Author Topic: How about a new club to join the SCTA?  (Read 11650 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
How about a new club to join the SCTA?
« on: November 12, 2014, 07:50:36 PM »
I've thought about this idea a bunch of times, and I know others have, too (we've talked about the idea at venues other than this Forum - that's why you haven't seen it).

So - why not form a club that is specifically for those of us that live far enough away that it'd be a bitch-kitty to get to El Mirage for regular duty on a regular basis.  Temper that with the idea that members of the club would have to give some time to those duties -- maybe once every year or two.  Then the new club (the "Out Riders"?  The "Out Landers"? Your preference?) could partake of the regular duty schedule (once or twice a year or whatever it takes) but individuals wouldn't have to fly in to SoCal save every year or two.

I expect that there are many racers that would like to be a member of one of the SCTA clubs but finds it difficult for one reason or another -- often the duty, sometimes the surcharge that non-local residents have to pay.  With a big bunch of racers there might well be enough to fully cover duties as assigned without having one or three or whatever get to EM a bunch of times in a row.

And there are other reasons for a Club, too:  One is that there are fewer Clubs now than there were a while back, so one more won't be breaking new ground by having too many clubs.  Another is that many of the racers out in the hinterlands would like to do more for the avocation of land speed racing - more than just attending Bville whenever possible and maybe once or twice in a race career visiting EM for an event.  And I know some of those out in the sticks would like the opportunity to be privy to the SCTA minutes and other information that regular club members get to see on a regular basis.

There you have it.  Let's discuss, okay?  Point out further good reasons, point out (if you can think of them) any reasons why there should not be another club.  Remember that it's still just an idea in the heads of a few folks, so don't get too crabby because I've brought up the idea, okay? :-D :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: How about a new club to join the SCTA?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:40:53 PM »
Okay, here's some spaghetti - let's see what sticks to the fridge.

Of course, the acceptance of additional clubs would be dependent upon the current clubs agreeing to such an arrangement, so realistically, what could an additional club bring to the table?

Are there currently sufficient volunteers for the Elmo meets?  Would extra bodies be an advantage or a hindrance?  There would need to be a lot of training on the part of current members getting folks up to speed on procedures.

Can El Mirage sustain another maybe dozen entries per weekend from out-of-townies? 

As to the meeting minutes, that's an interesting one.  As my focus is Bonneville, I'm at the mercy of decisions made by SCTA member clubs that hold a higher degree of sway regarding Speedweek and World Finals.  So far, I've had no real issue with that, but after this last year, with both SCTA-BNI events rained out, I can't help but wonder what kind of shape the organization is in.  As a club member, I'd have a better insight. 

And then there's the issue of El Mirage itself.  The SCTA has had a long term relationship with the BLM regarding Elmo, and from time to time, I see or here of issues that need to be addressed to assuage the bureau.  Would a larger SCTA be a help or a hindrance dealing with the landlord?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:15:36 AM »
Subscribing
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »
I see a part of the problem in the name. Southern California Timing Assn. Not UPTA or USTA. It was never organized to serve the entire country.  That's what BNI is for. The SCTA exists because of and for Southern California dry lakes racers. What advantage to the existing organization would an at large club be?

Offline jdincau

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »
Take a look at the El Mirage procedures specifically pages 17-17 appendix A, B and C,

http://www.scta-bni.org/pdf/2014/2014%20El%20Mirage%20Procedures%20Final_C.pdf

Every club has multiple duties at every meet not just once in a while.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 10:44:17 AM »
Several years ago someone wanted to start a northern California SCTA club. It went through the motions and and never had the number of members along with the long distance they were from El Mirage.
As Jim Dincau stated in his remarks there are a lot of things that would be required. There are clubs that have members from all around the country and a couple from Canada. Not all clubs take out of area members. The dues are more and would require a club rep for board member meetings, a full set of bylaws etc.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 11:22:32 AM »
I think SSS said they would have to pull duty just like any other club!!

Several months ago I posted an invitation of other members across the USA to contact me about becoming active to protect our access to public lands---this is becoming an issue that in my opinion the SCTA is going to soon need to address or they are not going to have any where to race!! 

I would support any action that would HELP give LSR racers  more of a NATIONAL political voice!!!  WE NEED TO GET    PRO_ ACTIVE or we will be LOCKED OUT!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 12:09:02 PM »
I think SSS said they would have to pull duty just like any other club!!
I read that, I just wanted to point out the number of persons required and that the number of posts to fill is indexed to the number of club members.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »
Thanks, Jim.  I have wondered how the clubs and members divvied up the duties and you've given me a good place to start understanding. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JR529

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 01:15:35 PM »
I have wondered about this in the past as well. But it always comes back to the problem of pulling lakes duties and attending the monthly board/reps meetings.

Figure on 1 lakes duty per member per year as a very rough approximation. So a 20 member club will need to fill ~20 spots per year at El Mirage. It gets pretty tough.

I think a better way would be for an existing smaller club to restructure itself as a long-distance-centric club with a few core members located in SoCal.

There are some members who like to volunteer every lakes meet, and they would like to even more if they were being paid to do it. So imagine a club structure that allows members to join as either a volunteering local, or non-volunteering distance member. The long distance members pay a cash premium to be a full member but without any duties. The local members get paid cold hard cash to work extra duties (say $40 per). Local SCTA members would want to join the club to be paid to do what they would probably do for free and long distance members would gladly pay extra to be a full voting member but not have to pull a duty. Of course the club would need a way to quickly disseminate information to its members and get their input on fast turn basis but that would be easy with a club forum restricted to club members only and everything posted there and voted on. They could even have a yearly get together party / banquet / elections at Speedweek.

Last year we lost a club due to low enrollment (Lakers, they fell below 10 members), it’s a shame that happened when there are people out there who I think would join in the above scenario.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:18:43 PM by JR529 »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 01:45:21 PM »
The idea JR points out above is sound. It was also announced at the last SCTA board meeting that we were in jeopardy of loosing another club (Eliminators) and they are looking for more members. So, if you guys are serious this might be a path you can follow.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 02:35:16 PM »
As a long time member I have seen a lot of things happen to clubs and issues dealing with the lakes meets and duties that go along with it. A couple of months ago two members didn't so up for the 1/2 day patrol duty and we had to scramble to find replacements for those patrol stations. Each member is required prior to the meet find a replacement for their duty. Neither showed and each member was fined $200.00 payable by Dec.1st. Failure to do so will cause their membership from the club and loss of good standing within the club. The loss of good standing will not let them run or join another club until the fines are paid.

Our club the Gear Grinders post job assignments before the first meet and has all patrol positions are note for AM & PM duty stations. Thip duty assignment sheet covers the whole season.
The bylaws were written for everyone and all members are given one when they join the club.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 02:44:47 PM »
Gentlemen, I thank you very much for the stuff you're telling us/me.  I don't know the details of stuff like duties and club minimum member quantity and on and on.  And I probably won't know lots of other stuff 'til you mention it here as a reason for/against getting those outside the "traditional" SoCal area clubs -- into a club where all know the full complement of requirements and privileges.

Keep the discussion going.  Thanks. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 11:35:50 PM »
Hi SSS,

In looking at this, and the progression of the Internet, consider this: I do not see a reason why Individuals have to physically attend the club meeting at such and such location. Think about this: Soldiers in the armed forces can skype, Grandparents across the world can have conversations with their kids and relatives then afterwards send emails to communicate.

Most of us if not all of us, already have email and the technology to video conf.

So why is it mandatory to meet at such and such place? IMHO because so and so has done it for years.

Smart phones/Cell phones have replaced the land line, email is replacing snail mail, the list goes on and on.

The possibilities are endless. Consider the individual that is no longer able to attend meetings, or Speed week or land racing events, but is able to watch this on the net by simply clicking on a link in the email, or has fallen ill.

Also consider a younger type person, that is wanting or has a desire to do land racing, but is in another state. This is a way now for that individual to be involved.

As to how to pull duties at events, I don't have an answer for that, I wished  I did.

Hope this helps, not trying to stir up the pot, just my opinion.

See you on the salt
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 04:24:21 AM »
When I saw this topic, I had a club in mind straight away
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm