Author Topic: Generator quiet question  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Generator quiet question
« on: November 22, 2014, 10:30:06 PM »
Ok question here.

What do you do when you are in the pits of Elmo or Bonneville or where ever, what do you do to quiet the generator?
Obviously if you don't run it, then its quiet. Do you build a wall of some kind around it, or ????

Just thinking in the off season of how I can accommodate this.

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Generator quiet question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:12:54 AM »
get a longer extension cord and put it in the corner of your pit, next to your neighbor's generator...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »
If you can upgrade to a Honda EU Inverter generator you will have a quiet unit. No annoying banging that we associate with generators.  While a bit pricey it is the Rolls Royce of generators. They come in virtually every size.

Joe

Offline jauguston

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »
Another advantage to the EU Honda is its the only one that has a fuel  pump that allows the use of a auxilary fuel tank. I use a 3 gallon outboard tank with my EU1000 with our RV. Using a 6 gallon tank you could go the entire meet without refueling a EU 2000.

Jim

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »
Loud generators drive everyone nearby nuts and put them in a bad mood.  The recommendation about the Honda EU generator is a good one.  We have one and they are like said, nice and quiet. 

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 12:24:46 PM »
I have two single cyl 9kw gen's that are old & were as loud as hell. I put a cheap turbo muffer on one of them that made it very acceptable even close up.
For as much electrical requirements most people need in the pits an inverter on your truck will take care of most of it.
One of my 9kw's is on my service truck but I mostly use the inverter & can run a drill or grinder & two 100w work lights at the same time. It's 1100w & you can buy em for about 80 bucks.
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 01:49:35 PM »
We've pitted next to enough noisy generators to be very happy when the neighbor, moving his stuff into his new pit, at least asks where he can put the generator to minimise the disturbance to us.  But if you think that's bad, worse is the neighbor with not only a noisy generator -- but car that needs lots of tuning in the pit -- and running a healthy load of nitro.  It's not just the smell or the noise -- it's the burning of our eyes. . . :-o
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »
Late-night generators at The Bend In The Road are not well received.  :x

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 11:46:14 PM »
I haven't seen one - yet - but through my work, I was made privy to a new Generac inverter model on the horizon.  The CEO told us last January that they should be out by the end of the year, and they're looking to assemble them in the US.  I'm going to hold off an a purchase until I can check one out.

Generac also got back into the power washer business.  In fact, the service that power washes cars at Land's End has one. 

The big upside?  I've toured seven of their plants - and I didn't have to go overseas to do it. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:47:58 AM »
We use some smaller Generic-s (1500KW) and they perform well.   Basically a knock off of Honda with a much lower price.   If they make an inverter model it will be considerably lower priced than a Honda.  Not the same longevity as a Honda but if you use for racing only it doesn't get used hard.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »
I haven't seen one - yet - but through my work, I was made privy to a new Generac inverter model on the horizon.  The CEO told us last January that they should be out by the end of the year, and they're looking to assemble them in the US.  I'm going to hold off an a purchase until I can check one out.

Generac also got back into the power washer business.  In fact, the service that power washes cars at Land's End has one. 

The big upside?  I've toured seven of their plants - and I didn't have to go overseas to do it. 

http://www.lowes.com/pd_28153-24212-0057930_0__?productId=3712820&Ntt=generac+portable+generators&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dgenerac%2Bportable%2Bgenerators&facetInfo=

Offline jauguston

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 06:39:50 PM »
Notice with all the detailed specs Generac publishes for their inverter 2000w generator they for some reason seem to avoid saying how noisy it is-Hmmmmm (-:

Jim

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »

http://www.lowes.com/pd_28153-24212-0057930_0__?productId=3712820&Ntt=generac+portable+generators&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dgenerac%2Bportable%2Bgenerators&facetInfo=

That's the old one they've been selling for the last 3 years.  I was told the new one was supposed to be out this year, although I haven't seen it. 

The CEO was pretty adamant about eating Honda's lunch with the new one, but . . .

. . . where is it?   :roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: