Author Topic: In-line electric water pumps.  (Read 9622 times)

Offline SteveM

In-line electric water pumps.
« on: November 26, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »
I'm investigating the possibility of running an electric water pump for the "next" engine which will go into my Rampage.  I'm planning a Mercedes diesel, and would like to ditch the accessory drive belt if possible.

That engine will make a lot more power than my little VW (at least twice as much).

For those of you using in-line type electric water pumps, what are you using, and how well is it working for you?

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline 1leg

Re: In-line electric water pumps.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »
Could you give us an estimate on the HP level and assuming your going to use a turbo how much boost are you going to have.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »
400 HP, turbo diesel, maybe 60 lbs of boost.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:28:16 PM »
call Francis on Monday at Ron's Fuel injection in Tucson AZ  I think they have a pump for Sprint cars
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 1leg

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:26:29 PM »
I think a belt driven water pump would be a better option in this application. With 60lbs of boost you will want the pump pressure and flow a belt driven pump will give you. Most racing electric water pump create very little pump pressure. Pump pressure will help to scrub heat out of the head(s) better. Plus a belt driven pump will flow a greater amount of water above 2500 rpm pump speed.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 05:47:14 AM »
Most racing electric water pump create very little pump pressure. Pump pressure will help to scrub heat out of the head(s) better.

x2

If your cylinder heads run hot enough to induce "steam pockets" in some areas, then the additional fluid pressure of a belt driven pump will probably be needed.  That has been my experience.

:cheers:
F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 10:19:36 AM »
......If your cylinder heads run hot enough to induce "steam pockets" in some areas, then the additional fluid pressure of a belt driven pump will probably be needed.  ....

.............or if the rules permit in your class think seriously about a rad-in-a-box.

Now you can have pressure and flow on the radiator/engine side.  You still need a pump from your main tank to the rad-in-a-box but it isn't now as critical and some have the radiator in the main tank.  Separate tanks do have advantages though.

What we did and I like it over what we had a lot....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20hooley-construction-2013-13.html

Sumner

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 11:04:54 AM »
If hot spots are a problem, wouldn't a belt driven pump give added pressure in addition to what the system is pressure relieved at?

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »
We run a 600hp twin turbo Duramax in a street rod with a Davies-Craig electric pump beside the engine. We put over 4000 miles on it this year when we ran Drag Week & we drove it there & back. For a race only application get the one without the controller.
  Sid.
https://www.google.com/#q=davies+craig+electric+water+pump&tbm=shop

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »
I have used the 1 1/4" version of this one with no problems. http://www.stewartcomponents.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=70
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 09:12:39 AM »
Since I went to a mechanical pump I have not hurt any more heads---you need PRESSURE to suppress the formation of the steam bubbles several have stated this in different ways!

love my Stewart BBC high volume pump with a restrictors or thermostat to keep the pressure UP!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »
I've run electric pumps on my  GMC's since I started in 1975. Seems like I've tried them all. The best one in the garage was a Stewart Coomponents but it didn't like any heat near the controls and had a funny way of starting. The Mezere ended being the best. i believe it stated 50/60 gpm free flow and emptied my water tank in less than 15 seconds shooting out a -16 hose 20'. With restrictors in the return lines there is pressure in the engine enough to cool without problems... Good luck.JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »
I second Davies Craig pumps.  Work great.  Only problem we had is once the coolant boils the pump cavatates which would probably happen to any pump.  Why don't we run a pressurized cooling system you may ask?  Because when you run an 80 year old engine that's full of cracks and crank repair jobs, you don't want water going places it shouldn't (like into the cylinders).
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »
80-year-old Toyota?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »
Stan

Nathan meant the Royal "We" as in his family's car, not "My" car, which is a GMC, says so on the cylinder head  :evil:

I'm with Sparky, run a mechanical pump, and a sophisticated cooling system to drive cooling system pressure up and keep water up into the cylinder head. I do this using a CR Racing, Air Spring. YMMV

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor