Author Topic: And Now for Something Completely Different. . . . .  (Read 3514 times)

gkabbt

And Now for Something Completely Different. . . . .
« on: October 25, 2014, 08:55:06 PM »
The Grassroots Motorsports Magazine $2014 Challenge!

In case you don't know, Grassroots Motorsports magazine is geared for the sports car folks but, to me, is a REALLY good magazine. On top of all they do, they began this challenge race for readers years ago and the premise for them is to build a competitive car that can autocross, drag race and be presentable in a concours. The dollar amount is equal to the year, hence $2014.

Back at the beginning of the year, a friend of mine from Maryland started building an '83 Rampage for the $2014 challenge. He knows a "bit" about previous challenges as he has won two! I offered any parts from my Rampage I was not using but due to the distance and travel time, I could not help in construction. Due to the amount of changes/innovation he was doing and then work and family commitments, my friend unfortunately had to throw in the towel late summer.

The seed was planted back at the 1st of the year for me to go the challenge in Gainesville, FL and I was there yesterday and today - 10/24 & 10/25. Friday was the autocross and drag race and today was the concours. I did not hang around long today and Lynda and I had other places we wanted to go in FL.

So without further ado, here are my Google+ pics:

https://plus.google.com/photos/115248360774022016668/albums/6074294302500436465

As usual, I hope you enjoy!

Gregg

Offline Stan Back

Re: And Now for Something Completely Different. . . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »
". . . to build a competitive car that can autocross, drag race and be presentable in a concours. The dollar amount is equal to the year, hence $2014."

I wish I'd had them around to manage my budget.  You're sure there ain't a digit or two missing?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

gkabbt

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
". . . to build a competitive car that can autocross, drag race and be presentable in a concours. The dollar amount is equal to the year, hence $2014."

I wish I'd had them around to manage my budget.  You're sure there ain't a digit or two missing?

Most of the cars looked liked they did accomplish the $2014 goal but the were a couple that seemed to be WAY more!
I was talking to a couple of guys who told me that there was a guy there last year with a SBC with SB2 heads.....
He said he found the heads in a junk yard. I guess I NEED to find what yard he goes to!!!!!
I need to dig into how the judges rule on the cars!
It was still a good time!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »
In case anyone is interested, this is the car that won the Challenge:

And here is the link to the story on the GRM site:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/who-built-the-best-car-with-2014/

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:43:56 AM »
I should have added in my original post that there was an ECTA/LTA racer in the Challenge.
His name is Andrew Nelson, his wife is Paula and they have run a '54 Studebaker in C/CGC at Maxton and Loring.

Here are some pics of their LSR Studebaker I found on the net:

Good folks to talk with and they hope to have their Stude in Wilmington next year.

For the Challenge, they were running this Pontiac Sunbird that won the Drag Racing portion running in the 10's.

Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »

I'll wait until next year, when the budget increases.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
I wonder how many of those cars you'd leave with if you offered the owner $2014.00 for it??????

How are they controlling and proving up the amounts spent on these cars. Heck fire I'd get an Audi Quatro too if that's what they cost :roll:

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

gkabbt

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 06:04:37 AM »

How are they controlling and proving up the amounts spent on these cars. Heck fire I'd get an Audi Quatro too if that's what they cost :roll:

Rouse

The GRM site with all the rules http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/extra/2014-challenge-rules/

And this is the Budget portion from the above site:

Budget:
 Net cost of the Challenge car and its preparation for presentation at the event must be equal to or less than a dollar amount equaling the year of the competition. Up to half the total budget may be recouped by selling parts originally included with or attached to the Challenge car at the time of purchase. Your purchase price of the Challenge car cannot top that year’s budget cap.

In English, what does this mean?
 For 2014, the budget cap is $2014.
 For 2014, the most you can recoup through parts sales is $1007.
 For 2014, the max you can initially pay for a Challenge car is $2014.

Documents supporting your budget (both purchases as well as sales) must be presented to the GRM staff and also must be made available to fellow competitors. We suggest putting these documents in some sort of three-ring binder. This budget book must be available during the “show” part of the event.

Costs to pick up your hooptie from the seller are exempt.

Title fees and so on, in case you bothered, are exempt.

Shipping counts toward parts prices. Sales tax does not.

These safety items are budget-exempt: seat belt or harness; fire extinguisher; roll bar padding; wheel lugs, studs and bolts; and your first four tires. Brake friction materials, lines, calipers, master cylinders, rotors and drums may be replaced with fresh ones that are functional duplicates. The purpose of this rule is to allow for fresh brake components, not to allow for budget shenanigans. For example, original brake parts cannot be sold and then rebought to take advantage of this allowance.

Any inside deals—parts, whole cars, trades, donations, stolen parts, etc.—must be added to the budget at fair market value. If you can’t figure out the value of a part, ask on the message board at grassrootsmotorsports.com.

Labor you perform yourself does not count. Any labor you pay for counts. If you run a shop and your paid employees work on the car, then it counts.

Crapcan Clause:
 24 Hours of LeMons race cars are automagically legal, provided they meet the spirit and intent of our rules.

Hope this helps,

Gregg
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:10:10 AM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 06:44:58 AM »

I'll wait until next year, when the budget increases.

Chris, I've had to think long and hard on this and even talked with Lynda about your budget issue.  :|
We're willing to help out on this with $5.00 so you'll only need to come up with $2010.   :evil:  :lol:  :-)  8-)  :mrgreen:  :-D  :cheers:

Gregg