Author Topic: Motorcycle front tires  (Read 4804 times)

Offline sofadriver

Motorcycle front tires
« on: October 15, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »
Several manufacturers make super skinny front tires (Goodyear Frontrunners, etc.) but they all appear to have a semi-flat tread area. I'm sure that works great on dragsters but how does it affect motorcycle handling? Anyone gotten noticeably good results after switching to them?
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline bones

Re: Motorcycle front tires
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:29:54 PM »
hey Sofadriver
   Why not use a front tire off a 125 road race bike-- about the same size as the dragster tire.

Bones

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 12:16:37 AM »
Avon makes skinny rib pattern front tire in 21" rim diameter.  In the 70's I raced a Honda SL350 with one of them in the front.  It worked good.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:30:33 AM »
The problem with skinny motorcycle tires is that they are speed rated for small bikes with low mph potential. What speed is the class record?

Jessechop

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:24:28 AM »
I am assuming you are talking the Goodyear front runner car tires. The narrowest I see with them is 2.5". I am not a fan of car tires on bikes under any circumstance, but that's just me.

I run the Avon Roadrider 90/90-21 which has a very similar width, but with far less touching the ground than the forementioned GY. The Avon MKII (or something like that) is offered a little narrower. However, like 55chevr said the speed rating is low.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:16:22 AM »
hey Sofadriver
   Why not use a front tire off a 125 road race bike-- about the same size as the dragster tire.

Bones

The wheels and tires are from my Honda RS125 factory racer but the Frontrunners are considerably narrower and 2" shorter. Since the Bridgestone Battlax slicks from the RS are pretty darn small to begin with, I'm just wondering if the Frontrunners would really make a difference. I don't know if the flattened tread area of the Frontrunners is a pro or a con.
Also, a shorter tire would give me a little larger forward view since I'll be looking above the tire but under the lower fork tree.  :evil:
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 01:47:35 AM »
Mickey Thompsons MT3210 is 25.0/275-18. http://www.aperaceparts.com/tires.html  This was popular on dragbikes and is speed rated. Goodyear made one the same size as well.  Now most of the drag bike racers run a 17" front slick.
John

Offline Frenchinjection

• APS-BPS 750 Triumph Twin 775 . 152.35 record
    • Saltbike 775
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
Bridgestone R03Z is 90/580 x 17  Compound are x-soft, soft & medium.  Medium should be OK for the front.  Date stamped and labelled Racing.  http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/racingbattlax/index.html

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 08:31:54 PM »
It is a good idea to run front and back tires made for the purpose with adequate speed ratings by the manufacturer to compliment each other.  A lot of handling problems go away when this is done.  Compatibility with the tire on the back would be my major front tire selection criteria.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »
It is a good idea to run front and back tires made for the purpose with adequate speed ratings by the manufacturer to compliment each other.  A lot of handling problems go away when this is done.  Compatibility with the tire on the back would be my major front tire selection criteria.

That is a very good point.
I think I'll just stick with the matching Bridgestone slicks.

Thanks all.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833