Author Topic: My WOS story.  (Read 19134 times)

Offline srthomsen

• New folks
  • yeah, it IS L.A. surprising huh!
Re: My WOS story.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 04:31:23 AM »
m610 that was one of the GREATEST stories I have ever read! a fantastic account of a low budget shot at bonneville.

I used to race a pinto at riverside occasionally and the biggest thorn in my side was a guy with an opel kadett. (but! i was always a quarter panel ahead!)

Offline m610

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 12:16:03 PM »
You're making me blush. (Maybe I should send the story to the NYT. ;) )

Those little cars can be feisty.

We're racing against a Pinto these days and it is getting faster. It was built by the guys that built the Model T GT (using parts for an abandoned Model A and Model T), so I call it the Model P GT.

That magical 2.4L motor may actually appear, and if it does, we'll come back and try again.

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 06:34:09 PM »
Nice story and article.  Sounds like you have a lot of fun with the car at various events.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline m610

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 02:25:27 PM »
Thanks, and yea, we've sure gotten our money's worth out of this car (15 races, over 10,000 race miles, and 2 trips to Bonneville), unless you count up how much money we've actually spent on the car.

Oh, and a month on display at the Sacramento Auto Museum, a (botched) parade lap at an IndyCar race, and this weekend on display at the Sacramento International Auto Show.

P.S. I sent the story to the NYT. Can't hurt and who knows.

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 10:26:26 PM »
  Here's an Opel that I drove for the Buick dealer in Livingston,Montana. This was taken at Lewistown, Mt. [About 1968]. Won Jr. Stock Eliminator. Everybody had to spot me about half the track and they just couldn't catch that little 1.9 L. Fun times.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
That would be at least 1971 as that was the first year the Opel Manta was sold in the US. Opel's are near and dear to my heart as my first car was an Opel Manta Rallye like the one in your photo (except mine was blue). I'd love to have one of those today.
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 10:27:58 PM »
This was a great story! Thanks for taking the time to write and post it.
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 05:32:07 PM »
My first car was a '71 Opel Manta Rallye as well.  Blue.  I need to find some photos of that car to post here.

They were considered "quirky" back then, but I sure wish I had one now.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »
Mike,

I can confirm that on the return road you was quicker than on the track :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline m610

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 11:33:44 PM »
Love the photo. Got any more?

I can confirm that I wasn't much slower on the return trip.

I'm not sure if I did this already, but I did a write-up for our 2012 trip, our first time on the salt. I also tracked down other Opel GT salt flat racers and got their story. If you are interested, click the link below.

Link below: www.kstreetstudio.com/OMC/issues/Blitz-2012-06.pdf

Mike