Author Topic: Acetylene Torch questions  (Read 9704 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Acetylene Torch questions
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:20:09 PM »
Hey, gang -

I'm looking for advice when buying an oxy-acetylene welder and cutting torch. 

I'm shopping both new and used.

Are there any brand names that are better than others?

Anything I should definitely avoid?

What kind of fuel and oxygen consumption is typical?

What should I be looking for - and looking out for - in the used market?

Thanks!

Chris

I appreciate any insights into this.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Acetylene Torch questions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »
Stay away from the imports. They are constructed as cheaply as possible and border on hazardous. The quality has dropped on the domestic brands in the last ten to fifteen years but they're still better than the imports and you can get parts and service for them. If you found a good used domestic set you might be much further ahead.

I have a friend whose business is sales and service of torches of all sorts. He overhauls all brands. He's shown me the differences between the various types. When the Asians build a torch it's amazing what they leave out and still get the thing to work. He also says if you try to use the HF tips, etc. that are supposed to work with the various domestic brands it usually results in having to get the seats redone so the real stuff doesn't leak.

Pete

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:10:08 PM »
My suggestion would be a Harris cutting torch with three visible gas mixing tubes. They are indestructible, unlike the two tube Victors and foreign models.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:19:01 AM »
Victor Junior has been around for years & has always been a good product & they are world wide, I had one in Australia. A good used set will do everything a new set will, just road test it before you buy it.
Don't buy one with the big industrial torch unless you plan on cutting really big $hit.
I have a Victor Junior in the shop (bought used) & a Harbor Freight piece of fine-china on the service truck & both work well. The "fine china" is a copy of the Victor & the only thing that failed in 12yrs was the 'O' ring in the head & that took less than 30 seconds to change.
I'm in the heavy mobile repair business & I use my hot wrench a lot! :evil:
  Sid.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:15:08 AM »
Chris...This thread proves the old saying that everything you need to know will be within the first 5 replies.  Victor or Harris. End of discussion............OK  Rego too.  And buy new...Any torch set you find used will be a worn out P.O.S that will cost more in repairs than you would have spent.  What else??  Dual stage regulators  ..Spend the extra  $$ and get them.  Gas usage??  Not to be a smart a$$, ( OK , Yes I am )  depends on how much you weld/cut/braze or thaw out frozen pipes up there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:23:23 AM by floydjer »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »
Gas usage??  Not to be a smart a$$, ( OK , Yes I am )  depends on how much you weld/cut/braze or thaw out frozen pipes up there.

I was going to say - since when?  :-D

Realistically, I see my usage being primarily panel replacement and body straightening - British cars seem to need a lot of that - and a little light duty fabrication and tack welding of heavier duty items that I can take to a real welder for a proper job.

A rosebud head looks like a good idea for shrinking and shaping panels.

I really don't see myself doing a lot of torch cutting, but sometimes Liquid Wrench, cheater bars and Sawzalls don't get the job done.

I've been perusing a few YouTube videos, and I'm seeing some units that don't require a restriking of the flame every time.  Pilot light, I presume?

Thanks, folks.  Any other thoughts are welcome.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »

Are you restoring a WWII tank or something?   :mrgreen:

To shrink dents in automotive sheetmetal I suggest you use a 00 or even a 000 tip.   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 01:15:05 PM »
 I have an old Victor dual stage set that I inherited from my Father... so it's probably 70 years old. The only problem I've ever had was the O rings need replaced every now and then. Hoses get bad after awhile so make sure there's no cracks in them. On older sheet metal you can't beat em, but the newer cars ( 70's - present. ) need a wire feed.
 My Nephew swears Acetylene is the worlds best laxative... although I didn't press him for more information... I've never had that problem.

Smitty      :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »

Are you restoring a WWII tank or something?   :mrgreen:

To shrink dents in automotive sheetmetal I suggest you use a 00 or even a 000 tip.   :cheers:

Mike

I wish - If Kate won't let me have a Farmall Super C, it's fair to assume a Vickers Matilda would be out of the question.

No, but now that I've done a bit more research, yes, I expect a rosebud might be an overkill accessory at the moment.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 10:08:04 PM »
The Oring is why I went to a Harris. That said I got along fine with the Victor myself, It was the help that would cause the oring to burn out, not keeping the tip clean and the correct distance from the work. However I've never had any trouble with the large Victors, but it's not out on the job site like the others.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 11:19:50 PM »
Chris, what ever you get be sure to install anti reversion (check) valves between the hose and acy. regulator. they can blow should a flame travel up the hose. It has happend.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 11:29:42 PM »
Chris--I gave up torch welding sheetmetal a long time ago. Yes, It is still a great method to do real Metal Body repair, but for the last 20 years or so I TIG weld and hammer exclusively. I really miss my little Marquette set, though. I have, still, my small Purox for Aluminum work, and a really neat little Victor YJ 40 set that I have never used, but don`t even do much Ally any more. There is a young fellow in Portland that I send all my Aluminum customers to. He learnt in the Bay area working on expensive aluminium European cars....I use my old Victor (medium sized) for all cutting, heating/shrinking with a 000 tip, mostly, and I have a Rosette that I have used about half a dozen times in the past 10 years....And Frank is right. Ideally if you take care of your equipment and use it properly, you can get by without check valves. But I would put them in, that`s for sure...

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 12:41:28 AM »
Or, you could be like some of us tightwads (who, me?)- just buy a cutting torch and use it for all of your cutting/welding.
If you're tempted to buy any used tank(s), check with your local gas supply regarding required tank inspection certificates.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »
Having used regular (read large wand style) oxy-fuel torches for welding and brazing in the past, when it came to buying my own, I wanted something with a little more control and flexibility for close-in work. After quite a bit of research and perusing the intarweb, I opted for the Cobra DHC 2000 (Dillon/Henrob/Cobra I believe). It is a pistol grip style torch capable of finesse work and I can cut steel with plasma cutter quality without having a plasma cutter. It has plenty of heat available for non-sheet metal work and is great for precision rusty bolt removal making it a solid starter tool.

More information can be found here: http://www.cobratorches.com/

I'm sure it isn't for everyone but it works for me.

Regards,

Jim

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »
Thanks, everyone.

I just closed a deal on a really decent Blue Point set-up. 

After talking to my Snap-On guy, it's a rebranded Victor that Snap-On dealers have in their catalogue, and if I need parts, Kurt's a phone call away.

Moving on to tanks, I'll be making that purchase at Northern Tool.  They're not the cheapest on the refill, and I could probably get less expensive tanks by shopping a little harder, but being a retail store, there's the huge advantage to them being open on Saturdays and Sundays.  That has value to me - I can't always sneak out of work during the week.

Curious - is there any reason one couldn't use wire for a MIG machine as filler?  I've got both a roll of flux core and solid core in the basement.

Let's see if I can avoid burning down the garage.  :wink: