Author Topic: Hey - there's finally a Volkswagen board!  (Read 23894 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Hey - there's finally a Volkswagen board!
« on: October 16, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
I've been getting VW LSR releases from Burly and a few others -- and am finally making the effort to give those racers their own place here on the landracing.com Forum.  I'm going to ask Burly to put his stuff here directly - and everyone else is welcome to read and even post.  Thanks -- and enjoy the new topics.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Bobs68VW

Re: Hey - there's finally a Volkswagen board!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
And here's your first poster...I'm building a 1968 Bug for the USFRA 130 MPH Club...See you on the Salt next September.

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 10:16:19 PM »
Jon, thanx for thinking of us. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to World of Speed and saw the interest in LSR from the Volkswagen contingent. I keep thinking the growth will end soon but it just keeps growing. Hopefully we will see more and more VW LSR racers, both full comp and 130/150 MPH Club racers, both air and water cooled, finding their was to LandRacing.com.. Below is a pic of Dewey and Abe Potters VW Passat, the fastest four cylinder VW on the planet.

Photo by Burly Burlile

See you on the salt.............................

Burly

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »
Normally, folks get stuck behind old air-cooled VWs out on the roads and road rage ensues. . .  After seeing the offerings first hand at Bonneville this year, group therapy sessions are open to the public in early September every year at WOS!!  Come one, come all. . .

Thanks Slim for the gathering place for a fast growing segment of our community. :cheers:
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA
Owner: ProVolks LLC

• Age 70
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:59:16 AM »
Nate brought his wild Porsche suspended and braked Type 3 to WOS for the first time and set a new record for the T3's.

Burly

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 12:36:16 PM »
How fast on both pictured?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

• Age 70
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »
How fast on both pictured?

Stan, Nate and the Type 3 hit 96.990 mph with wide road race tires, full interior and a used engine since his race motor experienced a problem just prior to leaving for Bonneville. He stuck in the beater and came anyway just for the experience.

The orange Beetle belongs to Russell Ritchie in Scotland who had it shipped over and is a recreation of the famous Inch Pincher drag (and 1966 Bonneville) sedan from the sixties. The car was driven by Darrell Vittone, the original driver of the Inch Pincher (along with Dean Lowry) and the car utilized a 36hp engine fitted with Denzel heads. Darrell topped out at 115.536 miles per hour and earned his "1" Club hat by exceeding 100 miles per hour with a VW 36hp engine.

Burly

Offline tercin

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:12:17 PM »
I am glad to see this. I am in the early stages of putting together a 36 hp challenge bug. I am shooting for 2016. A man must know his limitations, 2015 is just not feasible.

• Age 70
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:47:17 PM »
I am glad to see this. I am in the early stages of putting together a 36 hp challenge bug. I am shooting for 2016. A man must know his limitations, 2015 is just not feasible.

Welcome aboard Terry..................................

Burly

Offline T-34

• New folks
    • Vdubber
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 12:29:49 AM »
G'day from down under.

Long time follower of the 36hp challenge and regular spectator at our own Aussie Speedweek held here in Lake Gairdner.

Been building a 'big block' Type 4 turbo powered Oval LSR car for the past 5/6 years but decided to put together a 36hp engine for Speedweek in Feb. Plans are 74mm x 83mm EFI with one of my supercharger kits to help with breathing.

Here's some pics of the car build build so far - https://vdubber.com/photos/mick/album?albumid=668 and my build thread over at the DLRA site - http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1175 The car is basically finished and excepting the engine build just needs final assembly.

Also for anyone who's interested here's a link to my superchargers - http://joeblow.me

Mick.
http://joeblow.me
Superchargers for Aircooled VWs

http://www.vdubber.com
Aircooled blogs builds and banter

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 11:03:27 AM »
Don't forget we have a chat line every Tuesday night at 7:00PM Mountain time.please join us. all subjects are open for discussion. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline vwpsycho

• Potter Bros Racing
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »
Thanks a ton, Burly and Slim, for putting this together.
We have some detail improvements and dyno testing planned for the PBR Passat over the next couple of months. I'll try to post photos and updates here whenever something cool happens.

:cheers:
Abe

Abe Potter
Salt Lake City
2571 G/PS Volkswagen Passat

• Age 70
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »
Thanks a ton, Burly and Slim, for putting this together.
We have some detail improvements and dyno testing planned for the PBR Passat over the next couple of months. I'll try to post photos and updates here whenever something cool happens.

:cheers:
Abe

Glad to have the fastest 4 cylinder VW on board Abe...................................................

Looking forward to seeing your updates.....................

Burly

Offline VWCOOL

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 09:21:19 PM »
G'day! Another Aussie with a VW that has competed at Australian Speed Week on the salt at Lake Gairdner. My '74 Super/1303 is powered by a Weber-fed 1916cc engine built by legend Aussie engine builder Stan Pobjoy for hill-climb racing (in an Aus-spec IRS/BJ '76) but is installed in the 1303 for the 'salt'. It will also be running at the Snowy Mountains 1000 again (standing kilometre) runway sprint event in a few weeks.. after the Australian Hill-climb championships on Nov 1-2.
Motor does 13.85/96mph in the quarter (in the '76) and 124MPH at the salt (in the '74) and 27s/178km/h for the 1000m - a time/speed I hope to improve this year. The hill climber is usually at the pointy end of the Under-2 litre production class for the hill-climbs, too, so is a good all-rounder.
All good fun!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:37:29 PM by VWCOOL »

• Age 70
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 11:13:17 PM »
Glad you found your way to Land Racing.com Glenn. This is the pre-eminent site for all things land speed racing around the world, from Streamliners, to Hot Rods, to Bikes, and now VW's. Looking forward to updates from the Snowy 1000 next month...........................

Burly