Landracing Forum Home
September 22, 2018, 02:04:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorcycle engine rules  (Read 6595 times)
Nortonist 592

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »

I sort of remember a bike (175cc I think) that ran a record at Bonneville a few years back.  I believe the engine came from a rototiller or something similar. 

Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.
Stan Back

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 06:48:07 PM »

Did Weslake make Rototillers?

Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters California's most-exclusive roadster club.
Celebrating 65th anniversary of racing on the salt.
RichFox

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »

I know of a bike that ran an engine that was made for a Go Cart or something. But it was almost the same as the similar bike engine. just one plate was different. This engine was the kart version, but had an after market plate on it. So it was legal.
Cereal KLR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 08:05:32 PM »

Yamaha made a 100cc go cart specific two stroke motor (kt100) that could have been swapped in. The one with the pull start snowmobile motor made look twice  smiley 

Once they got to be FI three cylinders with 200hp+ I expected to see some more adaptation but so far nothing new has come along.

I thought I would die young, but now its too late.
Nortonist 592

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 08:41:48 PM »

Did Weslake make Rototillers?

Sure did!!

wobblywalrus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »

Triumph made twin cylinder aircraft power generators during world war two.  They had alloy cylinders and were advanced engines for their time.  They used them in a number of models they made just after the war.  The engines have square finning made to fit behind a shroud and the bosses for the screws holding on the shrouds are cast into the fins.  The "generator engine" Triumphs had a few important race wins in their day.  They are prized now.     
Nortonist 592

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »

Triumph made twin cylinder aircraft power generators during world war two.  They had alloy cylinders and were advanced engines for their time.  They used them in a number of models they made just after the war.  The engines have square finning made to fit behind a shroud and the bosses for the screws holding on the shrouds are cast into the fins.  The "generator engine" Triumphs had a few important race wins in their day.  They are prized now.     

Those were 6Kw generators.  The engines were based on the speed twin but used an alloy head an cylinder.  Where they got the aluminum for that during war time is beyond me.  The generators were for the RAF and went under the name of Airborne Auxilliary Power Plant.  They were the basis for the post war GP Triumphs.   Its amazing what's "prized" nowadays.  Even LE Velos and M20 BSAs are considered collectables.

filmermikey
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 11:31:29 AM »

A little more info Mikey, isnt it a special construction frame with 2 wheels and a Honda 4 stroke?
 I'm no expert but 2 wheels, a engine, and a pair of handle bars would be condered a motorcycle huh
In my opinion your building a "A" body with a 250cc engine on gas. A/G 250cc, oh yeah and pedals grin
I've seen crazy billet engines that didnt come from a motorcycle but a CnC machine and bottomless pockets.
it is a pushrod motor so i believe i will be running A/PG 250cc, but tech said the motor has to come originally out of a motorcycle

gear grinders. kx100 a/g in the works
filmermikey
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 11:32:11 AM »

There is an Omega engine class for motorcycles. This would include an electric powered 'cycle.
See Rule 7.J.13.  cheers
what is considered an omega? i plan on running a 212cc generator engine that has been fully rebuilt

filmermikey
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »

I sort of remember a bike (175cc I think) that ran a record at Bonneville a few years back.  I believe the engine came from a rototiller or something similar. 
yes i believe i know what you are talking about, there is a motorized bicycle that runs at speedweek. They use a similar engine to mine except its a 160cc instead of 212cc. tech at el mirage said that it would be able to run at bonneville but not at el mirage. apparently the scta has different rules for different places...

filmermikey
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »

I know of a bike that ran an engine that was made for a Go Cart or something. But it was almost the same as the similar bike engine. just one plate was different. This engine was the kart version, but had an after market plate on it. So it was legal.
yes my engine is used in a go karting a lot

RichFox

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »

Omega is defined in the rule book as Steam, Turbine or Electric
filmermikey
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »

Omega is defined in the rule book as Steam, Turbine or Electric
doesnt look like ill be running omega then hagahahaha

MRK

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »

Oh......a generator engine not a generator as an engine. shocked

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen
bak189

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »

For many years we ran a 125c.c. Rotax Kart engine in a special race frame with SCTA/BNI and was declared legal.......due to the fact that the same engine was used in FIM motorcycle road racing.....I had documentation showing it was a "motorcycle" engine.....Tom Evans said "you are legal".............Thanks Tom.......love the man

I also build a 500c.c. bike using the power unit out of a Can-Am. (Rotax) snow mobile....it was the prototype for the 500c.c. Can-Am street bike...............This made it a "motorcycle" engine...........I had documentation....Thanks Tom..........................

Question authority.....always
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: