Author Topic: Motorcycle engine rules  (Read 11041 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Motorcycle engine rules
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 07:00:31 PM »
I sort of remember a bike (175cc I think) that ran a record at Bonneville a few years back.  I believe the engine came from a rototiller or something similar. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »
Did Weslake make Rototillers?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 08:07:34 PM »
I know of a bike that ran an engine that was made for a Go Cart or something. But it was almost the same as the similar bike engine. just one plate was different. This engine was the kart version, but had an after market plate on it. So it was legal.

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »
Yamaha made a 100cc go cart specific two stroke motor (kt100) that could have been swapped in. The one with the pull start snowmobile motor made look twice  :-) 

Once they got to be FI three cylinders with 200hp+ I expected to see some more adaptation but so far nothing new has come along.
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 09:41:48 PM »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 10:14:40 PM »
Triumph made twin cylinder aircraft power generators during world war two.  They had alloy cylinders and were advanced engines for their time.  They used them in a number of models they made just after the war.  The engines have square finning made to fit behind a shroud and the bosses for the screws holding on the shrouds are cast into the fins.  The "generator engine" Triumphs had a few important race wins in their day.  They are prized now.     

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »
Triumph made twin cylinder aircraft power generators during world war two.  They had alloy cylinders and were advanced engines for their time.  They used them in a number of models they made just after the war.  The engines have square finning made to fit behind a shroud and the bosses for the screws holding on the shrouds are cast into the fins.  The "generator engine" Triumphs had a few important race wins in their day.  They are prized now.     

Those were 6Kw generators.  The engines were based on the speed twin but used an alloy head an cylinder.  Where they got the aluminum for that during war time is beyond me.  The generators were for the RAF and went under the name of Airborne Auxilliary Power Plant.  They were the basis for the post war GP Triumphs.   Its amazing what's "prized" nowadays.  Even LE Velos and M20 BSAs are considered collectables.

filmermikey

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
A little more info Mikey, isnt it a special construction frame with 2 wheels and a Honda 4 stroke?
 I'm no expert but 2 wheels, a engine, and a pair of handle bars would be condered a motorcycle :?
In my opinion your building a "A" body with a 250cc engine on gas. A/G 250cc, oh yeah and pedals :-D
I've seen crazy billet engines that didnt come from a motorcycle but a CnC machine and bottomless pockets.
it is a pushrod motor so i believe i will be running A/PG 250cc, but tech said the motor has to come originally out of a motorcycle

filmermikey

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
There is an Omega engine class for motorcycles. This would include an electric powered 'cycle.
See Rule 7.J.13.  :cheers:
what is considered an omega? i plan on running a 212cc generator engine that has been fully rebuilt

filmermikey

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 12:37:09 PM »
I sort of remember a bike (175cc I think) that ran a record at Bonneville a few years back.  I believe the engine came from a rototiller or something similar. 
yes i believe i know what you are talking about, there is a motorized bicycle that runs at speedweek. They use a similar engine to mine except its a 160cc instead of 212cc. tech at el mirage said that it would be able to run at bonneville but not at el mirage. apparently the scta has different rules for different places...

filmermikey

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »
I know of a bike that ran an engine that was made for a Go Cart or something. But it was almost the same as the similar bike engine. just one plate was different. This engine was the kart version, but had an after market plate on it. So it was legal.
yes my engine is used in a go karting a lot

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
Omega is defined in the rule book as Steam, Turbine or Electric

filmermikey

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 05:08:53 PM »
Omega is defined in the rule book as Steam, Turbine or Electric
doesnt look like ill be running omega then hagahahaha

Offline MRK

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 02:41:07 PM »
Oh......a generator engine not a generator as an engine. :-o
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline bak189

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 05:28:07 PM »
For many years we ran a 125c.c. Rotax Kart engine in a special race frame with SCTA/BNI and was declared legal.......due to the fact that the same engine was used in FIM motorcycle road racing.....I had documentation showing it was a "motorcycle" engine.....Tom Evans said "you are legal".............Thanks Tom.......love the man

I also build a 500c.c. bike using the power unit out of a Can-Am. (Rotax) snow mobile....it was the prototype for the 500c.c. Can-Am street bike...............This made it a "motorcycle" engine...........I had documentation....Thanks Tom..........................
Question authority.....always