Author Topic: ignition tester???  (Read 2618 times)

Offline entropy

ignition tester???
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:57:54 AM »
My current issue is ignition noise contaminating data logging channels.  
NA carb v8 with MSD ignition.

On Racepak advice, i moved the data cables as far as i could from any ign wires/components and it really helped
But i'd love to "cure" the noise and bench test electronic components like tach, shift light, rpm AND assure no noise is in the logging system.

Greg, my Racepak guy turned me onto an ign tester which apparently fires up the ign system without starting the engine:
https://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_menu&cat=Engine%20Parts&sub=Distributors%20and%20Ignition&ssub=Ignition%20Testers
Does anyone have any experience or know someone who does with these type testers, i.e. MSD 8998?

It is time for me to go to ignition systems 101...
Karl

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: ignition tester???
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 03:24:26 PM »
I have a MSD tester but me thinks your problem my be solid core spark plug wires? Buy the MSD anyway as you can use it to test when the rev limiter come on ( not just whats on the label) setting your shift light, matching tach to datal log rpm etc.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:56:07 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 04:43:40 PM »
I have a MSD tester but me thinks your problem my be solid core spark plug wires? But the MSD anyway as you can use it to test when the rev limiter come on ( not just whats on the label) setting your shift light, matching tach to datal log rpm etc.

x2

My experience is that you can not run solid core ignition wires at all with data logging.

And it helps to have "shielding" for the data collection wiring.   Trust me on this, even a crank mag trigger can cause problems.

Check out the shielding on the ignition wires/magnetos on a WWII warbird.   No shielding = no radio talkie . . . . .   Primitive AND effective solution.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 06:12:39 PM »
I dunno about MSD but Crane specifically says not to use solid- core wires plug wires with their HI-6.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jdincau

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 06:50:15 PM »
I dunno about MSD but Crane specifically says not to use solid- core wires plug wires with their HI-6.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
MSD says the same and to run the magnetic pickup wires away from any high tension leads.
AEM tells me to run the wires from the MSD box to the coil as a shielded twisted pair and far apart as possible from the data collection circuits.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:52:28 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline entropy

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 06:24:16 AM »
Guys,
Thanks much for the input!

1.  i need to understand how my current system relates to your advice:
a)  distributor/coil - p/n "MSD-8362" Street Fire HEI Distributor - Summit, $149.95
b)  ignition wires - MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire" (red, 90 degree on dist & plugs), Summitt p/n 35599 (probably)
c)  spark plugs - ACDelco 19307139 Specialty Rapidfire Spark Plug - bought July 3, 2014

2. then figure out if any of that stuff needs to be replaced

3. then re-route/replace the wiring & switching as needed.

4.  then i'd like to test as much of the system as possible before starting the engine.  This is where the MSD tester 8998 or 8995 might come into play.
Dynoroom, you have that tester (which one?), have you found it useful? 
I'll happily spend $190 on the tester if i know which model to buy.  

I have the time and I have the desire, so thanks much for your input.
Karl
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:30:21 AM by entropy »