Author Topic: Spiders  (Read 10102 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Spiders
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:34:36 AM »
In my life I got bit by a spider once when I was around 25 and three times while I have been 61.  Something is happening around this place.  The bites are noticed after I rummage around under the back porch.  The bottom of the porch is about three feet above the ground.  In that place I keep a wheelbarrow, lawn mower, lawn chairs, the loading ramps for the trailer, bike parts, and other junk.  The crawl space used to be dirt.  A few years ago I covered it with red bricks.  There is no mortar between them.  Just some cracks and crevices.

Some spiders spin webs and wait for prey.  Others do not have webs.  They wait hidden from view and ambush their dinner when it gets close.  We have venomous spides of both types in Oregon.

What I am learning, from experience of the wrong type, is to pave crawl spaces or leave them dirt, wear gloves and knee pads when in them, and to toss in a pest bomb before entering.  It prevents "spider finger."

Offline tauruck

Re: Spiders
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:57:27 AM »
Not a good sight Bo.

Those things do enormous damage.

Hope you heal up quick. :cheers:

Offline bbarn

Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:05:53 AM »
I hate spiders. Delta dust is kid and pet safe, cheap, easy to spread, ZERO "chemicals" and completely effective.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »
Spiders are not on my list of favorites. They have their place and job to do, and that's fine by me as long as they're out of sight.

I have been bitten several time too, and I have my own remedy to keep the bite from doing all the damage. My medical friends cringe when I tell them my technique for curing a spider bite, but it works 100% of the time.

As soon as you notice that you have a bite 1) scratch the top of the spot just till it will bleed. 2) rub your own spit on that spot. 3) repeat several times first day.

The enzymes in your spit will digest the poison, and you end up with a small (1/8") spot that's gone in a few days. Works every time. Other folks I have told this to have tried it and it works for them too.

If you let it go to long, it will be to late for this to work, and you'll end up with a Doctor bill.
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »
We have, I assume, lots of spiders around our house.  We live out in the woods and have an acre or so of lawn around the house.  I see spiders often - but neither Nancy nor I have been bitten (more than maybe a tiny little itch -- no big ones like you, Bo).  But as well as spiders we have a fairly good supply of garden snakes and other critters, like mice, that might eat spiders.  We're not especially scared by either spiders or snakes -- but don't invite them onto the deck for drinks and barbecue, either.  the ice turn down all of our invitations.  The cats enjoy finding the mouses and chasing them around.  The cats are indoors only - but still find a mouse now and then.

Johnnie, your remedy is sort of like my old one for poison ivy.  When I was a kid I got it a lot - and learned to scratch and rub 'til the bubbles broke and then pour some Bactine or hydrogen peroxide on the open skin.  It's hurt like the devil for a couple of minutes, but the ouch went away and a day or three later the raw skin had healed.

Moral of the story:  Unh, how 'bout importing some garden snakes to your neighborhood?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rouse

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 03:44:55 PM »
Slim, Problem with our garden snakes, their either copper heads or cotton mouths.

My nephew was helping weed around my sister's porch, this time last year, and a cotton mouth tagged him right on the thumb. He's OK now, after 130K at the hospital, but his thumb still looks a little goofy. Moral, watch out for cotton mouths while weeding the garden or flower bed.

Take care of that finger Bo, once it's that bad, it could get really worse in no time.

rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
Black widows and wolf spiders love my garage and under stuff that doesn't move much. Gloves and spray always.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:33:08 AM »
Wow.  I think I'll stay here in the UP - where our predators include mosquitoes and coyotes.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rouse

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »
Wow.  I think I'll stay here in the UP - where our predators include mosquitoes and coyotes.

We have them too! :x Along with hogs, lots of hogs. That's why I don't ride a bike much at night, too many critters.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »
Spiders are far more common than you think - you are never more than 15' away from a spider of some sort. Wobbly, your bite looks a lot likke a Brown Recluse (you would have known by now). A bite like that can rapidly become necrotic and once that happens, there is little that can be done. Brown Recluse are not large, maybe 3/8 th's of an inch long and are straw colored. Though they tend to prefer dark spaces, my wife was bitten by one in a motel room. Luckily, she was not particularly allergic to the bite and had a Doctor's appointment two days later (enough time to have an open ulcerated sore). She was very lucky and only ended up with a permanent scar about a half inch in diameter that is now covrered by a tattoo.