Author Topic: Veterans  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Veterans
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:08:46 AM »
We salute and support all of our military veterans, active, retired, in the reserves, and the wounded warriors. If you see one today tell them thank you for your service and for protecting this great country.
God bless them all. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Veterans
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »
Thanks, Glen.

I'll have to watch a few episodes of the old NBC TV series "Victory At Sea" today. Leonard Graves was the narrator on this series and did a terrific job-- what a voice!

Here is a picture that I took when I was in high school. We were on a trip and I took a photo of General George Patton's grave marker in the American cemetery in Luxemburg. When I had it printed, it was an accidental double- exposure overlaying an earlier picture that I took of "Dragons' Teeth" tank traps on the Siegfried Line in Germany. Strange!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
Midway, the Battle of Britain, Kursk, a lot of those guys went out and knew chances were they would not come back.  All turned the tides of war in our favor at critical times.

gkabbt

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 12:25:23 PM »
Here is a pic of the North Africa American Cemetery and Memorial in Tunis, Tunisia.

Lynda and I were there several years ago and it was a very somber and moving experience.....like Arlington.

Gregg

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 01:01:39 PM »
For those that do not already know, one of my older brother's was killed in Vietnam 1968. He is still listed as MIA because his remains
have never been located.  In 2006 the army sent my mother (now aged 94) a letter stating that they had gone back to the battle area
where he went missing. During their excavation efforts they found one of his dog tags. They later sent it to her, totally bent and mangled but still legible.  There were eight soldiers in my brothers unit that went missing that night, when they finished the excavation in 2006 they had recovered the remains of five of the eight missing men.  The military still spends a great deal of time and effort to locate the remains of missing service personnel.
My thanks to all Veterans both living and deceased. A nasty job performed by special men and women.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 04:16:57 PM »
Got my free pancakes at Bob Evans today!  :-D Wish all our troops were home and safe, (and) the politicos that sent them were in their place!  :x

Niel, a single exposure shot from 2000! A copy of yours is going into my Patton files!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
Got my free pancakes, as well!
Happy Veterans Day to all of my
fellow brothers and sisters in the
Armed Forces, too.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »
Got my free pancakes at Bob Evans today!  :-D Wish all our troops were home and safe, (and) the politicos that sent them were in their place!  :x

Niel, a single exposure shot from 2000! A copy of yours is going into my Patton files!  :cheers:

Woody;

Notice the difference in the two crosses. Patton was originally buried among the rows of his troops with the same type of grave marker as any other soldier, a simple cross with his name, rank, serial number and unit affiliation. I took that picture in 1955; later someone thought that he should be moved to a separate place and a new grave marker was installed. I think Patton would have preferred to lie among the troops who fought and died for him.

Plan B

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »
Speaking of Patton;  "Killing Patton" by Bill O'Reilly is fascinating ... well worth reading.

Monte, you've told that story before and it gets me every time. I was there in '68. Thank you for sharing it again.

Best wishes to all my fellow vets.

P.S. If you've digested the pancakes, check out Olive Garden ... free entree for the vet.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 08:11:09 PM »
I agree, "Killing Patton"  is a good book. It was particularly interesting to me because when we lived in Mannheim- Feudenheim the site of his accident was not far away. My grandmother died in the same Heidelberg military hospital as Patton did. Joline's oldest son was born there, too.

His book "War As I Knew It" is well worth reading

Offline tauruck

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »
Happy veterans day. My countrymen although not well documented made a significant contribution
in WW11.
My thanks to all who served.
To my late uncle Ernie who lied about his age to join up (16) and was wounded in Italy from which he never really recovered
a special thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_aces_from_South_Africa

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »
T - There is a list of 25 names of WW2 fighter aces that fought in the RAF / SAAF from South Africa.  There are listed 6 KIA-s.   Quite significant.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 10:20:37 PM »
Pat Pattle had 41 kills and it is said that that was the highest number recorded during the war.