Author Topic: More Altered Class Clarification  (Read 5084 times)

Offline MrEracer

• New folks
More Altered Class Clarification
« on: October 20, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »
I have two issues to address: 
1.  I have a fiberglass racing seat made for boat racing and modified with a taller head rest.  The rules state that I must submit a composite seat to the technical committee for pre-approval.  How do I do that and who do I contact to arrange for evaluation?

From the rule book:
"All vehicles shall use a seat designed for racing. The seat shall be constructed of a metal or alloy sufficient to retain the driver under high “G” loading. Composite seats must be pre-approved by the technical committee."

2.  I have an OEM laminated front windshield in a car that will run for records over 200 mph.  The car also has laminated side windows and rear hatch glass.  My question is:  Can I run my OEM laminated windshield in a Modified car?  How about the laminated OEM side windows and rear hatch glass?  The rules start out talking about non-stock windows and windshields and I understand that they must be lexan.  All my OEM windows have the notation that they are laminated safety glass with no cracks.  Also, my door windows have a full frame all around.  Please refer to the sentence that is in BOLD below:  The way I read this, all OEM laminated safety glass is good to go in classes over 200 mph.  What will the tech inspector say?

Per the rule book:
All non-stock windows and windshields shall be made of shatter-resistant plastic, such as polycarbonate (Lexan), and shall provide 120 degrees of adequate vision forward. On all open body cars a windshield is
2015 Rule Book Dry Lakes Racers Australia
2015 Version 1 32 May 2014
recommended, but shall not restrict driver entrance or exit. In all classes where a headrest fairing is permitted, the windshield may sweep around the driver’s head and connect to the fairing on either side (refer to 3.E Driver’s Compartment rule concerning sharp edges).
All windshield wiper blades and arms shall be removed. On front and rear windows, retaining tabs or straps are required over 175 MPH.
Vehicles with T-Tops or moon roof panels shall have the panels retained with tabs or straps.
All vehicles in classes where the record is under 200 MPH shall have SAFETY film on BOTH SIDES of all non-laminated safety glass windows, or replace the windows with polycarbonate material.
All other glass, such as Glass headlights must also be covered in Safety film.
Common window tint will NOT be allowed as a substitute for SAFETY film.
All vehicles in classes where the record is over 200 MPH shall have all non-laminated windows constructed of polycarbonate material.
All vehicles with ‘frameless’ side windows, regardless of speed, must have all non-laminated windows constructed of polycarbonate material
Additional bracing must be installed to prevent window blowout or collapse.
The original roll up window hole may be closed in when replacing the frameless glass windows with polycarbonate.

Thanks for your incite..
SD
Shirl Dickey
Veteran, U.S. Army Airborne, '61-'64
Retired Aerospace Engineer, BSME, UofU, 1970
Circle boat racer, '68-'82 and '10 to present (SK and Comp Jet)
Dirt Bike racer, '66-'84 (MotoX and Desert, big bore)
Aircraft racer, '83-'05 (Varieze and E-Racer)
Road race driver/instructor, '02-'12 (C5 Corvette, 600 hp)
Future LSR racer ('80 Sunbird, potential Altered Class)

Offline jdincau

Re: More Altered Class Clarification
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »
If you want definitive answers go to;
 http://www.scta-bni.org/contact.html
and contact Steve Davies or Lee Kennedy.
Here you will get help but the answers are just opinions.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:31:37 PM »
Take pictures, if you have strength or impact data on the seat send it along as well, show the mounting and bracing.  Contact the chief inspector per the address in the rule book and ask him how he wants the info.

There are several window threads, do a search for the discussions
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:01:57 AM »
Re the windows, safety glass is tempered. I assume the car in question is the 80 Pontiac sunbird mentioned in your sig.  Most cars of that era (and even long before) only had lamination in the windshield. The last car that I remember getting through tech with all laminated windows was a tri-five Chevy. Find a 80s anything in a junk yard and take a hammer to the side window. It'll probably shatter into a million little pieces.

A fiberglass seat would probably need significant metal bracing to even be considered or be very thick. You'd need strength calcs that show its at least as strong as metal to be accepted.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline MrEracer

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
Nathan,
  Thanks for your valuable comments.  After re-examining my window markings I see that the side and rear windows are indeed 'solid tempered'.  So, I'll replace them.  The windshield was new when I built the car in '94 and is laminated and in great shape.  I would like to run it if I can (with appropriate tabs etc.)
  As to the seat.  I am an experienced fiberglass guy and I would like to submit the seat for evaluation and recommended improvements.  I can add fiberglass or metal structure and reinforcement as needed.  Strength calculations for fiberglass can be obtained for flat plates, sphere's etc. which I can get, but calculations on the actual seat would be questionable.  I would be happy to load test the seat to verify its strength as I think that is the real proof of its capability.
Regards
SD
Shirl Dickey
Veteran, U.S. Army Airborne, '61-'64
Retired Aerospace Engineer, BSME, UofU, 1970
Circle boat racer, '68-'82 and '10 to present (SK and Comp Jet)
Dirt Bike racer, '66-'84 (MotoX and Desert, big bore)
Aircraft racer, '83-'05 (Varieze and E-Racer)
Road race driver/instructor, '02-'12 (C5 Corvette, 600 hp)
Future LSR racer ('80 Sunbird, potential Altered Class)

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »
Hi Shirl, glad I could help.  As for the seat, definitely contact Steve Davies and Lee Kennedy as suggested above.  Email pics and specs and what not and then follow up with a phone call.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline maj

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »
SD i see your reference to the DLRA rules, we do base our book on the SCTA but its at least a yr behind and we do change some of the regulations to suit our needs
i would only very loosely use it as a SCTA build reference
much better off getting the SCTA book