Author Topic: APS body taper?  (Read 10941 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: APS body taper?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »
A look at the photo galleries on Scooter Grubb's Smugmug website shows what folks are doing with their feet.  Most have them forward in the wider part of the body and they scrunch up during their tuck.  It is difficult.  Remember to go pee just before you leave the line.   

Offline bbarn

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »
You might also be able to pull it of by running a pair of wheels in tandem and a pair offset slightly. Balance would be tricky and I would worry about cross-winds. You basically would be running a 4 wheeled motorcycle.

If you went side-by-side, you would have a car with a wheel track that is only 10 inches wide if you ran the wheels 4 cornered but close. Then you have the conversation in your head that a chain drive slipped between the drive wheels takes up the least room width wise and things really get crazy from there!

I think in could be done but it won't be without lots of critical thinking and testing to make sure it is stable. Width is going to be limited by either the diff diameter + offset + wheel width or coming up with a staggered drive wheel setup that works. Electric motor might be the best way to pull that off. Might as well make it 4x4 if you are going that route.

I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »
Lots of good thoughts from you guys.

I finally realized that the real problem here is not body shape or length. It's simply that my feet are too far apart with the current design. So we came up with a new footpeg location that moves my feet inward far enough to solve the body taper problem.

Only nine more months to Speedweek!
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 01:06:27 AM »
That's what I like about brainstorming. You may not get the answer directly but it makes you think and often in another direction. Brainstorming works.  :-o :-o :-D

Pete

Online 55chevr

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »
John Parham (J&P Cycles) said. " If you give a problem to 10 Bonneville racers, you will get different solutions and they will all work."

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
That's what I like about brainstorming. You may not get the answer directly but it makes you think and often in another direction. Brainstorming works.  :-o :-o :-D

Pete

Exactly!
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline JimL

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2014, 10:05:11 PM »
....been agonizing over this, ever since I cut the bike in half a couple weeks ago and made it longer and lower.  I'm going to try an experiment and we'll see what happens.

I think we might have two aero forms to deal with.  The front half with the rider, and how to get a decent aero release off of that mess, and a rear section that must take what airflow it gets and do something with it.  That rear section will be its own streamlined form as much as possible.  I think I will just give it a similar form as a nose shape, followed by clean tapers to a proper Kamm location tail.

Not much to lose with this experiment....clear out of horsepower and absolutely "long term unemployed!" :lol:

JimL