Author Topic: automotive engineering  (Read 3320 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

automotive engineering
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:53:02 PM »
My middle son, Josef, is in the Marine Corps at Camp Pendleton.  He is taking afternoon and night classes in automotive technology at Saddleback College.  It is a school near the base.  He is doing very well and he loves it.  He will be getting out of the military in a couple of years and he is interested in using his GI Bill money to further his education.  Do any of you have experience with a four year program in automotive engineering or technology, and especially one with emphasis on electronics?  You can post it here or give me a PM.    - Bo

Offline SteveM

Re: automotive engineering
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 04:02:42 PM »
It is my understanding that not many universities offer a specialized Automotive Engineering degree program.  The people I know who work as engineers in the auto industry generally have Mechanical Engineering degrees.  There may be some elective courses specifically tailored to electronic controls, but the Automotive Engineering degree program would be highly specialized and uncommon.

Why not Mechanical or Electrical Engineering?  Those programs offer a lot of job opportunities in various manufacturing applications?

Steve.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 04:53:52 PM »
Bo;

If the military is anything like what it was when I was in the Army ('60 to '63), they offer many valuable schools to enlisted men. I assure that there are courses for officers as well.

After Basic Training at Ft Knox, KY I was sent to the Nuclear Weapons Ordnance Electronics school at Ft Monmouth, NJ. After that I was assigned to the Corporal Ground Guidance Electronics course at the Ordnance Guided Missile School, Redstone Arsenal, AL. These two schools were extremely valuable to me when I pursued a career in electronics later in civilian life.

Have your son talk to the personnel officer and make it known that he wants advanced technical training. Keep asking.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:03:17 PM »
I went to Michigan Tech -- one of the top-line engineering schools.  They don't (and haven't) had a four year degree in automotive engineering.  They do have, though, a very large representation of graduates in the automotive field.  Go to any of the major (heck, the minors, too) auto companies and you'll find a big batch of Tech grads.

You might be able to find out if there is such a thing as a specific auto. engineering program by calling Tech and asking what they can tell you.  Some lesser schools with engineering programs might also be able to help you find something that'll fit.  Try Purdue or Cornell, maybe.  Kettering University, in Flint, Michigan, was founded by auto folks.  I don't see them listing an auto engr. program, but they might also be able to steer you in the right direction.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 05:57:03 PM »
Look for a school with a Formula SAE program.

Offline JimL

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
Bo....had the wrong locale on that PM.

Heres an idea.

http://www.pittstate.edu/department/auto/about-the-department/

I have worked with many of these graduates at Toyota as well as some SAE events.  They come with some well rounded skills and they can do a lot more than punch a calculator!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:37:46 PM by JimL »

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 07:47:02 PM »
Sorry too fast on the post button! Google: Motorsports Engineering
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »
The last two engine management development engineers we hired both came from Ferris State which is up in Michigan.  Mechanical engineering doesn't do much to teach you about modern electronic engine controls and electrical engineering doesn't do much to teach you about mechanical automotive stuff.  Someone who's more of a gear head car-guy kinda dude would do better pursuing an automotive engineering program IMO because core engineering programs like ME or EE are really, really tough.  I went to Cal Poly Pomona for ME which is how I wound up in the Army.  :roll:  I took the long way around but wound up with the career I planned on having since I was a kid.  As far as the program at Ferris State goes, the two guys we hired showed up totally ready to jump into their positions.  What took me many years to learn on my own through experience these guys learned at Ferris. 

BTW wobbly, I live in south OC so I'm near Pendleton and Saddleback.  My dyno shop is in Costa Mesa and I work at AEM which is up near LA.  Perhaps your son would like to shadow a tuning job or come up to LA for a tour of the AEM facility.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »
A link to this thread was sent to my son.  He read everything.  He is planning on getting an associate of science degree in automotive technology and a bachelor of science in mechanical or electrical engineering.

Thanks for posting all of this.  It is a big help.   

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 12:40:54 AM »
Good! 

Now, is he going to Nathan up on his offer?   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 01:12:28 AM »
I do not know, Mike.  It works best if I am not closely involved in my children's lives.  Next time I am down there I will give Nathan a visit.