Author Topic: North American Eagle  (Read 194136 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: North American Eagle
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2015, 07:45:47 PM »
Brian, thanks for saying what I was thinking.  :dhorse:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2015, 09:07:28 PM »
Hey SSS, our permit is for Sept 20 to Oct 3. Cell phone service is spotty but if you hit it right, it does work. As for the Ski character, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, it just that some stink! He should apply for British citizenship and join the Bloodhound team. He'll probably criticize them too. Maybe a better choice is to start criticizing Rosco, down under.
Rosco would probably hunt him down and stuff his computer up his behind.
Ed

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2015, 09:09:03 PM »
Okay, girls and boys.  Let's get back to trying to further the goals of each and everyone one of us - as far as land speed racing goes.  Constructive criticism is good -- constructive help is even better.

And being contrary for no apparent reason -- doesn't belong here more than once in a while - and then for good reason.  I'm watching, too. :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
Thanks, Ed.  I need a fairly good signal to stream anything - so maybe I'll dig around on the various cellular providers coverage maps to see if there's any way I can be confident of finding some service.  The dates are fine - between the Shootout and WF.  Maybe, Ed, just maybe -- I'll be able to be there.  I'd enjoy it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline F104A

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2015, 01:47:21 AM »
I should put you in touch with our data aquisition and communications guys. They might have an answer for you.
Ed

Offline tallguy

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2015, 02:54:11 AM »
I met Ed Shadle about 2009 at the Redding Air Show in northern California.

He was very nice, and posed with me for a picture.

I wish success to him and the rest of the NAE team.

After reading the posts by ski123, I accelerated my efforts to help the NAE
project.  This includes a kickstarter pledge I made today.  By the way, the
total pledge amount (so far) has significantly increased in the last 24 hours,
in case anybody is interested in following the progress of this.

I'm not rich, but in order to help the NAE project raise money, I post in various
places to encourage others to also donate.  One of the places I post is craigslist
(in various cities across the country).

Today I posted in several large cities, encouraging anyone to help (financially).

Good luck, NAE!

tallguy 

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »
Total pledged so far is $7,267.00 dollars. I also want to see the NAE bring the record back to the USA. I think that if ED does not get the testing done soon and runs for the record either BLOODHOUND or AUSSIE INVADER are going to set the bar too high for the NAE to reach. I asked ED once how fast he thought NAE could run and he said 800MPH but not without some mods. KICK AZZ ED.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:32:35 PM by racefanwfo »
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline F104A

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2015, 09:36:56 PM »
The problem with Kickstarter is setting the bar to high, which we did. Yes, setting the records and all the cost surrounding it will be close to $100,000 but we can probably scrape by for less than that. If we don't hit the $100,000, it all goes back to the doners and you get nothing at all. When we went to Orlando last week for the Microsoft World Partnership Conference and were invited to participate in the keynote with Satya (CEO of Microsoft) and spent time rubbing elbows with the exec's of Microsoft we felt confident they would step up in some way more than software products. Announcing the Kickstarter in front of 15,000 people in the audience plus video streaming to over 200,000 worldwide should have spurred some donations. Well, it hasn't produced the donations we were hoping for. If we can't get a sponsor who wants to have their company featured on the History Channel documentary that will be produced, then I guess we'll just scrape money together the best way we can. Trouble is, no money, no certified timing from Mike Cook and company. Then what?
Ed

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2015, 11:14:31 PM »
What do you mean "THEN WHAT"! This is your show Ed! We're just waiting to see you get it done or at least take a real shot at it before it's too late. 
How did you figure this was going to go when you started out, did you have a plan, did you expect to pick up some big sponsors or what?
  Sid.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2015, 11:39:12 PM »
Is there a link to a PayPal site somewhere for donating?

Offline F104A

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 12:11:14 AM »
Go to our website, www.landspeed.com and the donate button is on the front page.

The other question about how this started out and all.............Well, it is a long story but the short version is: I had the idea back when the Brit's ran 763 that I could take
a mach two fighter which has the correct inlet design for supersonic speeds and use that platfom as the basis for the project. From my experience in the Air Force, I knew
the F-104 would be the best candidate because it is small and very fast. I had met with some higher-ups at Edwards AFB and told them about my idea. They loved it and
we entered into a Cooperative Research and Development agreement where they would provide surplus F-104 parts from their scrap yard and provide engineering support.
The plan was also to conduct a majority of the work and all speed runs at Edwards AFB. There is 11 miles end to end and a very nice surface. Those of us who ran at the
Muroc Reunion found the lakebed to be perfect for the project. A local fellow in Oregon who had been trying to get the surplus parts found I had gotten them via the CRDA
and it pissed him off royally. He contacted the GSA and the Air Force and claimed that I did not have a land speed project and that I was really selling the parts to middle
east countries. Soon the men in black suits were in my front yard. I had already purchased the F-104 I have, from a scrap yard in Maine and I own it free and clear. After
several visits and various events (Marlo can tell you how that works) I had to get an attorney. I eventually found myself at the US Attorney Generals office where they
did the hot lamp over my head deal for another 2 hours. They found that I never sold, traded or otherwise did anything unscrupulous with the parts. I wasn't charged and
they even wrote me a letter stating that I was debarred but that it was only a formality and that it was all a big mistake. Meanwhile GSA took all the parts back and put them
up for bid. They guy in Oregon has most of those parts now. The CRDA was also cancelled and I was left with a scrapped out F-104 and a vision. I guess it is my nature
to be stubborn so I said to myself, to hell with them! I'm going to figure out a way to do it anyway. I surrounded myself with others that share the vision and began
the project to attempt to break the world land speed record. And that's the way it was!
Ed

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 12:48:11 AM »
Thanks, Ed.  Somehow I did not see it.  A guy told me I had absolutely no chance of any success on my Triumph.  It gave me some extra motivation and he was wrong.  Do not let anyone discourage you.  You do not need to defend yourself, either.     

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2015, 01:04:11 AM »
Thanks for that Ed. Lack of information is never good & that reply helps the rest of us out here to better understand the situation you have.
The loss of technical support & venue must have been a huge blow.
Have you talked to Rosco to compare campaign notes? He's not afraid to have a chat & you are both the underdog brother's here.
  Sid. 

Offline F104A

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »
Yes, Rosco and communicate back and forth quite often. We face very similar issues of technology, government, lack of sponsorship dollars, etc.
Ed

Offline tallguy

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2015, 11:11:17 PM »
I made another donation today, after learning that the recent Kickstarter
crowdfunding effort had failed to reach its goal.

Yeah, I'm boasting.  And I would be pleased to see boasting by additional
donors who want to see America once again hold the absolute land speed record.

I'm gonna post again to craigslist, in an effort to get more support for this project.

Good luck, North American Eagle!

tallguy (in northern California)