Author Topic: couple questions  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
couple questions
« on: November 15, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »
Ran El Mirage last weekend and had the inspector write two things in my log book that I am not sure are problems first that I need a polycarbonate front windshield due to running on a record over 200 this may change in 15 but the 2014 rule says "all vehicles in classes where the record is over 200 shall have all non-laminated windows constructed of polycarbonate material" the front windshield is laminated and all others are lexan so what am i missing.

Also said i need a fuel vent that travels three planes I understand what this means just don't know why my vent isn't acceptable the only vent in my fuel cell is the vented fuel cap that has a one way check valve. Any help appreciated!

Thanks Rocket
http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline RichFox

Re: couple questions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »
Good question. I don't know why your windshield wouldn't be legal. Same for your fuel vent. You should have asked the inspector for clarification while he was there. 

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 02:31:34 PM »
I did ask on the vent and he just went into an explanation on how to do the new one. I had a rookie inspector don't have anything bad to say about him.
http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »
Laminated windshield is fine. A plain ol check valve in the cap is a little lacking imo. What's better imo is a sealed cap and a dedicated vent off the tank with a racing type roll over valve. But the whole 3 planes thing is totally not necessary. If it was required, it'd be in the rule book. Case in point, I've seen/heard a few inspectors telling competitors coming through tech to do this over/under/around vent hose thing which is not required so I put in a rule change request to make it a requirement. If all the inspectors are telling competitors to do something then that thing should obviously be adapted as a rule.  Anyways, my request was turned down which verifies that the 3 plane vent thing is not a rule therefore is not required.  If you have a problem with this in the future, just talk to kiwi steve (assuming he's actually there).
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 01:54:37 PM »
... If it was required, it'd be in the rule book. ...

Yep, from 2014 rule book page 8 ....

1.A TECHNICAL INSPECTION:

All inspections will be made using the current year SCTA Rules and Records book.  No competitor will be required to modify/revise/rebuild/augment any component or feature of the competition vehicle without a direct citation of the relevant rule and a clear description of the infraction/shortfall/misunderstanding of a specific entry in the Rule Book.   In the event of a continuing divergence of opinion between the inspector and the competitor, the issue shall be referred to the Chief Inspector.

Each participating vehicle.....and on and on...

Sumner