Author Topic: Motorcycle Class  (Read 9688 times)

Offline mexican jon

• New folks
Motorcycle Class
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »
Hi Guys

Can someone clarify a motorcycle class for me? Basically if i was to have a standard Hyabusa rolling frame fitted with a Yamaha 600cc engine what class would the bike come under? I've been lead to believe that it would come under "A" (Special Construction) is this true? My main reason for asking is that it would seem a little unfair to people like myself that have gone to the trouble and expense to build a 1 off special constrution bike!

Regards Mex
People Say You Only Live Once - I Say Thank F@#k Can't Afford To Do It Twice

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Motorcycle Class
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »
Sounds like you answered your question! :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline mexican jon

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 07:15:28 PM »
Sounds like you answered your question! :cheers:

I was kind of hoping someone was going to prove me wrong  :oops:

Offline BHR301

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 07:40:27 PM »
Question...why do you feel it's unfair?   :?

Bill

Offline mexican jon

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 07:45:37 PM »
Question...why do you feel it's unfair?   :?

Bill

Because it takes a lot more work to scratch build a special 1 off bike compared to what is basically just bolting a different engine into what is in reality a production bike  :-( I would have expected it to be classed as a modified production as in my eyes that is what it is  :?

i.e. If you use the original frame and engine of a bike but modify the rest of it it comes under modified production, but a relatively simple engine swap puts it in special construction
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:48:02 PM by mexican jon »

Offline BHR301

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 08:05:13 PM »
Mexican Jon...all I can tell you is, if you want to play in the SCTA's sandbox you play by their rules.

Bill

Offline mexican jon

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 08:08:10 PM »
Mexican Jon...all I can tell you is, if you want to play in the SCTA's sandbox you play by their rules.

Bill

I realise that and don't have a problem with the rules  :? the question was really to get clarity of why the rule is the way it is  :-D

Regards Mex

Offline Grandpa Jones

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 08:20:28 PM »
SCTA rule 7.f  "engine shall be from the same manufacturer as the frame". The records in APS and MPS
fuel or gas are pretty comparable, the lowest being MPS-G at 183-ish. The aero rules are more liberal
in "A", so really no disadvantage to run there. All this assuming you are running with bodywork.  :cheers:

Cheers, Dave

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
The rule of same manufacturer of the frame and engine came about from guys running "Harley" engines such as S&S and other makers in modified class.  Real Harley engines were put at a severe disadvantage.  It is what it is but at El Mirage its no big deal.  A and M run together. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 10:20:02 PM »
MJ, which part of your bike is modified production.... That class is basically for bikes with better pipes, turbos, etc., changes from a production bike.  So do you have a Yamaha with a different frame or a Suzuki with a non Suzuki motor...
Either way, you will end up in special construction because you changed manufacturers between engine and frame.  Get a rule book, you might want to put SC body work on to race.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mexican jon

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 10:44:32 PM »
MJ, which part of your bike is modified production.... That class is basically for bikes with better pipes, turbos, etc., changes from a production bike.  So do you have a Yamaha with a different frame or a Suzuki with a non Suzuki motor...
Either way, you will end up in special construction because you changed manufacturers between engine and frame.  Get a rule book, you might want to put SC body work on to race.

Hi

I've got the rule books and was at Bonneville this year (Got very drunk as there was little else to do due to the weather) My bike is a 1 off build running in ABG-650, It just seemed strange that someone could buy a production bike swap the engine to a different make and run in the same class  :?

As for modified production you can change forks, wheels, swing arm etc ?? as long as the engine and main part of the frame are the original? which goes back to my original thinking that I found it strange that an engine swap to a different make doesn't put the bike in modified production but puts it into special construction :?

Regards Mex

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 01:22:26 AM »
I explained why the rule is in effect.   It was a simple way to get rid of replica (more or less) Harley engines running in M.    After market crankcases are much more robust than Harley cases.  Gave riders who used them a big advantage,  The SCTA leveled the playing field.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 01:57:15 AM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »
There was a lot more to do than drink in Wendover this year.  With no vehicles out on the salt, the parking lot tour was extensive.  I was saddened when I pulled into town with the lots full of race vehicles as I then knew why they were there.  But there was plenty to look at and lots more racers to talk with than you'd find at any other LSR venue -- even while they were running.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline mexican jon

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 06:25:10 PM »
There was a lot more to do than drink in Wendover this year.

I think you may have taken my comment to seriously  :? We were able to drink more than normal as there was no racing :-( Had the racing been on then drinking wouldn't of happened until the end of the week once we had finished racing.

Regards Mex

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
Hell man, with over 1850  motor cycle classes you should find some class to run in.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah