Author Topic: North American Eagle  (Read 194140 times)

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
Re: North American Eagle
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 12:10:56 AM »
Check out the latest news on the North American Eagle by going to the Microsoft homepage and scrolling down.  Now you know why we're in Chicago.
Ed

Offline tallguy

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 03:11:57 AM »
WOW!!  That's exciting, Ed!  I've been having a growing fear about "the other guys"
breaking the LSR before you do, and this latest news is encouraging!

(In fact, I've been awaiting your latest posting for a few days.)

I hope that the publicity generated by this Microsoft association results in a lot of
financial help for the project -- the sooner, the better!

I'm personally very poor financially these days, but will donate some $ when I can.

Your runs in September could be crucial to success, and time is certainly of the
essence. 

Thanks for the updates.

tallguy (in northern California)

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 10:03:19 AM »
Ed, It's been my understanding that a lack of cubic dollars has been the obsticle preventing you from running.
Other than truck loads of data points, the article made no mention of financial support. Is Microsoft injecting the capital into your project to allow you to finally go after the record or is it just technical support & public exposure?
Everybody likes to see an underdog succeed & you & Rosco are definately the underdogs in this three horse race.
  Sid.

Offline ski123

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 06:58:23 PM »
Nice work getting on with Microsoft.  What happened with Lenovo?
Hopefully your test runs will all be funded well this season.
Now get the word out, or pay someone to do it for you.
Get out there and set some REAL records for once.  Go Fast USA!

Offline F104A

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 10:36:15 AM »
Hi KIWI. Besides needing to provide $38,000 to the BLM, funding has always been a problem. Inspiration has not been a problem.
If we are patient, Microsoft may be assisting us in our endevour. Lenovo provides products to help us but no revenue. And so it goes......
Ed

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 05:33:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply Ed. Hopefully now that you have your face in their doorway they will decide to write off a few of their tax dollars.
There's plenty of people out here wanting to see you get the opportunity to show what you can do.
Sounds like Rosco's planning a shot 2016.
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 06:42:40 PM »
Considering the amount of cash that many huge multinational companies have stashed in Europe to avoid paying US tax on it -- maybe you should move the project to, say England or someplace else -- maybe even the Canary Islands or the Philipines or Russia.  Then they could give you lots of money without feeling the hit nearly so much.  Of course if they give you some funds that are stored in the US I'd expect that they could claim the donation on their US taxes - as long as you're a non-profit (legally, that is, not just in real life) :cry:  Best wishes, as always.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 01:43:43 AM »
It just seems a$$ backwards to me that the BLM requires $38k for somebody to be able to use public land, especially a hunk of empty desert somewhere but then I'm just a simple Kiwi lost in America. What do I know!
  Sid.

Robin UK

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 04:30:42 AM »
Considering the amount of cash that many huge multinational companies have stashed in Europe to avoid paying US tax on it -- maybe you should move the project to, say England or someplace else -- maybe even the Canary Islands or the Philipines or Russia.  Then they could give you lots of money without feeling the hit nearly so much.  Of course if they give you some funds that are stored in the US I'd expect that they could claim the donation on their US taxes - as long as you're a non-profit (legally, that is, not just in real life) :cry:  Best wishes, as always.

Slim - no point coming here as these news stories will testify.

◾A four-month investigation by news agency Reuters revealed that Starbucks reportedly paid just £8.6m in corporation tax in the UK over 14 years - including reporting accounting losses when it was profitable
◾ Google's UK unit paid just £6m to the Treasury in 2011 on turnover of £395m, according to the Telegraph
◾The UK's biggest online retailer Amazon generated sales of more than £3.3bn in the country last year but paid no corporation tax on any of the profits, according to the Guardian
◾ Facebook in the UK paid £238,000 in tax last year, according to its accounts, with most of the company's income believed to be legally going through its European base in Dublin, where corporation tax is lower than the UK
◾ Apple paid less than 2% corporation tax on its profits outside the US, paying $713m (£445m) on foreign pre-tax profits of $36.8bn
◾ US auction site eBay paid only £1.2m in tax in the UK, according to an investigation by the Sunday Times

How do they do it? Any way they can, usually via Liechtenstein, Bermuda, Ireland, Switzerland and other power houses of the global economy  :-D  Starbucks for instance buys all its coffee for the UK from Switzerland. Maybe the Swiss grow great coffee. On the other hand maybe it's because Starbucks set up a Swiss based import operation paying low tax there in order to sell it back to itself at a price that reduces it's profit in the UK to almost nothing.

I know you guys wonder why US based global corporates don't provide Ed with more support but the key word is "global" imo. They act globally and will do whatever it takes to maximise overall global profits, so simply appealing to national pride rarely cuts it with them. Show them a business case with numbers that support their sales and marketing plans and they'll listen. No disrespect to them, but that's tough for a team of guys that are first and foremost racers.

It's not just the outright LSR participants who struggle for funding. Even F1 is moving inexorably away from its European roots to countries where governments pick up the tab for reasons of national pride and little else. Their business model now depends on a ever shifting global TV audience rather than local punters and fans. The French GP bit the dust a few years back while Germany has gone the same way this year and there is talk of Monza under threat. Meanwhile, there will be a GP in Azerbaijan next year!!!! Could be a hot bed of international motor sport or it could be all the oil money. Mmmm, wonder which? Who'd have thought that the birthplace of motor sport and the homes of Mercedes Benz and Ferrari could be without home GPs? But as they say in business - follow the money.

I personally wish Ed and the team well whatever happens.

Robin

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2015, 07:05:50 AM »
To get to the truth in ANY corporate or political endeavor . . . . . . . follow the money . . . . . .

:dhorse:

F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline TD

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »
Interesting reading here regarding BLM permitting of the Black Rock Desert playa for recreational use, with references to the 1997 record attempts as well.  The site's home page provides context.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:39:48 PM by TD »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 01:05:59 PM »
Even more interesting to me was the news from the Bloodhound team NOT going to make an attempt on the record this year but instead make "test" runs in the 600-700 mph range due to problems with there rocket engine development.
The door is ajar Eagle...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
They John Galt for a sponsor!  :evil:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline tallguy

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 01:12:28 AM »
I am having trouble finding (anywhere) the "Big Announcement" that the
North American Eagle's website said would be available early on July 13.

Anyone know where this "Big Announcement" is?  Or what it is?

I hope it's not something like "NAE is now on Kickstarter, seeking your help".

I am already donating as much as I can afford to the project.

Ed: help or clarify, please?   If the announcement hasn't yet been made,
I would understand (but don't like being teased). 

Best of luck with the project.  I'll try to get others to join the Kickstarter
effort for your team.

Offline F104A

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »
My business partner, Keith, posted the "Big Announcement" without knowing anything of the trip to Orlando. Yes, we did spend time with the top executives of Microsoft, including the CEO, Satya. Brandyn, our IT guru, announced in front of 15,000 audiance and 200,000 streaming recipients that we are opening up a kickstarter program to raise the needed funds to run for the two records (yes, I know) Kitty O'Neil at 512 with Jessi Combs driving and me going after Richard Nobles 633 record which is the worlds fastest single engine record. We need these runs to validate our computer modeling so we know whether we can go after Thrust SSC record of 763. You would think, by now, that one or more large corporate sponsors would be interested in being the featured sponsor on our special by History Channel. Nothing yet but hoping!!!
Ed