Author Topic: tall deck 366 Chevy  (Read 13416 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: tall deck 366 Chevy
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »
Some asked earlier what are you trying to do with this thing---I love the  BBC but building one that will be competitive is going to be a problem with out big money on heads and a custom stroke crank  Summs right they are tech. and designed challenged !
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline woz

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »
I am looking at a truck that is set up for a BBC, perhaps initially a 130-150 street legal truck.  It has no motor at this time and the 366-427 TD's seem to be plentiful around here.  Perhaps it could evolve down the road but probably will try to get to Wilmington (quite a bit closer to Indiana) before hopefully running on the salt someday instead of spectating every year.  Thought it might be viable to try the smaller engine class with the 366.   

Thanks, Woz

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
I am looking at a truck that is set up for a BBC, perhaps initially a 130-150 street legal truck.  It has no motor at this time and the 366-427 TD's seem to be plentiful around here.  Perhaps it could evolve down the road but probably will try to get to Wilmington (quite a bit closer to Indiana) before hopefully running on the salt someday instead of spectating every year.  Thought it might be viable to try the smaller engine class with the 366.   

Thanks, Woz

1)  For a normally aspirated engine, think very carefully about any "combination" of geometries that compromises intake valve area as a percentage of bore area, unless low end torque is your main goal.

2)  The above relationship is "less" critical when the engine is blown.

3)  Big blocks with bore diameters less than 4.125"/4.250" limit the cylinder head choices that can be utilized, especially in aftermarket heads.   Make da** sure the heads you intend to use can flow enough to feed the "flow demand" for the bhp and rpm you intend to run.

4)  Consider the LONG TERM cost of any initial parts selections you might make early on.

Trust me on this, the good feeling of acquiring parts at affordable (cheap) prices may turn into bitter disappointment if or when the performance is compromised.   I see this all the time in my consulting business.    It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to make a silk purse out of the proverbial sow's ear.

Do some research and/or testing to determine for certain whether the parts in question will function as you desire.   It's the smart move in the long run.

Good luck with your project, and don't let my moniker fool you into thinking I don't know much about Bowties . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 10:47:08 AM »
This is obviously about having fun on a low budget in a short time frame so I say go for it.
The stock heads have ports the size of pi$$ holes in the snow so they won't make a whole lot of revs. Any of the 396 closed chamber heads will work fine on the 366. If you're in farm country like I am, you will likely have plenty of old pickups (pre 73) lying around with oval port closed chamber 396's plus you can change the monster water pump down to a pu/car size while you're there. The 366 will probably have a govenor carb on it, toss it in the scrap bin. Theres a good chance when you think you have a 366 you actually have a 427, you'll only know for sure when you measure the bore.
  Sid.

Offline woz

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 01:52:45 PM »
Thanks for all the quality information.  The condition and price are such that I will probably get it or the 427 TD regardless.  The 427 may be a better option over the 366 with perhaps a more favorable resale value down the road should I not use it based on the stroker capabilities I read about?  I am always intrigued with "small" versions of "big" engines.     

Woz
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:39:03 PM by woz »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 06:04:27 PM »
I like the half a hemi Like George Fields used to run! :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

gkabbt

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 07:00:24 PM »
I like the half a hemi Like George Fields used to run! :cheers:

And like Steinegger & Eshenbaugh run in their F/FL that just set a record at Elmo last weekend.

Here is their thread from last weekend.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,14573.0.html

Gregg

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 07:01:59 PM »
1/2 is what the S&E team ran this weekend!!!!!!!!!!  At EL M
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 12:03:54 AM »
I don't where the math ends up but a 4.250 bore with a 3.48 crank will equal near 400" our Dirt Track engine is a 4.125 bore and 3.48 stroke has 372" using all eight......find a good Dart at 4.125 and build a great "C"..good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline woz

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 06:34:10 AM »
I went ahead and got a machined 366 block for next to nothing.  With the .030 overbore it is right at the "C" limit.  Plenty of 427 TD's and 454's available but thought we would mess with the oddball combo at first.  I was looking at an ad for an 3.0 crank and calculated that at less than 300 inches with the 3.965 current bore.  I was just wondering what small cube "big-block" combinations have been tried and been successful.  With the tall deck design a short stroke would appear to present a lot of challenges.

Thanks for any info!

Woz

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 08:58:35 AM »
I have an unused Bryant 3.10 crank  if you wanted to try something strange.

Offline woz

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 09:20:04 AM »
That looks like 306.216 cid with my bore.... a little too big for "D"

Any idea how a tall deck would work with such a stroke?

Thanks, Woz

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:23:26 AM by woz »

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 01:26:58 PM »
"I was just wondering what small cube "big-block" combinations have been tried and been successful."    The SCTA 2014 car points champion                             
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline woz

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 03:47:47 PM »
I thought #811 was small block powered.  Regardless, I need to do alot of research if trying to get a 366 down to "D" size and stay on a budget.

Thanks, Ron  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:17:39 PM by woz »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2015, 03:54:45 PM »
You are likely to find that the "C" size is the smallest "practical" big block power plant.

But I learned long long ago, never tell someone they "can't" do something.   8-)

Good Luck on the your project. 
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...