Author Topic: Blue Flame/Thrust 2 issue?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline MAYOMAN

Re: Blue Flame/Thrust 2 issue?
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2024, 09:07:30 AM »
The Blue Flame is a rocket powered vehicle. As such, it consumed the fuel and oxidizer at a very high rate compared to a turbojet. It was designed to achieve a Mach1-plus and speed record with 22,000 pounds thrust and 20 seconds run time. That would have required approximately 2 miles acceleration to the speed trap (mile and kilometer). The Bonneville international course was 12 miles of usable surface with the measured mile/kilometer roughly in the middle. So, there were 5 miles to decelerate using 2-stage parachutes.
That was in 1970, and the course may have since become shorter due to degradation of the salt flats. In 1970, Goodyear imposed a temporary maximum speed on their tires of 700mph for our first record attempts. We modified our rocket to only produce 16,000 pounds maximum thrust which resulted in the 630mph (1,015kph) kilometer record. Unfortunately, we were unable to upgrade the rocket and finish the supersonic record attempt afterward.
The design performance of The Blue Flame is attached.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Gazza

• New folks
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2024, 12:20:55 PM »
The Blue Flame is a rocket powered vehicle. As such, it consumed the fuel and oxidizer at a very high rate compared to a turbojet. It was designed to achieve a Mach1-plus and speed record with 22,000 pounds thrust and 20 seconds run time. That would have required approximately 2 miles acceleration to the speed trap (mile and kilometer). The Bonneville international course was 12 miles of usable surface with the measured mile/kilometer roughly in the middle. So, there were 5 miles to decelerate using 2-stage parachutes.
That was in 1970, and the course may have since become shorter due to degradation of the salt flats. In 1970, Goodyear imposed a temporary maximum speed on their tires of 700mph for our first record attempts. We modified our rocket to only produce 16,000 pounds maximum thrust which resulted in the 630mph (1,015kph) kilometer record. Unfortunately, we were unable to upgrade the rocket and finish the supersonic record attempt afterward.
The design performance of The Blue Flame is attached.

I know I'm being picky but you have 10^-3 on you distance axis, surely that should be positive not negative ie 10^3?

^ means 'to the power of'

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2024, 01:49:25 PM »
Correct! ^ ^ ^
That graph was from the engineering thesis in 1968!
By way, the task we had was to accelerate to the middle of the speed trap, at less than 700mph, when fuel ran out. Too fast and Goodyear would take their tires and go home (Akron).
We hit 660mph.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline tallguy

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2024, 01:46:06 AM »
Correct! ^ ^ ^
That graph was from the engineering thesis in 1968!
By way, the task we had was to accelerate to the middle of the speed trap, at less than 700mph, when fuel ran out. Too fast and Goodyear would take their tires and go home (Akron).
We hit 660mph.

MAYOMAN, Thank you for the information you posted.  As usual, you have provided a wealth of information. 
You have my admiration and respect, and I am glad that you have the information (drawings, etc.) available, more than 50 years after the Blue Flame made its runs. 

My first (not using calculations) guess would have been that the Blue Flame accelerated more slowly, using a longer distance
before entering the measured mile or kilometer.  But your team's success speaks for itself.  I am very impressed.

I am aware that some modern top fuel dragsters accelerate at more than 4 Gs, and I don't know how the drivers manage
to stay conscious and in control. 

If Aussie Invader 5 accelerates to 1000 mph in 22 seconds, this translates to (on average) 1000/22 miles per hour per second, or about 66.67 ft/sec/sec, which is just a little over 2Gs.  I hope that Rosco plans to "work his way up to doing this."  Good luck to him.  And thank you for all your contributions to this forum. 

Offline Gazza

• New folks
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2024, 08:31:53 AM »
I did the math as there was plenty of data available for BF using the thrust equation. I had to deduce the drag coeff, but I believe it was close to the true figure and the speed came out at around 820 mph using the 20,000 lbf rocket option. Providing the airframe could withstand the transition to Mach 1 and it was stable enough and didn't take off who knows what could have been achieved.

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2024, 09:18:33 AM »
I would like a t-shirt.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline tallguy

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2024, 02:50:28 AM »
I did the math as there was plenty of data available for BF using the thrust equation. I had to deduce the drag coeff, but I believe it was close to the true figure and the speed came out at around 820 mph using the 20,000 lbf rocket option. Providing the airframe could withstand the transition to Mach 1 and it was stable enough and didn't take off who knows what could have been achieved.

Possibly a disaster, unless they didn't use those tires.  Bare aluminum wheels seem more popular these days, and using a stronger material -- such as titanium -- wrapped around the perimeter of the aluminum to help hold it together has been
considered.  Maybe carbon fiber would make sense, as materials technology continues to improve.

I don't lose a lot of sleep worrying about a car going 800 mph or so.  But I am very concerned about 1000 mph.
Yes, it seems like an exciting number.  But there's a world of difference between about 800 mph and about 1000 mph, and
I don't want anybody else to die while trying to set a land speed record.  I'm saddened by the deaths that have already
happened in this pursuit. 

If Rosco -- or whoever -- breaks the existing record by going about 800 mph, I hope they stop after doing that, and enjoy retirement from that activity.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 12:01:45 AM by tallguy »