Author Topic: S-10 Build  (Read 20991 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: S-10 Build
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 01:36:56 PM »
Gary really knows his engine stuff very well, and works at one of the very best engine shops in the area (or any area, for that matter).  The projects built in their shop range from road race stuff, to drag cars, street cars, boats, show cars, and some really cool vintage restorations.  I need to get him a framed photo of the Rampage to go on their "Wall of Fame". 

Gary does pretty well with his drag car at Gateway International, too.

I know he said he's in St Louis, but some people may find it interesting to know that their shop is smack-dab in the middle of Ferguson, MO.  Lots of crazy stuff going on there lately, but the shop is one of those Old-School Cool speed shop type places that just feels "right" to go in.

If you get a chance, post a pic or two of your Buick, Gary.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 03:49:22 PM »
...but some people may find it interesting to know that their shop is smack-dab in the middle of Ferguson, MO.  Lots of crazy stuff going on there lately, but the shop is one of those Old-School Cool speed shop type places that just feels "right" to go in....

Interesting indeed.   I grew up on 7 acres in a small unincorporated area between Ferguson and Florrissant  (now a city of Ferguson archery range) and went to school in the Ferguson/Florissant school district.  

It has been sad to see all that has happened in that area recently.  It was a pretty low key quiet nice place to grow up in the 40's-50's and 60's.  Hopefully the residents there now can get back to that at some point,

Sumner
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:56:58 PM by Sumner »

Offline buickracer69

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 10:14:21 PM »
Steve keep telling me I needed to start a thread, but I wanted to wait until I started making progress so I had things to post. Plus I had a lot of research to do before I jumped into the project, I like to research the hell out of stuff before I actually start.

Here is a picture of my Old mans car, this was from a few weeks ago when it was still nice out and I drove it to church.

It is nothing to fancy, 455 Buick motor, turbo 400 & a 12 bolt. It is pump gas, flat tappet camed, iron headed simple combination. It has run 11.20's in good air.

My car is still in the TLC faze. I got it back together early this year and had to make the decision to sit out the season and finish the body work, or say paint be damned and go racing. You can clearly see which path I took. I honestly have almost no pictures of my car, but this is from earlier in the season when I lucked my way to the winners circle in pro. I am the guy in the white shirt, the guy in the black shirt is my best friend/crew chief/racing friend/partner in crime.

My car has a 5.3 LS engine in it, it is a stock short block with a cam. I drive it back at forth to the track and beat the crap out of the poor thing. I am not sure how many passes I made this season, but it was over a hundred. Our foot brake program has a 12.00 cap and that is what my car is set up for. It runs a lot of 12.2x and has got 11.9x in good air. I am really happy with how well the LS runs for how little I did to it and how seldom it makes me work on it.

The Ferguson situation is one that has us worried, and hopefully it does not effect us or the shop to much or it will put a major stop to my project. It really breaks my heart to see Ferguson being broadcast world wide in this light. I love Ferguson and still hang out there regularly when I am not at work. I hope they get it resolved and save the community.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »
Cool car Gary. I dig the S-10 too! I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress, and even more to seeing that little truck on the salt next year! Good luck, and remember, lots of pictures!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »
 Good to see another truck having a go at it!!   Feel free to reach out to me or kix on this site if you have any questions. We ran a 96 Sonoma in C/MMP with an LS engine. The truck belonged to Kix but he sold it to move on to another project. We made 675whp on a stingy dyno dynamics chassis dyno and set the record at 219mph and change. We had a little better aero then your truck and it still lifted the front over 3" at speed. It used most of the width of the course at Bonneville wandering around. We had plans for alot more weight in the nose.

The C/BMMP record is really soft so you should be able to get it. Besides the truck that holds that record is not really legal anyway. I also don't know what became of that truck.

We had plans to run C/BMMP with the sonoma and we were thinking 270mph or better if we could keep the nose down.

Get it as low as possible! Frame almost on the ground low.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:08:35 PM by javajoe79 »
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline buickracer69

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
Javajoe, how much did the S-10 you raced in MMP weigh?

I was thinking mine would end up in the 3500 lbs range, but from what I have been reading that seems like it might not be enough.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 12:03:54 AM »
Javajoe, how much did the S-10 you raced in MMP weigh?

I was thinking mine would end up in the 3500 lbs range, but from what I have been reading that seems like it might not be enough.

We started the first year about that weight and it was good to 220 with Hooley's first trip to the salt with a car.  Now it is over 6000.  Not so much how much but where it is for traction and CG.  All of ours is ahead of the rear axle with some in the nose and between the nose and the main weight boxes just ahead of the rear tires and right behind the front doors,

Sumner

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 02:41:35 AM »
Nice 69 Skylark You ran some good QT mile times with it. I had on years ago with a 455 and 2.56 gears, could only muster low 14s. Fun car no less.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
We were well over 5k lbs. Without ballast we were around 4500lbs I think. It needed more weight in the nose and probably needed the front suspension to be droop limited.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline SteveM

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 05:49:58 PM »
What do you guys think about a "ballast box" full of water in the front of the bed?  I realize there's only a limited amount of space in the front of an S-10 bed, but maybe a 50 gallon container or so?  That could provide for 400# of extra weight, without having to tow it around with the extra weight.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »
What do you guys think about a "ballast box" full of water in the front of the bed?  I realize there's only a limited amount of space in the front of an S-10 bed, but maybe a 50 gallon container or so?  That could provide for 400# of extra weight, without having to tow it around with the extra weight.

Steve.

If you need the water then that would help but if you don't lead or steel in the same area would have a lot bigger impact in less space.

One factor that plays into this is the speed and HP you are running.  If you run the "Horse Power Needed For A Lakester or a Car to Run a Certain MPH" spreadsheet here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville-spreadsheet-index.html#HP%20needed%20for%20A%20Lakester

... it will give you the weight you need on the drive wheels for the vehicle for different speeds/HP.  A streamliner needs less weight for traction then say a comp coupe to run the same speed because it will do it with less HP.

So now you know the weight you need over the drive wheels but what about where that weight is and the effect it has on the CG vs. the CP.  You might now need more weight forward also to move the CG ahead of the CP.

This link will give you an idea on how to arrive at a rough estimate in figuring where your CP is and you can weigh the car and figure the CG .....

http://1fatgmc.com/car/14-Hooley/14%20-%20hooley-construction-2014-2.html

A pickup is hard to keep all of this where you might like it since the cab is so far forward on the body moving the CP further ahead than a lot of vehicles.  Roadsters aren't easy either and one reason a lot of them spin, but a lot of them refuse to also add weight forward.

Using the spreadsheet above and the option for figuing your CP is not hard to do so why not do it.  You might at least see if you are in the ballpark. 

The first year Hooley ran a 219 and after that when we planned on going faster I thought we were right about the limit we could go with the weight on the rear axle and needed to add weight if we wanted to go faster and not just spin the tires at the aero wall and we did.  But we also added weight forward to help keep the CG forward. 

I think we are close again to needing more weight on the rear axle but instead of that we can start trying to gain downforce for traction with the wing and we now have the vertical stabilizers which really help to move the CP rearward.  So we might be able to stay right where we are weight wise which would be good for acceleration and also have a car that is less likely to spin,

Sumner

Offline buickracer69

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 01:51:41 PM »
As a quick update, we have made it through the Ferguson Riot situation fairly well so far. We have been down there late almost every night to make sure nothing bad happens. Since I have been stuck there I figured I might as well work on my engine and am making progress on that.

Here is a picture of it in the hone.

I hope to have the short block together at the end of December.

Hope you all are doing well,

Gary Lewis

Offline tauruck

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »
Good one Gary, hang in there and be safe. :cheers:

gkabbt

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 06:15:26 AM »
Glad to hear you guys are OK from the rioting!

Thinking about your truck yesterday, I remembered the 1991 Sonoma that GMC Truck Motorsports built:

And the article I got this pic from is:

http://www.sportmachines.com/wiki/Motor+Trend+Jan+1991

The engine for this truck was pretty impressive, 549 HP V6 and it put down a two way average of 204.145 with Donnie Stringfellow driving.

Gregg

Offline salt27

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2014, 10:47:28 AM »
I remember the bed cover on that Sonoma, very interesting.

Don