Author Topic: 1963 Chrysler 300G available  (Read 52485 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
1963 Chrysler 300G available
« on: October 15, 2014, 10:40:19 AM »
Dang it -- this car isn't mine - but maybe one of youse guys is interested, so I'll tell you what I know.  Steve, one of the guys that lives down the Dukes Road from us, buys junk cars and scraps them for the metal in them.  Once in a while he gets a car that isn't junk - and this is one of 'em.

Last weekend I saw this pale green-blue 300G sitting in his wrecking yard.  Wow-o-boy, I looked two or three times to see if I was dreaming.  It looked pretty straight and on four inflated tires.  Two days later it was gone.

But he'd just moved it to his home - didn't junk it.  Last night I asked him about it.  It's a runner - drives out okay.  Push-button automatic, 383.  I haven't looked closely - but didn't see much bodywork that needs doing other than some rear quarter panel stuff.  The paint is sad but original, I think -- sad in that it's faded, but not much rust showing on the body.  I can stop by and look at the interior and more at the exterior if you'd like me to do so.  Tires, under the hood, etc.  Tell me what you need to know.  I can take and post photos, too.

I wish that I was the kind of car guy that could take this and sweeten it and turn it into a fine runner - but that ain't me.  If you are interested in the car I'll be glad to find out what I can about it.  He'll sell it, he said -- and I have no idea whatever what he'd ask for it.  Oh, that I could afford to buy and put it to sharp-looking and running condition -- I'd love it.  Are you interested in it for y our shop?  Let me know and I'll explore the car for you.  And me, too, just in case miracles happen.

Let's hear from you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: 1963 Chrysler 300G available
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:03:08 AM »
Are you sure it's a G, or even a letter series?  Most of them had cross-ram or dual carb 413s.

But nothing wrong with a 383.

Bat Wings or Chicken Wings?

14" or 15" wheels?

120 or 150 mph speedometer?

Love that Virgil Exner Chrysler stuff.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 11:07:10 AM »
No, I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I saw a "G" on the trunk lid.  As I said, I'll take all the questions and ask Steve.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:30:09 PM »
Nope -- not a 300G after all.  I stopped at Steve's place this afternoon and took some photos.

The hood is popped open in this shot, but you can see that the car's front is okey-dokey except where the thing rolled into a tree and bent the hood & bumper.

Other photos:

Right rear lower quarter is a bit funky:

So's the left rear:

It's a 383 2 barrel:

The good news is that Steve had to crank it all of about 3 seconds before it fired up.  A bit of a miss in one cylinder - but it idled okay.

Well, even if it's not a "G" -- I got the 300 part right:

Push button transmission selector, hard to see in the available light of a cloudy late afternoon:

The original buyer's name and the date (January 1964) of delivery:

No, I don't know how much Steve'll take for the car.  I might buy it -- if I can find someone to help (read: do most everything) to spiff it up a bit.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 07:39:03 PM »
As I recall, the 300G had a circular emblem on the quarter panel with a 300 in it with the G below. My first girl friend's father had a 300B- dual quad hemi. The real deal. Dang. And my wife (not the 1st girl friend) says we should not have more than one car per driver. Truck to pull the race car and the race car seem to exceed the limit. Oh well. She tolerates me which is even a bigger deal. :)  :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 09:02:32 AM »
Ya know....God is a Mopar -man...Jeremiah 32:37  " I shall drive them out in my FURY " :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »
The "letter" car with the serious 413 engine in 1963 is "J" (they skipped "I").

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »
I noticed the car at Steve's when I drove past the other day.  It's sitting kinda behind his house and there's a foot or two of snow on it.  If only I knew more and did more body-type stuff.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 11:25:49 AM »
  Jon, I just saw your post [it's snowy here and I'm bored] and if you need any info. on the car, contact Pedro ,Peter Hendrickson, of The Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four, and he will be able to tell you everything that you need to know about the car.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 11:36:18 AM »
Thanks, Doug.  The car's story is no longer than it was when I posted a few months ago.  Steve, the guy down the road that found the car, has taken ill with kidney issues and has quit the scrap market life.  The car is behind his house, in the snow.  I think it's likely to stay untouched 'til spring -- it was -15F at home last night and i doubt the car will start or move. :roll:  Maybe in the spring he'll be ready to do something with it, and also maybe by then we will have won the lottery and I'll be able to afford buying and renovating it.  In the meantime -- it's available for purchase.  Thanks for the direction.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com