Author Topic: Air vents...  (Read 8286 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: Air vents...
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 07:12:19 PM »
Nathan, I think you are correct in those observations. I can only speak for myself, but that being said, maybe my own feelings will shed some light on the subject.

1. I have been wanting to race at Bonneville for a very long time.

2. Just like many others, this is not a small undertaking. Both in time and money.

3. Bonneville is a long way from home.

Everything listed here is universal for a majority of racers. My biggest fear is devoting all of this time, and money, only to be told I can't run due to a short coming of my own fault. It wouldn't be such a paralyzing fear if it was a weekly event at the local circle track. We all know that Speedweek is so much more than that, and that is what makes it so special.

I've found it to be easier to cross your t's and be correct than cross your fingers and hope you get lucky.

The one thing the SCTA has is access to the proper tech people to answer any questions one may have. And I am a firm believer in the statement, "The only dumb question is the one that goes un-asked."

Stan, Your reply makes sense as well. Figuring out how to meet all the requirements without being told how to do it is half the fun, and I think that's one of the cool things about racing at Bonneville. Of course a fella has to make sure his ideas don't violate any rules.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 09:37:28 AM »
Dyno, I'm running comp coupe.

Stainless, I never thought of it that way... Good point. And in the mean time, I'll wait to hear back from the proper tech chairman.

Running comp coup you are allowed to run a full belly pan but also don't have to.  I'd think that pretty much opens the door to having as much of it there as you want or as much not there as you want.  If you are using the belly pan to move into comp coup then it has to cover 51% or more of the undercarriage but that leaves a lot of it that doesn't have to be there.  Note this is my reading of the rules only, so if in doubt do what you are doing and contact the appropriate person,

Sumner
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:31:46 PM by Sumner »

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 12:00:21 PM »
Build it to the best of your ability and understanding of the rules. Ask a lot of questions-take pictures. You kept up with Scaaty. I made the haul last Aug. You know what happened. The plus for me was I got the car teched. It pasted with good remarks. Had a couple of minor items to address. Things that could have been fixed on the salt. Everybody I have meet in the last 4 years have been great. The tech guys are there to help not keep you from running.  Keep on building and come on out for a hot-dry 2015 Speed Week. See ya on the salt.   It's all fun   Don
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT