the effect of the longer tail and to try to relate that to the possibility of some Bonneville car utilizing this concept to decrease drag....

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 02:31:48 PM »
Porsche had a number of versions of its 917. The "long-tail" version was the fastest but not the quickest; it was treacherous at high speed. JWAE found that it was creating lift on the rear end and modified it accordingly. This became the "K" version. It handled much better and lost only a bit of top speed.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Graham

• Fluids Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Projects - FLIP
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »

Bill, I was aware it was based on a March Indy Car chassis.

My question here was to compare the top speed of the short and long tail cars with similar HP and discuss the effect of the longer tail and to try to relate that to the possibility of some Bonneville car utilizing this concept to decrease drag....

UNSW Australia's solar-electric car Sunswift eVe added a "tail" like this for their successful FIA record attempt for fastest electric vehicle over 500km. The car was not designed to set records, but rather as a semi-practical road car primarily built for the 2013 World Solar Challenge rally across Australia. My student Simon Ambrose did the CFD work to design the tail, the original car had a "chopped" back to fit lights and a registration plate and the air had a bit of a downwash component to it leaving the body. Simon's design added about 0.4m to the car but largely eliminated the downwash and reduced the overall drag of the vehicle by about 5%. I've attached a couple of pictures. You can see that in some ways it was a pretty crude addition but it definitely did the job.

We ran a dual-level tunnel under the whole car, otherwise yes indeed we'd have had a whopping amount of downforce - great for a racing car, terrible for a solar car.

Graham Doig
Fluids Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Projects - www.thinkflip.net
Aerospace Engineering Department
California Polytechnic State University

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 08:54:37 AM »
Graham,
Undoubtedly the car of the future.  I'm surprised that one of the current manufacturers isn't offering us one like that today, albeit with hybrid or I/C motor.  100 mpg?
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!