Author Topic: SEMA 2014  (Read 8991 times)

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
SEMA 2014
« on: October 17, 2014, 10:57:57 PM »
We were invited to put the Eagle on display at the SEMA show this November. It was supposed to be all about women and great achievements with Jessi Combs featured. We were to be in the new products showcase area. We've been working overtime getting the Eagle ready for the show, finding travel money, making new team shirts, repainting the Eagle on the side of the car, etc. Now I find out they decided to put us outside where the shuttle buses unload and no passes for the team members. I did purchase the passes today on my own. The question I have for those who have been to SEMA, is it worth the money and effort especially if we aren't in the show but out in the parking lot? What do you think?
Ed

Offline Steve Cole

Re: SEMA 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 11:27:21 PM »
The area you are talking about isn't in the parking lot so to speak. It is right in front of the entrance to the show buildings. It is a great display area if that is what your looking for. If you have never been its a good show but I've been there for the past 24 years working the show so it's a little old for me. If you want to walk the show and see it plan on at least 2 full days just to do it! Then if you have time you can go over to the APEX show that is at the Sands hotel for another 1/2 to 3/4 day just to get through it. Your one pass is good for both shows and free shuttle buses run back and forth about every 1/2 hour.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:32:16 PM »
Ed, I go to the show almost every year. Being inside is nice but make no mistake A LOT happens outside. Almost as much goes on outside as inside. I can't say it is worth it for you but I do think any exposure is good for you. If you have already put money aside to go I think you should.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline RogerL

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:40:57 PM »
Lots of things going on outside the main show rooms. Everyone going has to walk through and around this area, you should be there, my 2 cents worth.

Offline F104A

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 12:53:41 AM »
Well so far the comments are positive. Team meeting tomorrow to discuss.
Ed

velocity

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 03:19:22 AM »
Ed

Those shuttles bring hundreds, if not thousands of exhibitors and attendees to the show every morning and take them back every evening. If the NAE will be in their line of sight, you will be getting a tremendous number of eyeballs on you. I would be sure to have someone at the car to answer questions from an hour before the show opens (exhibitors get early access) to an hour after the show closes -- there will be streaming lines of people going back to the hotels.

The parking lots attached to the convention center are more outdoor car shows that anything else.

If you are walking the show, be sure to have a compelling handout for interested parties. DO NOT go empty-handed. SEMA and all the other associations make Vegas a mob scene the whole week.

Offline F104A

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 12:26:11 AM »
Is there security all hours for the car? It sounds like we will have a lot of tire kickers for the first couple hours of the day and the last part of the day as people leave. Not so much in the middle of the day because everyone will be inside. Hope this is worth spending about $6000 or more to make it happen. As of today, the team voted to go to the show.
Ed

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 12:42:44 PM »
There are mass quantities of people inside & outside all day long. If anything there are so many people there, you can hardly move around. My only problem is that the exhibitors are more & more being taken over by the Asians. Ive been there for a number of years and last year was my last. Everything made in the USA is being copied, tools, tires, engine parts etc. On the plus side you see cars with the most incredible workmanship, paint & design, all the latest in tools and new cars

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 01:27:47 PM »
Is there security all hours for the car? It sounds like we will have a lot of tire kickers for the first couple hours of the day and the last part of the day as people leave. Not so much in the middle of the day because everyone will be inside. Hope this is worth spending about $6000 or more to make it happen. As of today, the team voted to go to the show.

You have to ask yourself what you are expecting to get from it. As for security, it is there 24 hours a day but that doesn't assure that nothing happens. You will have people all day long. People will begin showing up  about 1 hour before the show in volume and stay until about an hour after the show then it dies down.

Offline joea

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »
what is the goal and plan of attack to ensure goal is achieved..?..  that would
help answer your question about it being worth going....

Offline JR529

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 10:28:17 PM »
Been going for 20+ years and have had vehicles there numerous times. A few in booths, a few in common areas and once outside in front. They are all great locations. There will be no dead times, even during the middle of the day since they are always running events in front of the convention center. Also, the front parking lot is not used for parking during the show, it is an extended show area and food court. I think you guys will do just fine there. 

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »
Oh, so Jessi will be there...  Here's a pic we took when she ran at Speed Week.  I don't have this framed and on my night stand with hearts drawn on it or anything.   :-D
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline F104A

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 06:25:45 PM »
Jessi will be there but a little busy spending time with all her sponsors. She plans to spend the day with the Eagle on Friday.
Ed