Author Topic: Motorcycle rules history info  (Read 16366 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Motorcycle rules history info
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »
Some interesting names on this list.

Joe

Offline streamliner

• Gyronaut X-1: World's Fastest Motorcycle
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 12:04:16 AM »
Those 8-valve Triumph Twin heads from the 1971 list were probably Leppan-Weslake.  IIRC, Triumph had a $1,000 bounty for any record set.  Dave Early, Rosey Lackey, Leppan and I think one or two others were all riding for Leppan and Bruflodt's Triumph-Detroit dealership.  It may have been 1970 where they took home $7,000 through Triumph records.

Here are the L-W heads:

Visit the Gyronaut X-1 Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

Offline konon

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »
From JimL's list -   A-A 750 , Royal Enfield , Don Sliger, 158.126. Whoa !
Sherman racing  M/PG 750

Offline **RP**

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »
A-A. 750 class would be a fuel class.  IIRC he went over 200 with an unstreamlined twin engined. Enfield. On nitro again.   Still impressive for back then.

Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 08:33:41 PM »
This roadster guy remembers that he held the motorcycle record at El Mirage for years with that bike.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JimL

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 02:00:32 AM »
Pic of Dons A-A-750 and his twin engine.  Dad and I were pitted next to him.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5202.0;attach=9060;image

Offline JimL

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 11:03:27 PM »
A lucky find at a vintage toy and hobby shop in Oregon City: the April 1964 issue of Cycle World with an article by Gordon Jennings titled "Bonneville Anyone?". This is the exact issue/article that started my desire to run the Salt, a dream that started that Spring of my Senior year (delayed 5 more years for a little war in Southeast Asia.). The article was written to inform and promote MC participation at Speed Week.

It is a very complete explanation of the classes, rules, useful tips, and contact person (with address.)

A short summary:
- engine sizes were 50, 100, 125, 175, 200, 250, 350, 500, 600, 650, 700, 750, 883, 1000, 1200, and 3000

- as discussed earlier, A engines were unlimited mods on a motorcycle manufacturers engine.  No other engines allowed (just like we did up until two years ago....oops...was that out loud?).  A engines had classes for fuel, gas, blown fuel, blown gas.

- C engine were stock cases, head casting, and cylinder casting.  Allowed replacement parts (except those castings) were supposed to "closely resemble" original parts.  You could change cams, valves, pistons, etc but the stroke must remain stock.  Any type/size carb could be used (but that "resemble" issue left me hanging with my CV carbs for obvious reasons).

- C class note: Anything over 250cc was limited to 4-speeds; below that were allowed 5-speeds (which was over with by '69).  Because I began my build to those rules, during yearly leaves from the Army, my bike was 4-speed for the '69 event.  When I rebuilt the bike for our 2007 Speed Week, I used 5-speed bottom end with an even closer ratio trans from a different model (click here to see a short video of this bike leaving the line on a Time Only run in '07).http://home.earthlink.net/~leinfam/id2.html

- Also, sub-250 C engines were allowed to change bore AND stroke within the displacement class entered IF the manufacturer or distributor registered that bore and stroke with AMA.  (Give that one a moments thought  :wink:). C engines were 100 octane gas only, and no blown classes.

- C frames could have plates or struts added for safety reasons (but my welded in swing arm pivot supports put me in A).

- C frames had to be based on production street bikes.  A stock Norton Manx was an A bike, for example.

- Footpeg rules were very similar to our current standard, while Partial Streamlining was front fairing only.  Front wheel had to be fully visible, of course.

- If you were not a licensed racer, you were required to include a resume of your competition experience along with your entry.  (A copy of my 500cc Junior level AAMRR road race license satisfied Earl Flanders.)

- Tires....some things never change!  If you planned/hoped to run fast (150 or better) you needed road race tires.  In 1964 that was Avon or Dunlop; by the time I ran in '69 Goodyears were also approved (purchased from Carrol Shelby ONLY back then.)

Hope this was fun reading...I was sure happy to find that old magazine today!

JimL
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:16:04 PM by JimL »

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 01:06:52 AM »
Very enjoyable read.  Thanks Jim.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline **RP**

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »
Great info Jim.  It must have been cool to find that old Cycle World issue....I will have to set an eBay search for that issue into motion, any maybe some old SCTA rule books can also be found on eBay.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:43:52 PM by **RP** »
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline JimL

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »
Cycle World, April 1964, is the mag.  If the current Cycle World did not refile their copyrights from the 60's, I could scan and email you the article. 

They may not have, because very few of us paid attention to the Library of Congress announcement "way back when".  All of my music copyrights from the early-to-mid 60s are expired because of that change.  The new regs provide a longer life for our current copyrights, which actually carry on for our heirs (and its cheaper and easier to file under the new system....government sometimes gets it right!)

I think the motorcycle rules were mimeographed sheet, sent by Earl Flanders after you wrote to him.  I remember that what he sent me faded away over the years and I did not save it at some point.  I do still have the mimeographed results sheet he mailed out, in my scrapbook for that event...its getting pretty dim.

JimL

Offline **RP**

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
Finally picked up a 64 Cycle World on eBay at a reasonable price....I was not going to spend the money, but this guy had page photos in the listing and when I saw it also had coverage on the Detroit custom bike show...I clicked on the Buy it Now button. 

Anyways, the Bonneville article did have a lot of info on the rules and I was surprised it was a full 2 pages with just one small photo.  It did refer to "the rule book" a few times, so the AMA must have started printing something by 64.  It also mentioned the rule book was indefinite on some things and the AMA referee would make on the spot rulings on classification...like you showed up with a bike you built for C and you ended up in the A class.  Sounds like being unhappy with the rules is nothing new.       
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com