Author Topic: Non contact torque sensor:  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Non contact torque sensor:
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
Just ran across a very interesting device, it is a non contact torque sensor that will work with any steel (material needs to be magnetic) shaft including hollow tubing (think drive shaft) to provide real time torque readings. With one of these you could make your car into a real time dyno. This is their site: http://www.tam-sensors.com/active-2-sensor-kit/. Doesn't take much thinking to see what sort of possibilities a device of this type could bring. I do not know the pricing ( I have requested that info) but I am sure that some of the more well funded efforts could probably afford one. Instant info on whither that last tuning change helped or hurt your horse power!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline dw230

Re: Non contact torque sensor:
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »
AEM has a similar device known as a drive shaft dyno.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:47:48 PM »
You might find that these multi-time record setters also use this type of technology. Probably have for over 10 years.....  :-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:18:09 PM »
Mike,
Why does that not surprise me? Probably one of the most tech and out of the box thinking group at the salt!

Rex
Rex

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:22:24 PM »
It is possible to build a torque- sensing system yourself. A front- engine car can use its drive shaft twist to measure torque.

Install an anti- lock wheel sensor on the front and rear of the drive shaft and measure the time difference between the pulses. The drive shaft will twist in proportion to the torque that it is transmitting. The twist must be calibrated. Also, the measured torque varies with the transmission gear ratios of course, so to get engine torque you must divide the measured torque by the tranny ratios.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:25:22 AM »
About 15 years ago (light years really) I was involved in a project to validate engine bhp of rebuilt armored vehicle engines using then new, no contact torque sensing data collection.   As far as I am aware, the process is still being used, still very "confidential".   The pay was great though . . . . . . .

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline POPS

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »
We developed a torque sensor for T/F about 15 years ago. The unit interfaced with a ProII Racepak. We instrumented the Female/Female coupler with straingages. The power to the sensor and the strain signal back were all done with RF. The good news is the info was really useful. The torque curve followed the clutch controller curve. Around 4000 ft-lbs on the leave and 8000 on lockup. A spike of 11000 to 14000 ft-lbs was common at lockup due to the energy stored in the Goodyear flywheels. The bad news is we couldn't make the straingages stay glued to the steel because of the torque spike. I had to quit selling them because they would only last 4 to 6 runs. The project hurt my wallet. HP calculations are interesting, use 8000rpm. 

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »
Doing the numbers is pretty interesting. 8000 lb-ft @8000 rpm is about 12,000 + hp and at the 14,000 lb-ft spike it is 21,000+ hps!!! Now that is real horse power.

The TAM transducer is magnetic and does not require gluing on strain gauges so it might survive better.

Rex
Rex