Author Topic: North American Eagle  (Read 194281 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: North American Eagle
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2018, 07:51:36 PM »
I'm glad I missed it.

I hope it's over – did the fat lady sing?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2018, 12:52:06 AM »
Louise wrote most of the "history" part of the show. They only used us as they saw fit to make a story. A lot of important things were left out and some
really good stuff like Teague vs White, Potteet, Blue Flame and others. If you've ever been a subject of one of these type shows, you would understand
what I'm talking about. Oh, by the way, we didn't one dime for our participation!
Ed

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #212 on: July 19, 2018, 11:00:32 AM »
I am certain the F-104 gang is thrilled about the publicity their project is receiving from the History Channel documentary. The documentary production was not in their hands. That 5 minutes of testing the hardness of the mud flats was a rather slow segment and looked like a time filler. That would have been a decent amount of time to cover the last American absolute world land speed record, the fastest on the Bonneville Salt Flats, and lasted 13 years before Richard Noble's turbojet broke the mile record. It was 27 years before Andy Green broke the kilometer record. Oh, that was The Blue Flame - not the anonymous "a rocket-powered vehicle" in the Speed Demons. Just saying.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #213 on: July 19, 2018, 06:16:49 PM »
That wasn't in the lyrics when the fat lady sung?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #214 on: July 20, 2018, 09:47:12 AM »
Louise wrote most of the "history" part of the show. They only used us as they saw fit to make a story. A lot of important things were left out and some
really good stuff like Teague vs White, Potteet, Blue Flame and others. If you've ever been a subject of one of these type shows, you would understand
what I'm talking about. Oh, by the way, we didn't one dime for our participation!

Still need to pull up the show, but here's what I know about television.

As is often the case in modern television "documentaries", the crew starts out with a pile of footage, a script, a deadline, virtually no budget and a predetermined amount of time to fill.

The crew often has little insight into the "documentary" they are producing.  Land Speed Racing, the Westminster Dog Show, the Art of Quilting - doesn't matter.  "Here's the footage, here are the interviews, no money to convert the 16mm print to digital, we need to fill an hour."

For the editor - the person who actually puts it together - the script is simply a guideline - it certainly isn't a road map. 

Sometimes, people accuse these production companies of purposely ignoring information or having "an agenda".  More often than not, they simply take the easiest path to get that hour filled.

At the end of the day, what you get is a collage of video, a smattering of interviews, an incongruent story line, and a non-cohesive program.

All that said, it occurs to me that there's a lot of footage on the Blue Flame available.  Dick, did they even contact you?

To give short shrift to the Blue Flame is an unforgivable oversight on the producer's part, even if they don't know exactly what they're doing.

If it did raise awareness of the current North American Eagle program, I'd say that is a good thing.

Again, I need to watch it.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline tortoise

« Reply #215 on: July 20, 2018, 12:21:15 PM »
Watch for the bit where they misidentify Nathan Ostich's car as Arfons'.

Offline ski123

« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2018, 06:16:51 PM »
NAE what's going on?  Alvord?  Jessi?

Offline MX304

« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »
I just saw a social media post from the team that Ed Shadle passed away early this morning. https://twitter.com/landspeed763/status/1038126415596535809

Offline ski123

« Reply #218 on: September 07, 2018, 10:40:16 PM »
RIP Ed, keep the dream alive NAE team.  Go Fast USA!

Offline MX304

« Reply #219 on: September 07, 2018, 11:15:13 PM »
RIP Ed, keep the dream alive NAE team.  Go Fast USA!

According to Jessi they will still be running at Alvord in the next week or two as planned.

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2018, 08:28:47 PM »
Sorry to hear about Ed's death. He never got to see his car run at full speed.

Is there enough money/interest with the others involved to have the car continue to run?
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline racergeo

« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2018, 12:47:50 AM »
  A good friend of mine went to school with Ed and was close to him. He told me Ed had a partner in the the car and they will carry on with the project as planned. Hopefully they can realize Ed's vision.

Offline MX304

« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2018, 09:51:13 PM »
They tried again a couple weeks ago with the goal of getting Jessi to 650. Fodded the engine on the first shake down pass.

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
« Reply #223 on: November 23, 2019, 07:54:56 PM »
Here's a video link of Jessi driving the car st Alvord Lake. Posted on Oct 3, 2016.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1150519524984832&id=100000803873997&_rdr

I have tried several times to post video from the lake bed of Jessi's run in the NAE, I guess the file is too big , however if you go to FB you should be able to find it under the 'Alfa Garage' page.
on another note it was a pleasure to work with the team on this endeavor , the most dedicated and friendly bunch  of folks I have ever worked with !
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 01:30:58 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline tallguy

« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2023, 12:23:18 AM »
I am certain the F-104 gang is thrilled about the publicity their project is receiving from the History Channel documentary. The documentary production was not in their hands. That 5 minutes of testing the hardness of the mud flats was a rather slow segment and looked like a time filler. That would have been a decent amount of time to cover the last American absolute world land speed record, the fastest on the Bonneville Salt Flats, and lasted 13 years before Richard Noble's turbojet broke the mile record. It was 27 years before Andy Green broke the kilometer record. Oh, that was The Blue Flame - not the anonymous "a rocket-powered vehicle" in the Speed Demons. Just saying.

I wish to acknowledge the accomplishment of the Blue Flame team, in breaking the ALSR as promptly as they did.
I have a lot of respect for the members and capabilities of the team, and the effort and expense required.  The evidence speaks for itself, regardless of drama -- which I try to avoid.  This is all regardless of any personal achievements of mine.