Author Topic: Keith Copeland Triumph  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Paolo Castellano

Keith Copeland Triumph
« on: December 05, 2014, 11:02:22 AM »
Are there any threads or technical discussions directed towards the design of this car and why it went so fast?

How about more pics?

Can some of the more experienced guys on here point out interesting techincal aspects that would escape the eye of the lesser experienced?

Any better pics of the front wheel well area?

I am also curious about the underside. I could only find a couple of pics on the Black Salt Racing website.

There is a pic with a single narrower diffuser tunnel coming out of the middle of the rear of the car

And another with an additional channel to the outside of the one in first picture:

I watched the video of the one way 387 MPH run and the acceleration numbers were more impressive than I what would have imagined for being on the salt. The GPS speedo showed 200-250 MPH in 9 seconds, 250-300 MPH in 7 seconds, 300-350 MPH in 11 seconds??? Wow!

Mike LeFevers and Joe Timney told me about this car a couple of years ago and I came across that 380+ MPH video...

Has this car gone any faster since then?

What's the scoop?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:05:24 AM by Paolo Castellano »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Keith Copeland Triumph
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:21:29 AM »
FWD Massive amounts of  HP and Down Force and owner-driver with HUGE pants for wallet and cohones  :-  unbelievable accomplishment  :cheers:  :cheers:   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline krusty

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »
Let's not forget a brilliant choice of body model (hard to beat that rear deck once you've done the legal top chop) and front wheel drive.

vic

Offline John Burk

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »
The first people to see the potential in nose down force and front wheel drive .

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »
These are some pics I took at the Test and Tune last summer. Sorry I didn't get the huge front "floor" that the car has which must exert huge down force on the front drive wheels. They were working on getting the new Wiseman 8 speed transaxle dialed in. I talked to Copeland a bit and he said that the 387 was even a surprise to him but after going that fast he has to try for the 400+ mark. Glad to see he wants to do it but it is going to take a good track and a perfect run (and a big pile of money!) to do it.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

gkabbt

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
Here is my link of some of the pics I took at the WoS this year and there are several of the Black Salt car.

https://plus.google.com/photos/115248360774022016668/albums/6055785040238361041

As for his run at the WoS, I posted in the World of Speed 2014 Picture Post:

Ron announced on the radio that they lost an engine at the 3, caught air in a spin but stayed upright and lost some of the body panels.
IIRC, track was down for approximately 30 min for cleanup.
I did not go over and get any pics of the car when they got it back to their trailer.

Gregg